Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      59.89%
      Among the other things done lately I made flax gel for the first time. The process used was to cook (whole, not broken or meal) flax seeds (boil) for about 10 minutes until the mucous like substance just starts to form, then let it sit for 40. Once cool, pour into a container through a cheesecloth and strain out through that cheesecloth or nylon sock.

1/4 cup of seeds boiled in about 700ml of water yielded a sizeable amount of gel. The consistency is very much like snot or mucous but I know this does not actually contribute to mucous in the body, rather, it is very healing. It is popular form of natural hair gel that isn't (by itself) flammable.
      However, I wasn't making it to consume today, or for hair gel, but to use it in an experiment. I mixed it with a relatively small amount of 100% alcohol in a glass container then set it alight in a deep metal sink. LOL. The idea was to see if the gel could in any way burn or extend the alcohol mixture. I didn't get a chance to find out.

I've burned lots of ethanol lamps in glass jars with a wick and straight ethanol (sealed with a lid with a hole through which the wick is extended out) . They all get hot in the application that I use them but none got destroyed so quick. Mind, with this experiment I just set the top of the open jar on fire so it wasn't burning with a wick or lid but within maybe 20 minutes the glass jar broke. I guess it got super hot.

I also did some research and found not only could it be used for biodiesel (with other modifications) but also a form of napalm.

Oh, and as I shaved yesterday I can testify that it works as a shaving gel as well (the gel, not the alcohol gel)
      Last edited by Stravinsk; Today at 08:16 AM.

2. Likes ImaginaryDay2 liked this post
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Piratey

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,118,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.08%
      During my wall mending yesterday I found a cable that comes in from the outside. I'd wondered where it would be, and should have guessed it would be in about the most inaccessible spot imaginable. It's the cable that comes back indoors from one of the outside lights, and seems to come in right behind one of the wooden studs nailed to the wall. I want to replace it with a new cable (PVC sheathed, grounded etc) and I'm hoping it isn't nailed to anything under the floor. I really don't want to have to lift two layers of floorboards just to pry a cable off the joists but suspect I'm probably going to have to. If that is the case, maybe I can run a fish tape through the cavity for now, and pry the old one off when I'm ready to lift the floor. That would be nice.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married

Mood:
      Piratey

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,118,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.08%
      Another round of fixing drafts. I found a few yesterday when checking out an upstairs wall, and today I found a bunch more. Some of them were quite nasty. There's also a draft coming in from behind a couple of studs in the corner, and I strongly suspect I'm going to find another piece of cackhanded workmanship where the porch is concerned - it's coming in at more or less exactly the point that a beam to support the porch would come through the wall, so my guess is that I've got another case of a hole cut and not sealed.

An interesting task today was to try and cement a concrete strip into a hole that was mostly below the floor line. I couldn't get at it from above or below very well, so I put on some nitrile gloves (the ones I usually use for clock repair jobs, to keep fingerprints off the brass), and laid the cement in the bottom of the hole with my fingers. Then I pressed the strip into the cement and packed cement in around the bottom of it with my fingers. Finally when I'd filled the hole most of the way up I could finish the job with my pointing trowel, then smooth the whole lot off with the trowel. Not a fun job by any means but it got another hole filled.

Then I dug out a strip of 9" fiberglass from the attic and used it to line either side of the window frame, that was also showing up as a cold strip on my thermal images. It took more fiberglass than I expected, but now both sides are packed. Another interesting aspect is that as I fill gaps and fix walls it not only gets warmer but also quieter - traffic going past just feels like it's more distant. Hopefully by the time I'm done it will be significantly reduced.

With each day things continue to get warmer in the areas I'm fixing, so I'm obviously having some effect.

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married

Mood:
      Piratey

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,118,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      71.08%
      More fun and games with Cement With Fingers.

I called my friendly local travel agent but nobody was there, so I left a message for them to call me back. At 4:55 there had been no call back so I figured I'd get a call on Monday, and got back to my cementing work. No sooner had I put on my respirator (that looks like part of a full-blown hazmat suit) and mixed up a match of cement, guess what happened. Turns out they are open until 5:30. So I finished my cement work and called them again.

It's fun working above the ceiling level, with a crack big enough to put my fingers right into it, trying to pack it with cement when I can only feel what I'm doing and having to use my fingers. But I mixed up about a cup-and-a-half of cement mixture overall, and pressed it deep into the crack. Hopefully now that room will be a little warmer still. For a time I was pleased to see the actual temperature a degree above the heating set point, despite being about 20 degrees below the set point outside. It's a slow process but I'm getting there.

Tomorrow we're having friends round for dinner and he has a lot of construction experience, so hopefully he will give me a couple of pointers of anything I need to avoid if I'm going to just reframe the entire wall. Currently it looks like I've got regular flooring joists supporting a suspended ceiling but for some reason the ceiling tiles are suspended on a lattice of 2x4 beams. Not sure why someone thought that was necessary, but it looks like if I pull down the ceiling tiles and the beams I not only produce a load of spare 2x4s that I can use for something else but also gain a bit of height on the ceiling. I'm debating whether to pull down the ceiling tiles - they are a bit 1970s - but pulling them down makes more work, more mess, and more work to put up a new ceiling. On the positive side, it will give me a lot more access to get at areas of the wall and to run new cabling.