... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Sitting in my recliner enjoying the feeling of being warmer, all the while listening to my furnace not running to achieve it.

If it stays warm tomorrow I get to play with outside mortar. That should be fun. I'll have my ladder ready, now I can get it past where the bags of rubble used to be.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Took a meal around to a couple of friends of ours. They just had a baby last week, so a few of us are taking turns to take them meals. It's not a big deal for us, and it's one less thing for the new parents to have to worry about.

We used to do that for new parents at my previous church as well. It seems like a nice thing to do. The parents seem to really appreciate it.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I'm on Chapter 14 of The Expanding Blaze, by Jonathan Israel. I'm completely jaded with what I've learned about the Revolutionary War and the motives of our Founding Fathers.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Taking a total day of rest from the renovation. I didn't even take a thermal image this morning. I went to the church to fix an issue with the computer, then ran some errands with my wife, now sitting relaxing. Got a friend coming around this evening, so not relaxing too long as we need to tidy the place up a little.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Took a meal around to a couple of friends of ours. They just had a baby last week, so a few of us are taking turns to take them meals. It's not a big deal for us, and it's one less thing for the new parents to have to worry about.

We used to do that for new parents at my previous church as well. It seems like a nice thing to do. The parents seem to really appreciate it.

Wow. I can imagine that.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Back to the renovation, at least for a small part. It warmed up enough to do outside mortar but sadly the rain means it's a complete waste of time to be doing it. So I took the opportunity presented by a break in the rain to play Fun With Angle Grinders. I'd never used an angle grinder before and was impressed at just how easily it cut through a concrete block. I need to cut the block into strips about an inch wide, so I can fill some of the larger gaps in the inner face of my wall. I have no idea why the builder of the house would have left such large gaps there, but they need to be filled in if I'm to have any chance of keeping the place warm without paying a fortune to do it.

So now I've got a bunch of strips of concrete about eight inches long and between 1-3" wide. I also learned that I need to use the angle grinder somewhere the rain will wash away the dust.... wow, the dust....

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Finished my second week at my new job today. I have met about 16 clients so far in the three days.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Got all the concrete dust off me, got cleaned up, and had dinner with a couple of friends. It's been a while since we caught up with them, and a good time was had by all. I particularly like talking with him - his attitude towards life is very much one of "how can I make this work?" which is a refreshing change from another guy I know whose standard approach is to think of a reason why he can't do stuff.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Timber!!

One tree is nearly felled. I put my back out when I started some days ago and had to recoup. An axe and large hard swings don't seem to agree with me very well. Anyhoo - the tree was a large type with multiple thick branches stemming from stump, and I'm managing to get most of it with a hand saw. Atm taking a breather and drinking a kale drink for the green energy. Two more large branches to go, then I have to cut them up into a few pieces each in order to fit them into a rent-a-bin.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Timber!!

One tree is nearly felled. I put my back out when I started some days ago and had to recoup. An axe and large hard swings don't seem to agree with me very well. Anyhoo - the tree was a large type with multiple thick branches stemming from stump, and I'm managing to get most of it with a hand saw. Atm taking a breather and drinking a kale drink for the green energy. Two more large branches to go, then I have to cut them up into a few pieces each in order to fit them into a rent-a-bin.

Do you have anyone nearby who burns wood for fuel? Some years ago I cut down a couple of trees in my back yard (big conifer-type trees). The greenery went through a garden shredder and off to the landfill in a mountain of plastic bags, the bigger branches and trunks went to a neighbor who dried them out and burned them for heat. It was a win-win - he got some free fuel and it saved me the headache of trying to cut them into pieces I could carry out to the car and haul them to the landfill.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Do you have anyone nearby who burns wood for fuel? Some years ago I cut down a couple of trees in my back yard (big conifer-type trees). The greenery went through a garden shredder and off to the landfill in a mountain of plastic bags, the bigger branches and trunks went to a neighbor who dried them out and burned them for heat. It was a win-win - he got some free fuel and it saved me the headache of trying to cut them into pieces I could carry out to the car and haul them to the landfill.

That's a good idea. I dislike waste and would much prefer that my present dwelling have a fireplace, but didn't think about neighbors and a trade off for some fuel. I've only seen one chimney billowing smoke when I walk around my neighborhood. I might ask my next door neighbor as he seems to know more people around than I do.

Thanks.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Reading a Dutch forum. The normal conversations there are about demons, the most horrible false New Age religions, universalism, atheism, bunch of angry ex christians, mockery. Somehow I keep stickin' around there, those ppl are really nice, but since a week or so yay the revivalists are invading it. Ha! Walking as Jesus, it's possible. Something is about to burst here in this Godless country, I can feel it.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just listened to a sermon on 1 Peter online and now going to read some.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's a good idea. I dislike waste and would much prefer that my present dwelling have a fireplace, but didn't think about neighbors and a trade off for some fuel. I've only seen one chimney billowing smoke when I walk around my neighborhood. I might ask my next door neighbor as he seems to know more people around than I do.

Thanks.

I dislike waste too. It often amuses me that when I compare my life to the people who are endlessly (and tediously) virtue-signalling all their environmentally friendly credentials while I remain minded to believe that climate change is merely a global scam to introduce global governance, my lifestyle is usually far more environmentally friendly overall than the virtue-signallers.

I still remember the time a guy I knew who was always going on about global warming was washing empty bottles before taking them to the recycling center (these were beer bottles, so not like there was much to wash out). He turned the tap on and ran each bottle under the tap for a while, leaving the water running between each bottle. I stopped him, and enjoyed the look on his face as I put a couple of inches of water in one bottle and turned the tap off, then poured the water from bottle to bottle to bottle and rinsed the remainder of them out. My water use - about 4oz. His water use to achieve much the same - probably a couple of gallons.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I dislike waste too. It often amuses me that when I compare my life to the people who are endlessly (and tediously) virtue-signalling all their environmentally friendly credentials while I remain minded to believe that climate change is merely a global scam to introduce global governance, my lifestyle is usually far more environmentally friendly overall than the virtue-signallers.

I still remember the time a guy I knew who was always going on about global warming was washing empty bottles before taking them to the recycling center (these were beer bottles, so not like there was much to wash out). He turned the tap on and ran each bottle under the tap for a while, leaving the water running between each bottle. I stopped him, and enjoyed the look on his face as I put a couple of inches of water in one bottle and turned the tap off, then poured the water from bottle to bottle to bottle and rinsed the remainder of them out. My water use - about 4oz. His water use to achieve much the same - probably a couple of gallons.

Is the guy you know/knew Vegan? If so, respect. If not he would do better to be quiet about things like global warming - not to mention massive differences in water and land use between someone who eats animals/animal products and someone who doesn't.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is the guy you know/knew Vegan? If so, respect. If not he would do better to be quiet about things like global warming - not to mention massive differences in water and land use between someone who eats animals/animal products and someone who doesn't.

No, he wasn't vegan. Just prone to get into virtue signalling about being environmentally friendly, not least because he religiously recycled stuff. Shame about the water he wasted rinsing empties.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I made precisely no new mess in my house today. I didn't feel like wrecking anything and I'm waiting for materials before I start restoring, so I took the chance to get the shop vac out and have a good clean up. Some areas I've been working have gotten very dusty, so I figured I'd clean them up a bit. I had to improvise a little working around two piles of laths, but it's a lot cleaner now than it was. The shop vac is also a lot heavier now than it was.

I put a couple of pieces of wood in the bottom of the shop vac, because otherwise the weight of the contents causes the HEPA bags to split at the opening, which means they aren't high efficiency any more. What's really fun is when the fine dust gets into the motor and blown back into the air, which rather defeats the purpose of using a filter bag in the first place.

I'm still really liking the fact that despite a 40-50 degree difference between indoors and outdoors, the areas I've been working feel like there are no more drafts. I'm really hoping that shows in my heating bills.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Fun With Flames.

Today was time to get rid of a bunch of my old laths so I took them out back and burned them. It was snowing a little but that's OK, once the paper I used as kindling took a flame it wasn't long before the thinnest offcuts from my saw followed and from there the laths started burning nicely.

Of my two large piles of laths I got rid of the larger pile. My burn barrel was starting to fill up so I didn't push too hard to get rid of the second pile - that can wait for another time. I'll probably keep a few of them, as I may need shims when it comes to putting drywall on the wall studs. Now I can move around much more freely, it was getting to be a bit of a nuisance constantly working around piles of laths with nails in them.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Goodness. A seller of energy at the door. If you dont knock it off quick they go on and on. I says no hear i stay with the nuon. But this is cheaper. i dont care. Hahahahahahaha i says my man is there not. he always arranged that. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA my man is there not. Oh my. Hes been there not for the last 10 years cuz hes someone elses man. The neighbour was busy for a longer time trying to get rid of that seller. Go away. Cant they take a hint? Last time he came i didnt open, then he talked to the neighbour and just saw me go out of the door. I didnt even try to fake I wasnt home.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Goodness. A seller of energy at the door. If you dont knock it off quick they go on and on. I says no hear i stay with the nuon. But this is cheaper. i dont care. Hahahahahahaha i says my man is there not. he always arranged that. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA my man is there not. Oh my. Hes been there not for the last 10 years cuz hes someone elses man. The neighbour was busy for a longer time trying to get rid of that seller. Go away. Cant they take a hint? Last time he came i didnt open, then he talked to the neighbour and just saw me go out of the door. I didnt even try to fake I wasnt home.

If that kind of thing happens to me I usually just say the landlord pays the bills and they'd need to talk to the landlord. It's about the only way, short of being outright rude, that they go away quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom