Not open for further replies.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Watching 'Red Dawn'. I feel old now. I was 16 when this came out...

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just sitting here quietly posting in the early morning hours while my husband sleeps.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Debating whether to do some more work on the house or go for a walk n the woods. I guess I need to check the temperature outside - it's lovely and sunny but not much fun hiking if it's really cold.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Watching an item on a Facebook bidding page. 5 minutes left!

Edit - the "online timer" was a half second behind. Missed the bid. :/

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
resting after a hard day at work

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Trying to bake muffins with coconut flour and it's not working out.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Spent some time yesterday preparing a room to be returned to at least kinda-sorta normal use. I got all the nails out of the pieces of window trim I removed, screwed a couple of bits of plywood over the windows so I could put the window blinds back up, cleared a bunch of pieces of baseboard and associated trim out of the room and gave it a good clean. The shop vac really works well, since I cleaned the filter and put the new hose in it.

Some of the tools I'm not expecting to use in there for a while are now in the basement where I'd usually keep them, and a surprising number of the surfaces in there are cleared. I took some fiberglass scraps back into the attic because I don't need them under my feet any more, I took my bag of oversized nails I pulled out of stuff down to my big box of scrap metal, and the room looks a whole lot better.

This morning I found another small gap in the inner surface of the wall that's below the floorline. I hate dealing with those - it's in a very narrow space between two wall studs so will be even more fun than the others to try and seal up. There's still another gap where a cable comes in from outside but I don't want to seal that one too far because at some point I want to replace the cable. I can tell it's really going to be fun when I start working on this room again and have to lift the floor. I can hardly wait....

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
there is lightning and thunder going on outside right now and they say it may snow an inch between now and 10 am tomorrow (next 11 hours). The county I work in to the north of me is expecting 1-3 inches of snow. School has been delayed three hours in the morning and it hasn't even started snowing yet.
This is the first spring snow we will have had in this area in the last 15 years.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Finally putting down the first of 3 compositions that I have been playing with on piano. Although I've not stopped improvising and composing at all, I've hardly written down anything for a long while, and if this goes on too long I eventually forget my work. So, it's time to start putting them down again. I finally figured out how to put more than one independent voice on a single staff in Musescore (still relatively new software to me insofar as regularly scoring stuff), and that knowledge has saved a heap of frustration as I'd otherwise have to write it out by hand.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Big snowstorm coming so of course my nose is letting me know through pain :(

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Trying to figure the best way to drill a 4" hole through some ceiling tiles with a lath-and-plaster ceiling an inch or two above it. I'm contemplating trying to break the laths from above so I can get the plaster off, then just drill through the ceiling tiles. I'm just not sure how best to cut the laths off without a substantial chance of also cutting unwanted holes in the ceiling tiles. It's not a huge deal if they get slightly damaged - chances are the whole lot is coming down in due course anyway - but I'd rather not trash them before I have to.

Once that is done I need to cut a hole in the lath-and-plaster wall and run a cable up through the ceiling cavity, while minimising the amount of damage I do to the floor in the attic. The floor is 100-year-old fir board but whoever installed it seems to have had a passion for using the biggest nails they could find. As a rule if any of the boards are lifted, something splinters. I'm pretty much resigned to having to buy enough plywood to replace the entire floor - I feed the most salvagable parts of the fir through my assorted saws to take the damaged edges off so I can use it for something else.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The school system where i worked was closed today due to snow so I am sitting at home doing my notes and making phone calls. I can't remember the last time I was caught up on Wednesday with my notes. I don't think that has ever happened

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Didn't get a whole lot done today after all. I got a bit too engrossed in a fantasy novel I enjoyed in my teenage years and recently rediscovered.

So having read a four-part series in no time flat I got to work doing what I should really have been doing this morning. It was actually easy enough to cut the hole through the ceiling. I had to move it slightly - the dead center of the room was within a fraction of an inch of a joist supporting the attic and I needed space to put a light fitting in there, so I moved it a couple of inches. That was enough to mean the ugly hole I made when I pushed the wire through the ceiling still shows - I'd hoped to have been able to cut the circular hole such that it was cut away but it became obvious that wasn't going to happen. No big deal - it's a temporary measure because the whole of the ceiling is coming down anyway.

Now I've got the back box for the light screwed into place with one of the knockouts knocked out, a strip of fiberglass over the top of it to keep the cold air from the attic from getting in, and a good idea of where to go with it tomorrow. I need to get a power cable into the box, cut a hole in the wall for a light switch, fit the switch and a switch loop, and then I'll finally have a central light in that room. Which will be nice, it's rather tedious trying to work in there by the light of a battery powered work light and a couple of table lamps.

Once that's all done the next step is to get the dust sheets off, have a final clean up, and return the room to a place where it's functional, if not ideal. I'm hoping I can get that done by close of play Friday, maybe tomorrow if things go my way.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Listening to music

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Work day at the on-call job later today. Yay! :)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Got a lot done in the room I'm trying to get ready. It now has a switch-operated light, the dust sheets are gone and most of the dust is gone too. The two rubble bags are out, put with the others. Most of the tools are moved back down to the basement. Hopefully I can get everything else done with the rest of today.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Nice and easy does it. I managed to move the furniture back into place while my wife was out. She was getting worried about how soon she could use the room again so it was nice to be able to show her the room, dust sheets removed, dust cleaned up off the floor, furniture back in place, and with a nice new switch-operated light rather than having to fumble for a table lamp.

I still need to put insulation panels in place but I can do that around the furniture I've put back in. There's a cedar chest that will need to go back in at some point but for now it can sit in the guest bedroom, so I've got space for my board of cementing material. I had hoped to be able to do more in that room but found so many unexpected things - some good, some less so - that I ended up just wanting to get it working in some capacity before I gave up on the whole thing.

For now at least the shop vac will probably stay in there. Not sure how much mess it will make cutting insulation panels. I'll cut them where they are stacked but they inevitably need a little bit of shaving to fit into the actual space, where the wall studs are 80-100 years old and a little less than perfectly straight.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
waiting for my 1 pm appointment to show up.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes