Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
A long time friend that I have not heard from since 7th grade, has recently shared with me her religion as a non denominational church attendee.
She says its very spiritual and that Jesus has many names in many languages just as God has many names in different languages and that regardless of what faith you were brought up we all serve the same God... Spiritually (?)
Muslims believe in Allah but they have a distorted and Gnostic view of Jesus along with muslim law but they all believe in one monotheistic God. Same with Buddhist and even atheist are welcome. My question is this, have you ever heard of this and what do they teach as through sermon? She says its very spiritual but im only curious as to how?
Here is a catholic video that agrees with this view from my understanding.
https://youtu.be/-6FfTxwTX34

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Hi DHoffman

Just to let you know I read your OP but havent seen the vid yet.
I will check it later, if its not too long. I have some views already and I hope to get back to you here, but for now, Im thinking how Gods Word declares and testifies that if a person doesnt have the Son, He doesnt have the Father, either. Christianity ... the Christians God ... is unique and different from every other (claimed) god and religion in the world.
GBU. :wave:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
A long time friend that I have not heard from since 7th grade, has recently shared with me her religion as a non denominational church attendee.
She says its very spiritual and that Jesus has many names in many languages just as God has many names in different languages and that regardless of what faith you were brought up we all serve the same God... Spiritually (?)
Muslims believe in Allah but they have a distorted and Gnostic view of Jesus along with muslim law but they all believe in one monotheistic God. Same with Buddhist and even atheist are welcome. My question is this, have you ever heard of this and what do they teach as through sermon? She says its very spiritual but im only curious as to how?

Unitarian/Universalist, Bahai, post-modern millenia relativism. It's a place where you can believe nothing and everything while saying it's good for yourself and that's all that matters. Narcissism at its finest.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Unitarian/Universalist, Bahai, post-modern millenia relativism. It's a place where you can believe nothing and everything while saying it's good for yourself and that's all that matters. Narcissism at its finest.
Ok but I asked a question, actually two.
Allow me another, does the apostolic pro-priesthood (allowance to advance the church) of Catholic faith agree or disagree with this view? Maybe Catholicism according to the Popes video feels the same on this "universal" and updated criteria of the original apostolic church of Jesus.
(Not implying that I agree whatsoever)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Ok but I asked a question, actually two.
Allow me another, does the apostolic pro-priesthood (allowance to advance the church) of Catholic faith agree or disagree with this view? Maybe Catholicism according to the Popes video feels the same on this "universal" and updated criteria of the original apostolic church of Jesus.
(Not implying that I agree whatsoever)
I can't think of any traditional church that would agree with your friend. The emergent movement leads mostly to liberalism and post-modern thinking. Solomon says it's meaningless.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Hi DHoffman

Just to let you know I read your OP but havent seen the vid yet.
I will check it later, if its not too long. I have some views already and I hope to get back to you here, but for now, Im thinking how Gods Word declares and testifies that if a person doesnt have the Son, He doesnt have the Father, either. Christianity ... the Christians God ... is unique and different from every other (claimed) god and religion in the world.
GBU. :wave:
Agreed. I believe that the Son agrees on thy will of the Father in which together both assume the Holy Spirit as the same (or one) Spirit therefore representing one monotheistic spirit of godliness or simply "God". The universal (catholic) however as of now supports an ideal that ALL worldly understanding of God is the same just as ND churches suggest likewise.
What do you believe is being taught in these one universal God beliefs?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I watched the video...

I entirely, completely fail to see what this has to do with non-denom or denominational parishes and thus the topic of this thread.

I commend Pope Francis for wanted to dialogue and for noting that faith per se is not limited to Catholicism. On the other hand, I see here again where Pope Francis lacks the focus and articulation that his Office requires and this suggests some relativism, etc., which I'm sure he doesn't intend.

- Josiah

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I watched the video...

I entirely, completely fail to see what this has to do with non-denom or denominational parishes and thus the topic of this thread.

I commend Pope Francis for wanted to dialogue and for noting that faith per se is not limited to Catholicism. On the other hand, I see here again where Pope Francis lacks the focus and articulation that his Office requires and this suggests some relativism, etc., which I'm sure he doesn't intend.

- Josiah
He implies we all worship the same God just as non denominational churches do, or at least my friend does.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

This kind of belief seeks to water down the importance of Christ and salvation through him. Jesus didn't claim to be one of many doors to heaven, but the only door. I go to a non denominational church and I can assure you that this is not what is taught or preached at all. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." John 14:6.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
This kind of belief seeks to water down the importance of Christ and salvation through him. Jesus didn't claim to be one of many doors to heaven, but the only door. I go to a non denominational church and I can assure you that this is not what is taught or preached at all. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." John 14:6.
I hope its what they teach. Thanks, im just trying to entertain feedback on this matter for to understand my friends choice is all.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I go to a non denominational church and I can assure you that this is not what is taught or preached at all. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." John 14:6.

I AM very confused what this video has to do with denom or non-denom churches....

There are MANY (including a lot of Catholics, in my experience) who are frustrated with their denomination's new "Pope." My own (rather passionate) view is that he is a good and sincere Christian man, but (and don't hate me for this) he reminds me of my countries new president: He just doesn't word things well! Things come out of his mouth that seem ....um.... misleading and weird... and then others have to do "clean up" to bring it back to what he no doubt MEANT and SHOULD have said, lol.

Since Vatican II, there has been this .... kinda strange.... "openness" to non-Christian religions. The former pope didn't KISS the Augsburg or Westminster Confession but he did the Koran! Hard to wrap one's brain around this..... As I noted above, I applaud all conversations.... and I share with Pope Francis that faith is not unique to Catholicism or even Christianity, and that faith can be a powerful and constructive thing in our lives. Where I get very unconfortable is the possible implication (which I'm sure he didn't MEAN) that there are many paths to God, many Saviors, one faith is as effectual as any other. I think MOST people of the world would see this as saying just that. And I think this video needed a "clean up" crew of Catholic higher ups to state, "Understand, what the Holy Father did NOT mean to imply that....." But the "clean up" is missing, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEchg1KhmTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93QPAl7f9v0

Note how the Catholics acknowledge the problem with their denomination's new pope.... I agree wth their assesment.

- Josiah

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I hope its what they teach. Thanks, im just trying to entertain feedback on this matter for to understand my friends choice is all.

It's a kind of relativism that many people believe today. They can't seem to grasp that Jesus could be the only way. They say that God is love and if he is love then that would be so unfair. They also tend to water down the holiness of God and make him to be more like a gracious Santa in heaven wanting to give good gifts to people and make people happy and comfortable. Your friend sounds like a person who are never truly read the Bible for himself and I would challenge him if I were you to read the Bible himself starting with the gospels

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's a kind of relativism that many people believe today. They can't seem to grasp that Jesus could be the only way. They say that God is love and if he is love then that would be so unfair. They also tend to water down the holiness of God and make him to be more like a gracious Santa in heaven wanting to give good gifts to people and make people happy and comfortable. Your friend sounds like a person who are never truly read the Bible for himself and I would challenge him if I were you to read the Bible himself starting with the gospels
Well :) SHE was my first crush so I was excited to get in contact with her again after many many years (we were actually good childhood friends) We were both confirmed together as Catholic when we were around 15 or so, and we both just exchanged and addressed our current day religious views. She has always been the most sweetest understanding and kindred spirited person I have ever known.
My youthful crush on her has nothing to do with our recent conversations, we have both grown apart very much from whatever we had as friends. I just never heard of this church before personally, yet she says she still loves the Catholic church, thats when I started to compare her recent views with the Catholic view (hence the video), just wondering if they are connected as the video suggest, should I be worried or should I be not surprised that the Pope view of God is the same as her recent view of one universal spirit of God by her non denominational denomination.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well :) SHE was my first crush so I was excited to get in contact with her again after many many years (we were actually good childhood friends) We were both confirmed together as Catholic when we were around 15 or so, and we both just exchanged and addressed our current day religious views. She has always been the most sweetest understanding and kindred spirited person I have ever known.
My youthful crush on her has nothing to do with our recent conversations, we have both grown apart very much from whatever we had as friends. I just never heard of this church before personally, yet she says she still loves the Catholic church, thats when I started to compare her recent views with the Catholic view (hence the video), just wondering if they are connected as the video suggest, should I be worried or should I be not surprised that the Pope view of God is the same as her recent view of one universal spirit of God by her non denominational denomination.

To be honest, i couldn't care less what the Pope says. It makes no difference on my life at all. It just tells me that he has adopted the same warped view of christianity as others.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
To be honest, i couldn't care less what the Pope says. It makes no difference on my life at all. It just tells me that he has adopted the same warped view of christianity as others.
Agreed. Are you tho implying that he may be adapting the church to the "same warped view" as others as suggested?
Im trying not to be biased in this discussion, so forgive me if you perceive me as ambushing your statements.
I dont care for a pope either, never have, so only we Christians can lead the Christian church, separate from the Catholic church, does that make sense?
I can argue that I a oneness observer and you a triune observer still worship thy Lord God in Jesus name, so whats the relevance that others may likewise believe that their God is our God? Or is that only a catholic sided view on which no muslims could agree?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

That is not non denominational. This is not about denominations. It's about religions. Sounds like New Age.
I once had a guy in an orange dress at the mall who tried to convert me to that stuff w Hare Krishna. He said: yes we also believe in Jesus, but we call him Krishna. I was so confused after the talk that I stepped in the wrong bus.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That is not non denominational. This is not about denominations. It's about religions. Sounds like New Age.
I once had a guy in an orange dress at the mall who tried to convert me to that stuff w Hare Krishna. He said: yes we also believe in Jesus, but we call him Krishna. I was so confused after the talk that I stepped in the wrong bus.
Weird.
Yeah it sounded New Age to me, she says its a non denominational church which was misleading.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Agreed. Are you tho implying that he may be adapting the church to the "same warped view" as others as suggested?
Im trying not to be biased in this discussion, so forgive me if you perceive me as ambushing your statements.
I dont care for a pope either, never have, so only we Christians can lead the Christian church, separate from the Catholic church, does that make sense?
I can argue that I a oneness observer and you a triune observer still worship thy Lord God in Jesus name, so whats the relevance that others may likewise believe that their God is our God? Or is that only a catholic sided view on which no muslims could agree?

Since I don't listen to the pope, I only have this video to go by to tell you what his views are. what he is suggesting isn't Christianity, but universalism. In other words, it doesn't matter how you get to heaven since there are so many different views of God. What he is really saying is heresy.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Since I don't listen to the pope, I only have this video to go by to tell you what his views are. what he is suggesting isn't Christianity, but universalism. In other words, it doesn't matter how you get to heaven since there are so many different views of God. What he is really saying is heresy.
I always wondered why Catholic means Universal [emoji19]
All the catholics I know personally dont really pay attention to popes anyway, the churches dont even talk about him.
As someone said earlier (forgot who) he says things that can give people the wrong idea as to how it pertains to the church in general.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I always wondered why Catholic means Universal [emoji19]
All the catholics I know personally dont really pay attention to popes anyway, the churches dont even talk about him.
As someone said earlier (forgot who) he says things that can give people the wrong idea as to how it pertains to the church in general.

Many Catholics if they are honest think that the Catholic church is the only true church. The Protestant churches are treated more like the weird uncle that nobody wants to talk about or admit they are related to.

Top Bottom