Does your doctor give results over the phone?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

I had been waiting for a phone call from my doctor and found out that he never gives results over the phone. I now have to drive an hour to his office for him tomorrow to tell me whether it's good or bad news. What irks me is that the test I had isn't his field so I'd have to see another doctor anyway for further treatment. Call me Grumpy today because I am.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
For me it depends on what the consult or results would be about. I've had conversations over the phone with a doctor about adjusting certain medications, and he's coordinated with the pharmacy. For other things like blood work, it would depend. I've gone in to see my Dr. for some results that we could have talked about over the phone in five minutes, and he could have left referrals for more tests for me to pick up.
Anything over and above that I prefer seeing him in person. It just seems more confidential, and I can ask questions with him there. You might want to ask if he/she is able to provide 'Skype' consults or video appointments. Some physicians are able to do that, but I don't know if that's an option in the U.S. yet with privacy laws.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Not in my experience. You have to make an appointment so they can discuss the results with you and give you their advice.

The Doc I see every once in a blue moon (every 3-4 years or so) or if I have an immediate problem is a nice guy but he's overweight and I wouldn't trust any of his advice. The only immediate problems I've had was a finger injury and a persistent hacking cough in the last 10 years. I got tested for lung cancer and it came back negative. The doctor suggested anti-depressants (I know he's paid to do that) for the tobacco habit I had at that time and gave me an antibiotic (which I didn't bother to fill) for the cough. It turns out an herb I was using to replace/supplement my tobacco at that time was giving me the cough and when I stopped using it my cough went away. Huh.

In general I don't see doctors, don't trust them insofar as diseases go and would only see one for issues relating to non-disease injuries like a broken bone, flesh injury or something of that nature.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This doctor doesn't even have a personal voice mail! Where I grew up it was the norm to receive a phone call whether it was good or bad news. I would much rather receive bad news in the comfort of my home instead of having to drive back home on a crowded expressway in an emotional wreck from a doctor's office.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My doctor has a system called "my chart" where you can make appointments online and see test and lab results once the doctor has reviewed them. The last time I had labs I saw the results on my chart before they called me. All of the doctors I see are a part of the same network, so they can all see my visits and labs. I found that it is best to stay in network where they can all communicate with each other.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Yes, the physical I had included some lab work. I was phoned the results. I could have logged on to my internet "portal" and read the entire report for myself (I forgot to) but in any case, someone phoned me and give me a general report. She asked if I had any questions.... and reminded me I could go to the portal and see the actual lab report and there too ask questions.

Now.... IF something big and bad was there, I would HOPE that news wouldn't be given over the phone! I'd hope the doctor would meet with me and tell me face-to-face, maybe even with a hug, maybe ready to tell me what happens now. No one should be told "you're dying" by a nurse over the phone.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I go to the VA and many times results are given over the phone but so far nothing that serious other than ostesarthritis in my hip that will eventually require a hip replacement

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single

I had been waiting for a phone call from my doctor and found out that he never gives results over the phone. I now have to drive an hour to his office for him tomorrow to tell me whether it's good or bad news. What irks me is that the test I had isn't his field so I'd have to see another doctor anyway for further treatment. Call me Grumpy today because I am.
Hi Grumpy! :) It's too bad you don't have a doctor who is close to you. My doctor tells results over the phone but also wants me to come in.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
This doctor doesn't even have a personal voice mail! Where I grew up it was the norm to receive a phone call whether it was good or bad news. I would much rather receive bad news in the comfort of my home instead of having to drive back home on a crowded expressway in an emotional wreck from a doctor's office.

1. Schedule an appointment on a day where your husband or another relative or friend can drive you to the doctor's office.
2. Find another doctor closer by or who is willing to give results by phone

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My doctor didn't realize how far I had to drive so for my next test he will call me on the phone with the results...especially since I have a follow up with him anyway a few days after the results should come in. But that way we can talk and I can prep more for the appointment after.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I've never had tests for anything serious but for anything relatively routine my doctor has given me results over the phone and also by mail. But then "your cholesterol is normal, your blood sugar is normal" is a very different ballgame to tests for more serious things.

Top Bottom