Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
They should also trample lions.
Psalm 91

You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Mind your steps mind your steps they should have that voice from the airport there.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
They should also trample lions.
Psalm 91

You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

I figured better hit pray, thats treading on dangerous territory.

Who was that ...Helen Reddy that sang 'I am woman, hear me roar?' lol
Yes, we should start a new movement, Snake Handlers and Lion Tamers. (And Scorpion Petters)

Hey, wait...why do they 'HANDLE them?'
They should TRAMPLE them, RIGHT?
Like you just said, lol.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Have a look for yourself, how the so-called Greek Bible is filled with Aramaic idioms!
1. Pick up snakes – Mark 16:18
I chose this as the first example, as it deals with a literal life and death issue.
The KJV says: “They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay
hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”
“They translated many Eastern idioms and metaphors literally, not knowing their true meaning. For instance, ‘You
shall handle snakes.’ They did not know that the word ‘snake’ refers to ‘an enemy.”’ – Dr. George Mamishisho
Lamsa
A better reading for that section of the verse would be “they will handle their enemies”. This mistranslation has
even cost the lives of many people. George Went Hensley, a former pastor of the Church of God, formed one such
Pentecostal group, who drank poison and exposed themselves to poisonous snakes. He died of snakebite, as have
many others.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Have a look for yourself, how the so-called Greek Bible is filled with Aramaic idioms!
1. Pick up snakes – Mark 16:18
I chose this as the first example, as it deals with a literal life and death issue.
The KJV says: “They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay
hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”
“They translated many Eastern idioms and metaphors literally, not knowing their true meaning. For instance, ‘You
shall handle snakes.’ They did not know that the word ‘snake’ refers to ‘an enemy.”’ – Dr. George Mamishisho
Lamsa
A better reading for that section of the verse would be “they will handle their enemies”. This mistranslation has
even cost the lives of many people. George Went Hensley, a former pastor of the Church of God, formed one such
Pentecostal group, who drank poison and exposed themselves to poisonous snakes. He died of snakebite, as have
many others.
But a snake literally bit into Pauls arm and he shook it off, I think thats why they tested the Lord to try and show off their faith which is also boasting in effort.
The snakes are both literal and symbolic of actual snakes and human enemies... Gods word is perfect in hitting two birds with one stone both literal and metaphorical

Our God is an awesome God [emoji16]
Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
But a snake literally bit into Pauls arm and he shook it off, I think thats why they tested the Lord to try and show off their faith which is also boasting in effort.
The snakes are both literal and symbolic of actual snakes and human enemies... Gods word is perfect in hitting two birds with one stone both literal and metaphorical

Our God is an awesome God [emoji16]

Poor birds! What a horrible saying. We say 2 flies in one hit.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
lol now THAT was symbolic but not literal... but it could be

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is a great deal of truth to the proposition that nearly everybody is more born into their religion than conscientiously choosing it. Snake handling is generational for the most part. A kind of culture handed down in a community.

Thank God it isn't a part of my community. I did kill a snake in the backyard of the church one time years ago. I guess I handled it then. I threw it into a empty lot next to the church for the birds to eat after I killed it

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I truly believe thT given the right circumstances this verse is true but I also think they forgot that thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God

I agree, even assuming the verse is a valid part of Scripture (which is itself debated, as mentioned above) I've always taken it to mean that a poisonous snake unexpectedly encountered wouldn't harm us, rather than giving us a license to handle poisonous snakes as little more than an act of showmanship to prove a point.

Even if trying to prove a point it doesn't work because those who believe don't need showmanship to continue to believe, and those who don't believe have no way of knowing for sure that the snakes are actually poisonous. Even if it can be confirmed that the snake is a very poisonous snake, and that it hasn't had its fangs removed, there's still no way of knowing whether it has any venom in its venom sacs, or whether it has had all its venom harvested and is then being handled while it is more or less safe.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree, even assuming the verse is a valid part of Scripture (which is itself debated, as mentioned above) I've always taken it to mean that a poisonous snake unexpectedly encountered wouldn't harm us, rather than giving us a license to handle poisonous snakes as little more than an act of showmanship to prove a point.

Thanks to both of you!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't like snakes. I don't like spiders or mice or rats either. I know they are God's creation and maybe God likes 'em but I don't. I love to hike and camp but I'm always uber-sensitive to the "bad things" issue.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Poor flies! What a horrible saying. :p

:smirk:

(I'd normally refer to killing two birds with one stone, rather than hitting two birds)

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Poor flies! What a horrible saying. [emoji14]

:smirk:

(I'd normally refer to killing two birds with one stone, rather than hitting two birds)
Oh your right lol it's "killing" not "hitting"

Top Bottom