Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Snake- Handling is a phenomenon that gained currency in parts of Appalachia, particularly as an expression of Christian devotion. This link will speak of the faith movement that has spawned today's churches that still use poisonous snakes in their services.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0407_030407_snakehandlers.html

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/arts-culture/snake-handlers

Isn't it amazing what a contested verse in The Gospel according to Saint Mark can yield in terms of practises and beliefs?

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Isn't it amazing what a contested verse in The Gospel according to Saint Mark can yield in terms of practises and beliefs?

It really is. I mean, there are other denominations out there that seem to focus on certain verses while ignoring others, but these people are calling God out on what is recorded in the Gospel of St. Mark. I mean, literally risking their lives for their expression of faith. It's amazing. I think they're putting God to the test, which we are not to do as Christians, but they're pretty set on their beliefs.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It really is. I mean, there are other denominations out there that seem to focus on certain verses while ignoring others, but these people are calling God out on what is recorded in the Gospel of St. Mark. I mean, literally risking their lives for their expression of faith. It's amazing. I think they're putting God to the test, which we are not to do as Christians, but they're pretty set on their beliefs.

There is a great deal of truth to the proposition that nearly everybody is more born into their religion than conscientiously choosing it. Snake handling is generational for the most part. A kind of culture handed down in a community.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
They'd better handle the real snake behind it.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I truly believe thT given the right circumstances this verse is true but I also think they forgot that thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I truly believe thT given the right circumstances this verse is true but I also think they forgot that thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God

That's a very good point. I wonder how they reconcile their theology with that particular verse ( which crops up time and again in both Testaments).

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
That's a very good point. I wonder how they reconcile their theology with that particular verse ( which crops up time and again in both Testaments).
Great question, and it points us to a great passage, a wonderful gem in Luke10 that shows the awesome power and divine authority of Jesus as God, and also His love and care for us, and grants us such comfort and assurance of salvation.

Verse17~
And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through Thy name.

{Now check out Jesus' response, which only God Himself could truthfully make, imo}
18~ And He said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightening fall from heaven. {Wow!}

19~ Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. {Wow again!}

20~ Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

{And wow and wow and Amen thank you Lord Jesus Amen!}

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Moses was instrumental in the parting of the red sea and Joshua was instrumental in the drying up of the Jordan river and the collapse of the walls of Jericho but these things are not the norm for Christians nor were they for Israelites. God's special times call forth special responses and special events. Pentecost was one of God's special times and so was the spread of the gospel in the life times of the apostles that Christ chose. The things written in The Acts of the Apostles are not the norm for Christians. The day of Pentecost is not an annual occurrence with the Spirit coming like a rushing mighty wind and tongues of fire, people baptised with John's baptism are not found today, Samaritans are not the first non-Jewish converts to Christ each year, and there is no annual first gentile convert to Christ. The pivotal events recorded in The Acts of the Apostles are not repeatable and not norms for current Christian experience.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Moses was instrumental in the parting of the red sea and Joshua was instrumental in the drying up of the Jordan river and the collapse of the walls of Jericho but these things are not the norm for Christians nor were they for Israelites. God's special times call forth special responses and special events. Pentecost was one of God's special times and so was the spread of the gospel in the life times of the apostles that Christ chose. The things written in The Acts of the Apostles are not the norm for Christians. The day of Pentecost is not an annual occurrence with the Spirit coming like a rushing mighty wind and tongues of fire, people baptised with John's baptism are not found today, Samaritans are not the first non-Jewish converts to Christ each year, and there is no annual first gentile convert to Christ. The pivotal events recorded in The Acts of the Apostles are not repeatable and not norms for current Christian experience.

That is very true. Of course, God still is with us and He shows His Providence in many ways, including the occasional miracle, but the period covered by St. Luke in the Book of Acts was a history written to record God's activities among His people during the Church's infancy. Our experience is somewhat different.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That is very true. Of course, God still is with us and He shows His Providence in many ways, including the occasional miracle, but the period covered by St. Luke in the Book of Acts was a history written to record God's activities among His people during the Church's infancy. Our experience is somewhat different.

God is present in his church and he speak to his people but not by self-claimed prophets nor by visions reported by self-claimed visionaries God speaks in the reading of holy scripture and in sound teaching and in acts of love for one's Christian brothers/sisters and for the needy no matter who they are. Some people see visions and some hear voices and some have a message for others to hear, none of that comes from being a self-claimed prophet it all comes from God deciding to send a vision or a message to people who (after proper examination) have a credible story to tell and who do not seek privilege, payment, or personal fame.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Yes, He's an awesome God! And He's still saving ppl and building His Church, His Body, the same way, too, one heart at a time, by grace alone through faith alone in the finished work of Christ alone, with faith coming by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes, He's an awesome God! And He's still saving ppl and building His Church, His Body, the same way, too, one heart at a time, by grace alone through faith alone in the finished work of Christ alone, with faith coming by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

Not one heart at a time usually it is whole families who come to Christ. In the west where individualism rules as a kind of demigod people may come one at a time separated from their families but in much of the rest of the world it is not that way.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life.../gJQA3fRP5U_story.html?utm_term=.dfcc933cc331

Not every minister who has handled snakes has walked away from being bitten. The thing is that their faith is so strong that they would defy the danger that they understand is present, but through their faith believe that such dangers do not apply to them. They may have a strong faith, but is it their faith or Jesus Christ that they should focus on? " I believe, I believe" is all very well ( even demons believe and rightfully fear), but they really should be focusing more on their names being written in Heaven rather than malignant spirits being subject to them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lford-dies--hours-hes-bitten-RATTLESNAKE.html

It is an integral part of their worship, but a potentially lethal part. It has also become a tradition that will apparently be very fiercely guarded by those groups who choose to observe it.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/...-coots-death-from-bite-son-takes-over-115068/

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Not one heart at a time usually it is whole families who come to Christ. In the west where individualism rules as a kind of demigod people may come one at a time separated from their families but in much of the rest of the world it is not that way.
Yes one heart at a time. Not sure what the 'western individualism ruling as a kind of demigod' comment is supposed to imply, nor what your politics in the 'east' or 'south' are, nor what your views of politics has to do with salvation, but Jesus saves individuals.

Not sure what this imaginary line is you've concocted between some 'western part of the world thats separated from their families', as opposed to 'much of the rest of the world' that is what.... all united with theirs??

Certainly Jesus can save diff members of a family, or some other grouping, at the same event.....He can save 3000 at the same occasion if He wants, but they're still 3000 unique individuals He saved, whether family, friends, or even strangers.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Never mind snerfle. It had nothing to do with politics. Carry on :)

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Im going to start a church where we literally baptise people in fire

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Im going to start a church where we literally baptise people in fire

See you in jail? LOL

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
See you in jail? LOL
Hey its not my fault if they get burned, that just means they dont have enough faith, plus we got the water baptism right after... [emoji41]

Top Bottom