• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 12

    World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: Mt. Vesuvius and the book of Revelation

    1. #1
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Prodigy Member
      33
      Single
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      989
      CH Cash
      4,915
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      3,467
      Level
      18
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      90.07%
      Rep Power
      104

      Mt. Vesuvius and the book of Revelation

      I have a few books on Pompeii, I find the artwork, lifestyle and the eruption​ of Mt. Vesuvius intriguing. This is said to have happened on August 24th 79 AD.

      Now the book of Revelation is proposed to be written around 69 AD to 96 AD according to Wikipedia

      "Early Church tradition dates the book to end of the emperor Domitian (reigned AD 8196), and most modern scholars agree, although the author may have written a first version under Vespasian (AD 6979) and updated it under Domitian."

      They are so closely dated I often wonder if they were in the same decade and if the destruction of the pagan elite Roman city was warned about if the letters did go out before the event.

      It's a days journey from Patmos to Pompeii Italy (by our transportation).
      Thoughts?
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 11-06-2017 at 08:46 PM.

    2. #2
      jsimms435 is offline Child of God
      Moderator
      50
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      1,369
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,813
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      7,856
      Level
      26
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      91.4%
      Rep Power
      228
      So your saying that you see the eruption as a sign of God's judgment on them? Or do you see somehow Revelations as specifically mentioning this event? I don't see it. Admittedly though I know almost nothing about the people who suffered under that eruption except that it happened very suddenly.

    3. #3
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Prodigy Member
      33
      Single
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      989
      CH Cash
      4,915
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      3,467
      Level
      18
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      90.07%
      Rep Power
      104
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      So your saying that you see the eruption as a sign of God's judgment on them? Or do you see somehow Revelations as specifically mentioning this event? I don't see it. Admittedly though I know almost nothing about the people who suffered under that eruption except that it happened very suddenly.
      Maybe, it was by the sea and people even hid in the shipping docks, the mountain erupted and threw down fire like in Sodom and Gomorrah as it was very very devastating. This was a sinful pagan elite Roman city full of pornography and drunkenness.

      And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.
      Revelation 8:8-9

      Last edited by DHoffmann; 11-06-2017 at 09:13 PM.

    4. #4
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Prodigy Member
      33
      Single
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      989
      CH Cash
      4,915
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      3,467
      Level
      18
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      90.07%
      Rep Power
      104
      Herculaneum and Pompeii were both completely destroyed, Herculaneum I believe was closer to the sea

    5. #5
      Snerfle is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Geeky
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      In a house
      Posts
      1,559
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      123,412
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,265
      Level
      28
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.39%
      Rep Power
      183
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Herculaneum and Pompeii were both completely destroyed, Herculaneum I believe was closer to the sea
      Hi DHoffman .
      Interesting and devastating stuff, for sure. I never really studied it much, tho it's a pretty safe bet that it isnt the fulfillment of the prophecy in Revelation 8. There are alot of events that have taken place in history that might seem to correlate with bible prophecy, but it's usually best not to try to force a given event into God's prophetic Word, or to take a verse or two to try to apply it to a specific event in history, particularly the Book of the Revelation. →*The EVENT being historical, not Revelation, which is pretty much mostly still future*← (sorry for the sloppy structure)

      In a general sense, yes, God's warnings of judgement can be seen, and perhaps different catastrophic events, 'natural disasters' etc., are part of that, but that's only speculation, and we wouldn't want to tell ppl who are going thru it, (say, the recent hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, etc.) that theyre being judged and punished by God.

      In fact, these are times when we're called to not only try to help minister to their physical needs (in whatever way that God might lead an individual or group) but also to proclaim the Good News of our Lord Jesus Christ, that whoever puts their faith and trust in Him, has their sins paid for by Him, and are saved from God's wrath to come.

      Btw, nice to meet you, DHoffman.
      Last edited by Snerfle; 11-06-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: See ↑ *asterisk
      os as

      ~Ignoring others...especially other
      believers, is anti-christian.~ 1John

    6. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
    7. #6
      jsimms435 is offline Child of God
      Moderator
      50
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      1,369
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,813
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      7,856
      Level
      26
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      91.4%
      Rep Power
      228
      It could have been God's judgment on them, but not particularly mentioned in Revelations. I don't see this as a fulfillment of what is in Revelations 8. It would assume if it was that the trumpets of judgment were already occurring in 79 A.D. That would mean that the first trumpet had already happened mentioned below. Since a third of the earth has not been burned up I think we are safe to say it hasn't happened yet

      6 "Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.
      7 The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up."

    8. Likes Snerfle liked this post
    9. #7
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Prodigy Member
      33
      Single
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      989
      CH Cash
      4,915
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      3,467
      Level
      18
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      90.07%
      Rep Power
      104
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      It could have been God's judgment on them, but not particularly mentioned in Revelations. I don't see this as a fulfillment of what is in Revelations 8. It would assume if it was that the trumpets of judgment were already occurring in 79 A.D. That would mean that the first trumpet had already happened mentioned below. Since a third of the earth has not been burned up I think we are safe to say it hasn't happened yet

      6 "Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.
      7 The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up."
      I believe 7 was about pompeii which was a bit further away and got hit with hail and fire as 8 speaks of herculaneum because it borders the sea and closer to the volcano

      herculaneum 8

    10. #8
      Snerfle is offline Veteran Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Geeky
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      In a house
      Posts
      1,559
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      123,412
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      9,265
      Level
      28
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.39%
      Rep Power
      183
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      I believe 7 was about pompeii which was a bit further away and got hit with hail and fire as 8 speaks of herculaneum because it borders the sea and closer to the volcano
      My points in post#5 agree with #6
      Theres no way the 7th seal is opened until after the previous 6 seals.
      The majority of the Book of Revelation is describing future events, not natural disasters like what happened 2000 years ago in Pompeii.
      os as

      ~Ignoring others...especially other
      believers, is anti-christian.~ 1John

    11. Likes psalms 91 liked this post
    12. #9
      DHoffmann's Avatar
      DHoffmann is offline Prodigy Member
      33
      Single
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      989
      CH Cash
      4,915
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      3,467
      Level
      18
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      90.07%
      Rep Power
      104
      Well the last days began in acts. Revelation does describe many natural disasters in diverse places. Revelation may have been written just prior to the eruption and destruction of this ungodly roman elite plutocracy, and therefore it is possible to have been one of the signs.
      Many scholars agree that the many signs are not in any particular order, true or not I still speculate that its very peculiar for these events to take place possible in the same decade the book was written
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 11-11-2017 at 02:53 PM.

    13. #10
      MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Sabbaticle
       
      Mood:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Perth
      Posts
      14,138
      Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      10,778
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      37,574
      Level
      51
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      20.67%
      Rep Power
      568
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Well the last days began in acts. Revelation does describe many natural disasters in diverse places. Revelation may have been written just prior to the eruption and destruction of this ungodly roman elite plutocracy, and therefore it is possible to have been one of the signs.
      Many scholars agree that the many signs are not in any particular order, true or not I still speculate that its very peculiar for these events to take place possible in the same decade the book was written
      we're still here and the last judgement and resurrection hasn't happened yet.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •