• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: Post 911 interest in God?

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.48%

Post 911 interest in God?

I was a sophomore in highschool when my teacher switched on the TV and we saw the second plane hit.
      I remember not being as in shock as the others were, probably had to do with my doctors putting me on paxil a few weeks prior. Then everyone got really patriotic, everyone stood up for the national anthem in those days, even had little flags pinned over their heart.
      The internet was evolving and gaining momentum at a rapid pace and mass speculation of the events surrounding 911 and the war began to surface. Laden called it "an act of God" and Americans smelt fish in their own government. Something dark had approached us like a thief, we never found the weapons but we had retaliated with peer pressure pride without ever having any sure evidence, it was a clever draft. Color coded alerts constantly fed us shock waves to disrupt our nervous system.
      Obviously with such a traumatizing effect, we caught on after the fact that we had been touched and fooled by that old serpent the devil, and now, if its not just me, we are being called back to the unity of the Body of Christ and general re interest in God on a global level. Post 911 spiritual revival of the Church yay or nay?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 11-04-2017 at 02:06 PM.

MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      I was a sophomore in highschool when my teacher switched on the TV and we saw the second plane hit.
      I remember not being as in shock as the others were, probably had to do with my doctors putting me on paxil a few weeks prior. Then everyone got really patriotic, everyone stood up for the national anthem in those days, even had little flags pinned over their heart.
      The internet was evolving and gaining momentum at a rapid pace and mass speculation of the events surrounding 911 and the war began to surface. Laden called it "an act of God" and Americans smelt fish in their own government. Something dark had approached us like a thief, we never found the weapons but we had retaliated with peer pressure pride without ever having any sure evidence, it was a clever draft. Color coded alerts constantly fed us shock waves to disrupt our nervous system.
      Obviously with such a traumatizing effect, we caught on after the fact that we had been touched and fooled by that old serpent the devil, and now, if its not just me, we are being called back to the unity of the Body of Christ and general re interest in God on a global level. Post 911 spiritual revival of the Church yay or nay?

Flags pinned over the heart is a sign of national solidarity and maybe national pride but not of prayer and love for God.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      73.07%
      God ordains who will hear and who will be deaf. God may ordain you and me to be the vessels who preach reconciliation to rebels, but God will determine who his children will be.
      As I stated in another thread, China is seeing Christianity grow at faster rates than we see in the book of Acts. It is a remarkable thing that God is choosing to do. Meanwhile in the US God is leaving humans to their own rebellion.

4. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.48%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Flags pinned over the heart is a sign of national solidarity and maybe national pride but not of prayer and love for God.
      Yes I was describing patriotism not love for God, I am suggesting interested of God that followed the aftermath later on

MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Yes I was describing patriotism not love for God, I am suggesting interested of God that followed the aftermath later on

It's hard to tell what motivates people to seek God but when they are motivated to seek God it is a good thing if they find him and cleave to him.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

7. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.48%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      God ordains who will hear and who will be deaf. God may ordain you and me to be the vessels who preach reconciliation to rebels, but God will determine who his children will be.
      As I stated in another thread, China is seeing Christianity grow at faster rates than we see in the book of Acts. It is a remarkable thing that God is choosing to do. Meanwhile in the US God is leaving humans to their own rebellion.
      Not sure what thread that is, but I have watched a lot of missionary videos from China that simply blow my mind, they seem very swift to conversion, much fish there

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (104,387 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      88.18%

A former pastor told me that there was greater church attendance during the months that followed. There were some new member sign ups too so there were signs that people were drawn to God after the incident.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

10. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      77.94%

9/11 was for my generation what the Assinations of Kennedy and King were to the one before us, and the bombing of Pearl Harbor to the one before that..... Images that are powerfully and eternally itched in our being.

I remember all the patriotism, all the unity, all the support for Bush and the military and the "First Responders." It was radical and sudden and very dramatic.

And temporary.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

12. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.73%

Revival yay but post 911? Dunno. One guy fell from his faith and is an atheist now who tries pull ppl from their faith, because his church said it was punishment from God.

Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.48%
      Quote Originally Posted by Imalive View Post
      Revival yay but post 911? Dunno. One guy fell from his faith and is an atheist now who tries pull ppl from their faith, because his church said it was punishment from God.
      So he pulls people away because his church said the attacks were just?