Should Australia become a Republic?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes then mc can finally become a republican.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Republic is no fun.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
It's ENTIRELY up to Australia and the United Kingdom.

I'm a citizen of neither country. It's none of my business.

Okay, so you're more focused on events that affect the United States. Very understandable. I just asked the question because somebody of Australian nationality suggested that they get rid of the monarchy and establish a republic. I just wanted to see how that would pan out.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Okay, so you're more focused on events that affect the United States. Very understandable.

Well, I don't mean a FRIENDLY, RESPECTFUL discussion with Aussies can't take place.....

In my trips (mostly for business, sometimes for friendships) to Europe, I've grown very weary of the 'Anti-USA" game. It's usually done with a smile and clearly grows in boldness with the amount of alcohol involved, done AS IF IT'S FUNNY, usually ganging up on whatever Americans happen to be handy... It's a game for some Europeans (and I guess some Aussies, although I hadn't known that). Usually focused on our government but sometimes any aspect of American culture or life is fair game for this supposed funny game. I think some Europeans (especially under the influence of adult beverages) love to have a common enemy in order to make them feel closer to together ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach...) but it often comes across as RUDE, disrespectful and usually ignorant. I do as all Americans do - try to smile and NOT to do them as they've done to us. But frankly, I can't wonder - as they make all their rude, ignorant comment - always thinking they are being FUNNY - how they are holding a phone designed and made in the USA, using a computer invented, designed in the USA, having just arrived on a plane designed and made in the USA, taking some meds developed and made in the USA, and in a country liberated in large part by the USA and rebuilt after the war largely by the USA. watching television invented in the USA. But I don't say anything.

I don't KNOW about Australia, but I know lots of Brits and have been the UK. They seem like good bloats. As educated and aware as any.... with a pretty sound democracy and as good of freedom of press as anywhere (that ain't saying much).... They are capable of determining their own destiny and governing their own selves. They don't need some FOREIGNER telling them how they should govern themselves or who they should elect. My respect for them forbids me from doing that. While I don't know many Aussies and have never been there (my loss, I'm sure) I strongly suspect the same is true for them. It's probably not true for North Koreans but I don't regard the UK or Australia to be the same boat as North Korea.

It seems to ME that American patriotism tends to be PRO-USA (not always, I realize) whereas in Europe, there seems to be a negativity toward others. For example, the German National Anthem begins, "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt...." Not always, of course. I'm learning this may extend beyond Europe, as well.

Understand my perspective???? Again, I know YOU meant only a very informal, friendly discussion....

- Josiah

Last edited:

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Well, I don't mean a FRIENDLY, RESPECTFUL discussion with Aussies can't take place.....

In my trips (mostly for business, sometimes for friendships) to Europe, I've grown very weary of the 'Anti-USA" game. It's usually done with a smile and clearly grows in boldness with the amount of alcohol involved, done AS IF IT'S FUNNY, usually ganging up on whatever Americans happen to be handy... It's a game for some Europeans (and I guess some Aussies, although I hadn't known that). Usually focused on our government but sometimes any aspect of American culture or life is fair game for this supposed funny game. I think some Europeans (especially under the influence of adult beverages) love to have a common enemy in order to make them feel closer to together ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach...) but it often comes across as RUDE, disrespectful and usually ignorant. I do as all Americans do - try to smile and NOT to do them as they've done to us. But frankly, I can't wonder - as they make all their rude, ignorant comment - always thinking they are being FUNNY - how they are holding a phone designed and made in the USA, using a computer invented, designed in the USA, having just arrived on a plane designed and made in the USA, taking some meds developed and made in the USA, and in a country liberated in large part by the USA and rebuilt after the war largely by the USA. watching television invented in the USA. But I don't say anything.

I don't KNOW about Australia, but I know lots of Brits and have been the UK. They seem like good bloats. As educated and aware as any.... with a pretty sound democracy and as good of freedom of press as anywhere (that ain't saying much).... They are capable of determining their own destiny and governing their own selves. They don't need some FOREIGNER telling them how they should govern themselves or who they should elect. My respect for them forbids me from doing that. While I don't know many Aussies and have never been there (my loss, I'm sure) I strongly suspect the same is true for them. It's probably not true for North Koreans but I don't regard the UK or Australia to be the same as North Korea.

Understand my perspective???? Again, I know YOU meant only a very informal, friendly discussion....

- Josiah

Yeah, Josiah, I got it. :cool: I hear what you say about the anti- Americanism, too. I see enough of that online to not want to deal with it in real life. Unlike you, I've never been overseas, but I do appreciate the perspective of those like yourself who have traveled.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I'm just going to bump this for any Australians who'd like to share their insights..

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Thoughts?

Yes. England can have a queen or king if they like. Australia does not need one. We ought to change our constitution to give us an appointed President or Governor and if we can't agree on appointment as the method of selection then we ought to elect one. They ought to have no executive powers. Their role ought to be ceremonial.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Ah, yes, there should be a distinction made between a member of the United States Republican Party and an Australian Republican. Let's see if I can find some links! Here we go.. http://www.republic.org.au/, https://www.gop.com/. This is definitely worthy of further study.

If I were a USA citizen I would not join the GOP. Not my cup of tea. Besides they are in a kind of crisis now aren't they with Donald and that other guy doing their best to remove existing GOP congressmen and senators and replace them with crazies from the TEA party or something.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Our current PM has a plan

:smirk:

Caution, Australian media laws are not as prudish as USA ones so an occasional naughty word may be heard.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Our current PM has a plan

:smirk:

Caution, Australian media laws are not as prudish as USA ones so an occasional naughty word may be heard.

That's right, you lot don't have that Puritan background. :) Do you suppose waiting for the current queen's death would work, though? If Australia breaks away, what of New Zealand? Or Canada? Or any of the other country in the Commonwealth of Nations?

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That's right, you lot don't have that Puritan background. :) Do you suppose waiting for the current queen's death would work, though? If Australia breaks away, what of New Zealand? Or Canada? Or any of the other country in the Commonwealth of Nations?

I think many Australians believe that Prince Charles is crazy and Camilla has never been loved by the Australian public so waiting may mean instant republic because nobody in Australia will want King Charles and Queen Camilla.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I think many Australians believe that Prince Charles is crazy and Camilla has never been loved by the Australian public so waiting may mean instant republic because nobody in Australia will want King Charles and Queen Camilla.

That seems to simplify things considerably.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That seems to simplify things considerably.

Things can change. By the time Elizabeth dies Charles may have redeemed himself in the public's opinion. I'd prefer to end it while the queen is still there so that nobody can claim it happened because everybody hates Charles.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Things can change. By the time Elizabeth dies Charles may have redeemed himself in the public's opinion. I'd prefer to end it while the queen is still there so that nobody can claim it happened because everybody hates Charles.

Before Princess Diana's death, I might have sympathized with the Royals some. Now, I hope your country gets exactly what it wants and needs in regard to its autonomy. Australia should be governed by Australians.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Before Princess Diana's death, I might have sympathized with the Royals some. Now, I hope your country gets exactly what it wants and needs in regard to its autonomy. Australia should be governed by Australians.

It is. But the head of state is English despite being "queen of Australia".

Top Bottom