What if the Pope tweeted like Donald Trump does?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
He's probably Presbyterian USA, which means he denies the deity of Christ and just enjoys the social country club and message about humanism.

Well, that is possible I suppose. I do not know a lot about Donald's religion or even if he really has one. But he said he's Presbyterian, was baptised as one.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Like they're the only ones doing that. Try attack Luther or Calvin or some evangelical hero.
To the best of my knowledge, Imalive, neither Luther nor Calvin are alive today and issuing statements on church and society like the current pope does.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Albion, that'd be because Francis is alive today (as far as I know, no news headlines about the sudden death of the pope today).

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think that's what I said. ;)

JPPT1974

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Know he is very popular but really he has thousands of things to do in so little time! But it would be nice!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Know he is very popular but really he has thousands of things to do in so little time! But it would be nice!

Do you mean that the pope has thousands of things to do in "so little time"?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What if the Pope tweeted like Donald Trump does? What do you think would come of it?

Actually, the pope DOES tweet like President Trump. Perhaps that is why this thread hasn't done much.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I suspect that the Pope's approval rating would be somewhere close to Trump's which is currently around 37% approval rating. A historic low for all Presidents.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that the Pope's approval rating would be somewhere close to Trump's which is currently around 37% approval rating. A historic low for all Presidents.
Im surprised its that high

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What I was thinking was similar but not exactly what you wrote here. Both men make abrupt statements that are not necessarily wrong but may not be 100% accurate. And that's the way most of us who don't read from a teleprompter for every comment we make in life do tend to speak.

When we say "everybody knows...." we are potentially vulnerable to having CNN claim that we lied because there is someone, somewhere, who doesn't know (whatever it is). But because we are merely ordinary people, anyone hearing us say "everybody knows" understands full well what we mean and accepts it.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pedrito hasn’t heard Donald Trump tweet.

But he knows that some people consider Donald Trump to be a queer bird.

Maybe if the Pope tweeted like Donald Trump, it would be with an Argentinian Spanish accent.

That is, if birds from different countries tweet in different ways.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I couldn't copy and paste the tweets on the Vatican web site. They are displayed like a ticker-tape message the runs by on the page but I did find a daily meditation that may be interesting as a contrast to Donald's tweets.

If we simply leave the door of our heart “a bit” ajar, “God manages to enter”, saving us from joining the ranks of the “unmerciful”. This is the antidote for those who lack mercy and who practice the Beatitudes “in reverse”. During Mass at Santa Marta on Monday, 12 June, Pope Francis shared this idea and warned against the temptation of “self-referential narcissism”, the very opposite of that Christian “otherness” which is both “a gift and a service”.

Referring to the day’s first reading from the Second Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians (1:1-7), the Holy Father immediately noted that within just 19 lines of text, “Saint Paul speaks eight times of comfort, of allowing ourselves to be comforted so that we may comfort others”. The word ‘comfort’, thus, “occurs eight times within 19 lines: it’s too strong; he is trying to tell us something”. Therefore, Pope Francis took this as “an opportunity, an occasion to reflect on comfort”, to ask: “what is the comfort which Paul speaks about?”. The Pontiff noted that “first of all, we must see that comforting is not autonomous; it is not something closed in on itself”.

In fact, he said, “the experience of comforting, which is a spiritual experience, always needs ‘otherness’ in order to be complete; no one can comfort himself, no one”. And “whoever tries to do so, ends up looking in the mirror: he looks in the mirror, seeking to mask himself, to appear” a certain way. “He is comforted by these closed things that prevent him from growing, and the air which he breathes is the air of self-referential narcissism”. However, this is a “mask” of “comfort which does not allow growth; it is not comfort because it is closed; it lacks ‘otherness’”, that sharing with an ‘other’.

“In the Gospel we find many people like this”, Pope Francis explained. “For example, the doctors of the law are full of their own sufficiency”. They are “closed, and this is ‘their comfort’ in quotation marks”. The Pope made explicit reference to the rich man “who lived from one party to the next”, and thus, felt “he was comforted”. However, this type of attitude is best expressed by the words of the prayer of the Pharisee and the publican before the altar: “God, I thank thee that I am not like other men”. In other words, he “was looking at himself in the mirror, looking at his soul ‘masked’ with ideologies, and he was thanking the Lord”. Jesus himself “shows us the possibility” of the existence of “these people who will never attain fullness with this lifestyle but at best will arrive at being ‘puffed-up’, in other words, vanity”.

For “comfort” to be true, to be Christian, it needs “otherness”, an ‘other’. This, Pope Francis explained, is because “true comfort is received”. For this reason “Paul began with that blessing: ‘Blessed be the God and Father of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort”. And “it is precisely the Lord; it is God who comforts us; it is God who gives us this gift: to us with our heart open, he comes and gives it to us”. This is “the ‘otherness’ which allows true comfort to grow; and the true comfort of the soul also matures into another ‘otherness’, so that we may comfort others”. Therefore, that “comfort is a state of passage from the gift received to the service rendered”, and thus, “true comforting has this twofold ‘otherness’: it is both a gift and a service”.

Thus, the Holy Father reiterated, “if I allow the Lord’s comfort to enter as a gift, it is because I need to be comforted: I am needy”. In fact, in order “to be comforted it is necessary to recognize being needy: only thus will the Lord come, comforting us and giving us the mission to comfort others”. Certainly, Pope Francis recognized, “it is not easy to have a heart that is open to receive the gift and to serve others, the twofold ‘otherness’ that makes comforting possible”.

“It is Jesus himself who explains what I have to do in order to keep my heart open”, the Pope explained. “An open heart is a happy heart and in the Gospel we have heard who are the happy ones, who are the blessed: the poor”. Thus, “the heart opens with an attitude of poverty, poverty of the spirit: those who know how to weep, the meek, meekness of heart; those who hunger for justice, who fight for justice; those who are merciful, who have mercy towards others; the pure of heart; the peacemakers and those who are persecuted for justice, for love of justice”. And “in this way the heart opens and the Lord comes with his gift of comfort and the mission to comfort others”.

However, there are also those who “have a closed heart: they are unhappy because the gift of comfort cannot enter and cannot be given to others”. They do not follow the Beatitudes and “they feel rich in spirit, or rather, self-sufficient”. These are the people “who have no need to weep because they feel they are just; those violent ones who do not know what meekness is: those who are unjust, who live off injustice and create injustice; the ‘unmerciful’ or rather those without mercy — who never forgive and who never have the need to forgive because they do not feel the need to be forgiven; those unclean of heart; those workers of war, not of peace; and those who are never criticized or persecuted for fighting for justice, because they do not care about the injustices done to other people: these people are closed”.

Therefore, considering these ‘beatitudes in reverse’, the Holy Father suggested that it would be “good for us to think today” about “how my heart is: is it open? Do I know how to receive the gift of comfort, do I ask it of the Lord, and then do I know how to give it to others as a gift of the Lord and as my service?”. And “thus, with these thoughts throughout the day, go back and thank the Lord who is so good and is always trying to comfort us”. Let us remember that God “only asks that the door of our hearts be open, at least a bit, so that he can then manage to find a way to enter”.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Oh, I found a page with Frances' tweets. Here is the most recent one.

KNG-IkT9_400x400.jpeg

May Mary's pure and simple smile be a source of joy for each one of us as we face life’s difficulties.

It isn't exactly like Donald's most recent tweet.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What if the Pope tweeted like Donald Trump does? What do you think would come of it?
I only follow the pope on twitter, I actually admire everyone of his tweets, assuming he actually tweets them but not sure on that, what service does he have? [emoji57]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I only follow the pope on twitter, I actually admire everyone of his tweets, assuming he actually tweets them but not sure on that, what service does he have? [emoji57]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

My guess is that he "says" what is tweeted but the tweet is "typed" by somebody else. Probably somebody who is better at mobile devices :)

Top Bottom