Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Tigger, does your church wear red through most of the summer, then? Somehow I don't think that's correct, although the color for Pentecost is red, as you said, and these would be the Sundays after Pentecost (called "Ordinary time" in the RCC).

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here's a link explaining the LCMS liturgical colors (scroll down to read about each color). Pentecost Sunday is red but the Sundays following are green.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Methodist is the same

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Catholics regard the liturgical colours as signifying mysteries of the faith. Thus
  • white, the symbol of light, typifies innocence and purity, joy and glory;
  • red, the language of fire and blood, indicates burning charity and the martyrs' generous sacrifice;
  • green, the hue of plants and trees, bespeaks the hope of life eternal;
  • violet, the gloomy cast of the mortified, denotes affliction and melancholy;
  • black, the emblem of mourning, signifies the sorrow of death and the somberness of the tomb.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The area Reformation Celebration yesterday was GREAT!

We had maybe 1000 from maybe 6 or 7 area LCMS parishes. I sang in the mass choir (about 100), there were about 30 in the orchestra. Our preacher was a prof at Concordia Univeristy - Irvine (excellent sermon). We did a traditional Lutheran liturgy and of course with Communion. Thrivant sponsored a Brats BBQ after. Great fun and a great focus on the Gospel.

- Josiah

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, I'm impressed! :thumbsup:

That would be a day to remember.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The mistake I been hearing is how some church goers think that the Reformation is a celebration of Luther but it is totally a celebration of repentance toward God and salvation by grace alone. Hallelujah!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I DOUBT it happened much, but Catholic parishes SHOULD have celebrated yesterday...

Catholics know the ENORMOUS difference in their "popes" and generally Catholic clergy before and after the Reformation..... consider Pope Alexander VI compared to the current Pope Frances. The enormous shift happened because of Luther and the focus that happened on the horrible, entrenched corruption in the denomination: it suddenly and dramatically got corrected, and they mostly have Luther to thank for this.

Catholics (especially conservative/fundamentalist Catholics) know that before Luther, Catholic theology was very loosey-goosey, very often ignored as priests and bishops did and taught pretty much as they wanted. There were outright heresies winked at. All that changed with Luther. The RC Denomination began not only to define what it believed, but to teach this more intentionally to the clergy and even to the laity... and bishops actually became responsible for making sure that heresy was not being taught in the denomination's parishes by its clergy, indeed, the Catholicism was taught. The Catholic Church actually became Catholic in its actual teachings.... and as Catholics know, they have Luther to thank for this, he caused this paradigm shift.

And of course, the Lutheran Reformation not only brought about taught Catholic doctine but a lot of denominational unity. Of course, by far the three largest splits in Christian history were all the result of the RC Denomination (451, 1054, 1521) but as Catholics often know, the RCC itself was very divided: in practice, in doctrine, even structurally. Varies rites and societies strongly disagreed with each other in faith and practice, often strongly rebuking each other and even cases of violence between them broke out from time to time. Perhaps it was common enemy in Protestants.... perhaps it was a new found focus on Catholic theology.... perhaps it was the huge gain in papal power.... but the RC Denomination became somewhat united for the first time in history. But it was all brought about because of Martin Luther.

Other things too: Worship in the language of the people...... Bible studies and Confirmation classes..... people singing hymns (and the Catholic incorporation of LOTS of PROTESTANT hymns).... a MUCH, MUCH better trained and supervised clergy.... lay involvement.... all these things are a result of Martin Luther on the RC Denomination.

Martin Luther was a REFORMER and not a revolutionary (as many later Protestant leaders were); he never wanted the RCC to split itself... he loved many things about his denomination and felt that mostly the RCC got it right. But of course, the RCC never allowed anything he brought up to be discussed and simply kicked him out (and tried to kill him) but as it turns out, he DID radically change the RCC.... often in ways Catholics praise and rejoice in. Seems appropriate they thank the one responsibile for it: Martin Luther.

I would have LOVED to see Catholic celebrations of the Reformation and Luther but of course I didn't hold my breath.

I would have LOVED to see more Protestants celebrate the Reformation and Luther but that largely didn't happen either.

Maybe Christians (of all types) not knowing or caring about history and theology..... Maybe just a product of the pandemic of relativism found almost everywhere in Christianity today....

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The mistake I been hearing is how some church goers think that the Reformation is a celebration of Luther but it is totally a celebration of repentance toward God and salvation by grace alone. Hallelujah!

I agree....

In my parish, we had a 4 week celebration.... but our pastor STRESSED that Luther would not want a history lesson or any talk of him but a laser focus on CHRIST, the CROSS, the GOSPEL! That was the focus (Luther rarely even mentioned during these 4 weeks). Just a very, very clear presentation of Sola Gratia - Solus Christus - Sola Fide...... Soli Deo Gloria!

Pax Christi

- Josiah

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Then why not call it "Grace Sunday" or if you prefer "Grace alone Sunday"?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

But it does necessarily take account of the man who led the effort to return the Church to Biblical principles. That's not to say it should be confined to a celebration of him without paying all due attention to what it was that he championed.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, I'm impressed! :thumbsup:

That would be a day to remember.

Seriously, I would of thought you knew that concerning Lutheran liturgical colors. I thought you were just making conversation and I hadn't had time to respond yet.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But Mr Luther died of old age (well, technically the illnesses of old age really) so why red? Red is for martyrs.

First that's 'Dr.' Luther by the way :heheh: and with all the blood shed on both sides of the aisle I think red is well earned.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
First that's 'Dr.' Luther by the way :heheh: and with all the blood shed on both sides of the aisle I think red is well earned.

It is rather difficult to counter that logic, I should think.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Seriously, I would of thought you knew that concerning Lutheran liturgical colors. I thought you were just making conversation and I hadn't had time to respond yet.

I'm not getting what this has to do with that big Reformation celebration Josiah reported on and to which I said "I'm impressed." . But I'm still wondering about wearing red last Sunday. Could it have been for the feast of SS. Simon and Jude?

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not getting what this has to do with that big Reformation celebration Josiah reported on and to which I said "I'm impressed." . But I'm still wondering about wearing red last Sunday. Could it have been for the feast of SS. Simon and Jude?
Oh ok, I was out of sequence to what post you were commenting on. Now I get it.

But as far as wearing red and the practice of Lutheran liturgical color of red is observed the closest Sunday to October 31st commemorating Dr Luther's nailing of the 95 thesis on the Wittenburg Cathedral door. The congregation is encouraged to wear red also.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Oh, okay "Dr Luther". Is that like Dr Faustus? :p

Top Bottom