Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It's been a busy Hurricane season and a little more than a month left to go. Have you ever had to deal with a Hurricane?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I lived in the Houstnn area for over 20 years and had to deal with several named storms. That part of the country gets its share of severe weather.
Every two or three months it seemed there was the chance of flooding

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Nope.

The only hurricane to hit California was in 1858, and it BARELY qualified.

A pretty bad tropical storm hit Orange County in 1939, doing quite a bit of damage but winds were mostly in the 40-60 MPH range.

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's been a busy Hurricane season and a little more than a month left to go. Have you ever had to deal with a Hurricane?

Not in any meaningful sense. I took a trip to Chincoteague VA around the time Maria was headed that way but thankfully she stayed far enough offshore that it wasn't a concern. One parking area was closed because the previous one (Jose?) caused overwash and covered it in water.

As it happened Maria made it a bit wet and windy but nothing serious. I could still walk on the beach, just didn't want to go too far in case the high tide was higher than expected - I didn't want to end up wading through waist deep water or higher.

One year I was flying into the east coast, into the tail end of Hurricane Hannah (I think it was Hannah). The descent was a bit bumpy and it was wet when it came to collect the rental car but that was about it. I was also in central PA when Superstorm Sandy apparently went more or less right overhead but frankly if it hadnt been for the news coverage I'd have had no idea that it was a 900-mile wide storm). I went outside for a bit and it was wet and windy but that was all. I later found out that Sandy had brought down some branches over a foot thick barely a couple of miles away.

I vaguely recall being aware of the potential for a vacation to the US being cancelled the year Floyd came through only for that to fizzle out and not make any difference to me.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't live close enough to the water to be too affected by hurricanes except for having some rain and wind but not enough to damage anything really. My friend lives in the US Virgin Islands and they are still without power 5 weeks later. The electrical poles that remain are now falling down and there is not enough money or help to put them back up so they can have power. It's like the country forgets that they are Americans too. It must be difficult being on an island and feeling forgotten by the rest of the country.

A friend of hers started a wish list on Amazon for people to help buy school supplies for the children which is great!

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Love studying hurricanes, though I'll admit I do get scared of them if they're powerful enough. :p

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
If I was in a sturdy building I would love to watch one, I love extreme weather

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If I was in a sturdy building I would love to watch one, I love extreme weather

When Superstorm Sandy blew through I was in central PA and what I felt I wanted to do was go to the top of the nearby mountain and shout at the storm. I have no idea why I felt the urge to do that, but my wife talked me out of doing it. In fairness, it wasn't a particularly good idea :)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
When Superstorm Sandy blew through I was in central PA and what I felt I wanted to do was go to the top of the nearby mountain and shout at the storm. I have no idea why I felt the urge to do that, but my wife talked me out of doing it. In fairness, it wasn't a particularly good idea :)
Where were you, central Pa is my stomping ground

Top Bottom