Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Folks, have you noticed that, lately, the typical thread seems to start with or include a lot of You Tube type videos plus a selection of smilies, etc. given in response?

While I don't mind seeing such occasionally, and I am guilty of having done some of this as well, I'm tuning in to CH hoping for some kind of give and take or discussion. I'm finding an invitation to watch some unknown material, often quite lengthy, that is followed up with a predictable number of images that are supposed to take the place of a written reaction. How do you feel about this trend?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Anything lengthy I dont watch and most times I dont. I figure people can say what they want to without someone else saying it

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Folks, have you noticed that, lately, the typical thread seems to start with or include a lot of You Tube type videos plus a selection of smilies, etc. given in response?

While I don't mind seeing such occasionally, and I am guilty of having done some of this as well, I'm tuning in to CH hoping for some kind of give and take or discussion. I'm finding an invitation to watch some unknown material, often quite lengthy, that is followed up with a predictable number of images that are supposed to take the place of a written reaction. How do you feel about this trend?

It doesn't make for challenging conversation/debate, does it? I think it's because we've gotten so used to doing these things on Facebook that now it's being carried over to forums.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

It's better that some written responses I see :p

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's it?

Maybe we all need to make better written responses then, if this is a concern? Posting videos in lieu of stating a position on anything doesn't seem to be an improvement over clumsy written comments. And BTW, I was serious about this although I'm not incensed. I just think we have drifted into some practice because it's convenient.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I like videos :)

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Never mind.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

I got one word to say bout this LAZINESS.

Okay maybe there's more to say about it and I noticed it too and not only the videos and emoticons but the one to two word posts with no meat in them. It's like I gotta use my time as efficiently as I can when I come on here and to not have real discussions on some topics that are intriguiging drives me up a wall and I bet I ain't the only one who feels that way besides you you know.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks for your message. I want to comment on one part of it in particular. These videos, even when meant to convey some important idea about the Christian faith or etc., often don't even reflect what the poster himself thinks, so how can there be any meaningful discussion following?

The creator of the thread may say little more than "take a look at this. What do you think?"

That doesn't so much as tell the viewer where the person who created the thread stands. Or which parts he wants you to take note of. None of that. Therefore, some members will just move along rather than waste all that time for nothing and maybe not even get what the creator of the thread thinks about his own video.

I also think that most guests looking in on us would not be impressed, which may have something to do with why we have few active members but really a slew of guests.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Okay maybe there's more to say about it and I noticed it too and not only the videos and emoticons but the one to two word posts with no meat in them. It's like I gotta use my time as efficiently as I can when I come on here and to not have real discussions on some topics that are intriguiging drives me up a wall and I bet I ain't the only one who feels that way besides you you know.

Maybe the reason for posting short answers is that a short answer is all that's needed. Another possibility is that a full answer has already been posted and apparently ignored so why bother posting another only for it to be ignored. A third possibility is that the thread should have ended long ago and now it is being strung along for no good reasons.

Videos can be interesting. If you don't like them then don't click the play button. There is nothing compelling anybody to participate in a thread.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks for your message. I want to comment on one part of it in particular. These videos, even when meant to convey some important idea about the Christian faith or etc., often don't even reflect what the poster himself thinks, so how can there be any meaningful discussion following?

The creator of the thread may say little more than "take a look at this. What do you think?"

That doesn't so much as tell the viewer where the person who created the thread stands. Or which parts he wants you to take note of. None of that. Therefore, some members will just move along rather than waste all that time for nothing and maybe not even get what the creator of the thread thinks about his own video.

I also think that most guests looking in on us would not be impressed, which may have something to do with why we have few active members but really a slew of guests.

Sometimes I ask the one who posted the video questions or I reply to what I saw from the video and then I'm shot down and told that it's not what the poster had in mind. But then I'm not given any further explanation at times so the thread will die.

I think you have very valid points that if a video is posted that some wording should be added in the post to explain, ask clearly or whatever is needed to induce conversation.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It depends on how long the video is and if it is a topic that I am personally interested in.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It depends on how long the video is and if it is a topic that I am personally interested in.

I understand that. So wouldn't it be a help if we could have some change?

For instance, if the poster would say at the onset that a certain piece of information that comes up in his video -- and at what point it is to be found -- is what he is interested in discussing and, also, what his own position on that matter happens to be?

That would be a big discussion-booster because of meeting the very reasonable complaint we've read here, that it's not worth committing ten or more minutes to finding out who knows what.

No one seems to be concerned about emoticons, so I consider that issue closed.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I understand that. So wouldn't it be a help if we could have some change?

For instance, if the poster would say at the onset that a certain piece of information that comes up in his video -- and at what point it is to be found -- is what he is interested in discussing and, also, what his own position on that matter happens to be?

That would be a big discussion-booster because of meeting the very reasonable complaint we've read here, that it's not worth committing ten or more minutes to finding out who knows what.

No one seems to be concerned about emoticons, so I consider that issue closed.

You could try watching the video to see if anything in it is interesting and what points relate to the thread topic. Failing that you need not respond to the thread nobody is required to respond, right?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You could try watching the video to see if anything in it is interesting and what points relate to the thread topic. Failing that you need not respond to the thread nobody is required to respond, right?

You could also hold your breath while reading every post. But why do it?

The point is that people (as we have read) don't want to invest ten or more minutes in some unknown just because the poster says "Look at this" or "What do you think of this?" or "This is interesting"...and they have said so.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You could also hold your breath while reading every post. But why do it?

The point is that people (as we have read) don't want to invest ten or more minutes in some unknown just because the poster says "Look at this" or "What do you think of this?" or "This is interesting"...and they have said so.

Yes, you could do whatever takes your fancy while reading, watching, or just dozing. It's up to you. In your comfy seat with your computer.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Certainly. I was thinking of what would make the forum better for members and potential members.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Certainly. I was thinking of what would make the forum better for members and potential members.

More threads with topics that people want to chat about will be good. Start a few and see how they go.

Top Bottom