Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
White privilege bolstered by teaching math, university professor says

"A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege."

The article made me raise my eyebrows so high they're in the back of my head now. The comments made me laugh though!

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
As a retired scientist, mathematician and educator I would differ. Young people seldom are taught about the mathematical, scientific and technological accomplishments of such peoples as the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Chinese, the Hindus, the Muslims, the Aztecs, the Mayans and the Incas. By not teaching this, yes there is a white cultural bias. However the problem lies not in mathematics but in history.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Actually, MY experience with Math departments at universities and folks with Ph.D.'s in math is that it's Asians (especially those of Chinese ancestory) who seem to be over-represented. But yes, "whites" and males are, too (with notable exceptions; one of the people in my workplace is a African-American woman with a Ph.D. in math)

I doubt (but do not know) that this has much to do with our DNA. I suspect it has a lot to do with our upbringing. Boys are just EXPECTED to be better and more interested in math (and the sciences in general) and so I think get attention and encouragement perhaps disproportional to their numbers. And in Asian culture, education appears to ME to be more valued than in our Western culture so all this is just greater there.

I was always very good in math... but I don't think I was "gifted" at all, I just saw it as a game, as puzzles, and I thus found it fun. Science in general was always, by far, my best subject in school because I LOVED it. Virtually my entire library as a kid was books about science. Was this because of any DNA in me? I highly doubt it. Was I "gifted" in all this? I doubt that, too. I think I was just interested... and encouraged.

Reactions: JRT

Asuk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Well it should be renamed as Tyrone’s Theorem.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
New college subjects: the history and sociology of mathematics 101; the history of mathematics language 102; cultural identity of mathematics 103; the white privilege and racism of mathematics 104, which are all prerequisites for pure math, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and a whole host of other "-ometries."

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As a general rule any time I see an argument that makes an appeal to this mysterious concept of "privilege" I switch off, simply because so much of it is little more than whinging and/or reverse discrimination under the guise of being inclusive.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As a retired scientist, mathematician and educator I would differ. Young people seldom are taught about the mathematical, scientific and technological accomplishments of such peoples as the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Chinese, the Hindus, the Muslims, the Aztecs, the Mayans and the Incas. By not teaching this, yes there is a white cultural bias. However the problem lies not in mathematics but in history.

Unfortunately, what you are referring to is not history so much as it is the study of curiosities.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Hmm well studying might be a privilege of the rich or at least a lot easier. I studied cause my dad had money. My ex didnt study cause his parents werent wealthy and had 6 kids. After 16: bye go get a job.
A kid from a hood is less likely to have the parents stimulate it to do a study. A starving kid in Africa isnt privileged either to go study math. But what it has to do w math I dont know.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think you're right about this. The professor neglected to do her research before making the absurd claim that she did! I was not privileged because I was good at math. My sister grew up in the same family and wasn't as good at it. Was she less privileged?

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pedrito has come across other biasses as well.

He administered on well over 100 occasions while recruiting at different times, a particular aptitude test supposedly designed to identify people with high (or potentially high) ability with respect to computer programmimg.

The test had five sections, all supposedly relevant. But only one of those sections had direct predictive power. It was very good. It was also bidirectional – after working with someone for a while, Pedrito could predict their score if he tested them.

Another section identified a specific ability useful in a particular situation. Which sometimes let people in even if their primary score was below Pedrito's normal cutoff point.

But the first of the five sections was really classic. It tested a candidate's ability to speak English. Apparently only fluent speakers of English were regarded as having computer programming ability.

Wisely, Pedrito totally ignored the results from that section. As well as those from the remaining two. Not surprisingly, he ended up with good people.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
My university had at least 20 or so African math graduate students.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Maybe it is best just to let threads that died more than a year ago just stay dead.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
White privilege bolstered by teaching math, university professor says

"A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege."

The article made me raise my eyebrows so high they're in the back of my head now. The comments made me laugh though!

Were I use to work, we had a few Ph.D.'s in math.... they were all Asian. Tiny sample but kind of disagrees with that prof.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Honestly, I don't think most white people can do math, lol. Sure, maybe more whites know math than other groups. However, whites as a whole, cannot do math.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Honestly, I don't think most white people can do math, lol. Sure, maybe more whites know math than other groups. However, whites as a whole, cannot do math.

Where was that study done?? :thinking:

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No

I'm just generalizing to answer racist thought. Most racists might bring up math - even though, a vast majority of whites are not math whizzes - just as with everyone else, except Northeast Asians, maybe.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm just generalizing to answer racist thought. Most racists might bring up math - even though, a vast majority of whites are not math whizzes - just as with everyone else, except Northeast Asians, maybe.

Ah, gotcha. I was going to say I used to be excellent at math until I had my daughter and then all my brains went into her. I am serious. I don't know what happened. I have a friend who writes math equations to make money and wanted me to help her out with some of her jobs but I admitted that I can't think like that anymore. It's sad really that my brain turned on me.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Really? Most racists might bring up math? Do you know a lot of racist people?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

It was a case study on me in high school :D

I did, however, get an "A" in statistics for my Master's. Go figure

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Really? Most racists might bring up math? Do you know a lot of racist people?

They bring up IQ. Yes, I have trolled hate sites. :xD:

Top Bottom