• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: Purgatory?

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      Yes. People do that with other issues, too,but unless you're offering an alternate way of looking at some of what Purgatory does or is, it doesn't seem appropriate to use the word at all, such as "my idea of Purgatory is X." If X has nothing at all to do with what Purgatory is or does, it seems clearer just to say, "I don't believe in Purgatory, but I do believe in ...."
      But purge is in the bible, ok we are purged here an now... Is that a more proper way to explain my peace in this matter?

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      52.88%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Never be afraid of the word purge nor of the state of being purged - purgatory - just because Catholics use the word. Protestants are full of fears and superstitions about words and days. Some are frightened of Christmas and Easter because they think that days can be pagan and satanic some desire to keep Sabbath on Saturday because they've become superstitious about which day "is the right one". Some are fearful of baptismal regeneration because they fear adding man's works to their salvation. And, of course, many are superstitious about purgatory because it's Catholic. It is Catholic and it is biblical and it is what Jesus Christ teaches. But because it is Catholic they are afraid of it.
      Baptism is a work done out of faith. I can't find purgatory in the Bible. Used to believe it and also universalism cause Sadhu Sundhar Singh saw that and then I read that although he's dead he visits Todd Bentley. Ehmm maybe his visions weren't so kosher after all.
      I don't care if something is a catholic or reformed teaching if I can find it in the Bible.
      I changed some beliefs. I used to believe election wasn't true. It's in the Bible, so then I dismiss what I've learned.
      Last edited by Imalive; 11-05-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Albion is online now Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      84.69%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      But purge is in the bible, ok we are purged here an now... Is that a more proper way to explain my peace in this matter?
      I'd say so. You are saying that some punishment for sin occurs here and now and that it can be called a purgation of sorts, but there's no reason to use the word Purgatory since that's a proper noun and refers to a different, more controversial, very specific...and unscriptural theory that was only invented during the Middle Ages. To put it another way, you're not correcting something about Purgatory; you are talking about something that has virtually nothing to do with the "place."

4. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      I'd say so. You are saying that some punishment for sin occurs here and now and that it can be called a purgation of sorts, but there's no reason to use the word Purgatory since that's a proper noun and refers to a different, more controversial, very specific...and unscriptural theory that was only invented during the Middle Ages. To put it another way, you're not correcting something about Purgatory; you are talking about something that has virtually nothing to do with the "place."
      I'll take that. I'll learn to use "purgation" and indeed sin is evil here and now not after death.

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.15%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      It is Catholic but it is niot taught by the bible, An invention to raise money by buying your way out me thinks
      You thinks wrong.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

7. Likes ImaginaryDay2 liked this post
      MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      4.15%
      Quote Originally Posted by Imalive View Post
      Baptism is a work done out of faith. I can't find purgatory in the Bible. Used to believe it and also universalism cause Sadhu Sundhar Singh saw that and then I read that although he's dead he visits Todd Bentley. Ehmm maybe his visions weren't so kosher after all.
      I don't care if something is a catholic or reformed teaching if I can find it in the Bible.
      I changed some beliefs. I used to believe election wasn't true. It's in the Bible, so then I dismiss what I've learned.
      Todd Bentley is a crazy man heretic.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

9. Likes Imalive liked this post
      TheThirdAngel144 is offline Participant Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      88.5%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      I shrugged it off at first but this video helped understand the Catholic view.
      I see how our denominations are equal in the body. For instance I see Catholicism as very devote to prayer, Protestant is very devote to keeping Catholicism in check also they keep strict scriptural adherence as Catholicism can help average people unlearned biblically to a fellowship until they become learned, they can decide to stay, leave to protestant or to self proclamations or to Pentecostals who are rejected by protestants and Catholics alike.
      Pentecostals are strictly devoted to worship and praise five times a week and even dispute amongst themselves to keep check within this black sheep view of apostolic ministry. Opinions will vary...
      The Church of Christ is not to be divided upon lines of important doctrine, such as God's 10 Holy Commandments. Christ's church is small in these remaining days of life on earth. The Pharisees, Saducees, Scribes, and Lawyers might have all united, but they were not united in Christ, but rather against Him. It is extremely important to understand the truth as it is in Christ Jesus. The idols that are set up, and are bowed down to need to be removed. If we want a reformation, it has to be a true reformation. God's Law must be exalted. The true 7th Day Sabbath must also be kept, instead of SUNday, which is not the Christian Sabbath.
      Last edited by TheThirdAngel144; 01-03-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added additional content

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.29%
      Quote Originally Posted by TheThirdAngel144 View Post
      The Church of Christ is not to be divided upon lines of important doctrine, such as God's 10 Holy Commandments. Christ's church is small in these remaining days of life on earth. The Pharisees, Saducees, Scribes, and Lawyers might have all united, but they were not united in Christ, but rather against Him. It is extremely important to understand the truth as it is in Christ Jesus. The idols that are set up, and are bowed down to need to be removed. If we want a reformation, it has to be a true reformation. God's Law must be exalted. The true 7th Day Sabbath must also be kept, instead of SUNday, which is not the Christian Sabbath.
      What do you mean by Reformation?

Sent from my H710VL using Tapatalk

Albion is online now Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      84.69%
      Everyone becoming Seventh Day Adventist.

13. Likes Josiah liked this post
      meluckycharms is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level