• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

World Religion & Speculative Theology - Thread: Purgatory?

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.48%

Purgatory?

I shrugged it off at first but this video helped understand the Catholic view.
      I see how our denominations are equal in the body. For instance I see Catholicism as very devote to prayer, Protestant is very devote to keeping Catholicism in check also they keep strict scriptural adherence as Catholicism can help average people unlearned biblically to a fellowship until they become learned, they can decide to stay, leave to protestant or to self proclamations or to Pentecostals who are rejected by protestants and Catholics alike.
      Pentecostals are strictly devoted to worship and praise five times a week and even dispute amongst themselves to keep check within this black sheep view of apostolic ministry. Opinions will vary... Albion and Menno, for this is my personal understanding.
      Dear MoreCoffee, you might be proud that I have been subscribed to Sensus Fidelium for years, even though I find him harsh and brutal but not as much as vortex who I am also subscribed
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 10-24-2017 at 06:31 PM.

MoreCoffee is offline Silver Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      "devoted to" or maybe "devout in" but not "devote to" - helpful criticism without a bit of meanness in it.

Purgatory is a universal Christian belief but some people like to think of purgatory as instantaneous so they never use the word and a few of them get all worked up when Catholics use the word. Purgatory refers to the purging away of impurities prior to appearing before God in heaven as one of the redeemed. Protestants, Orthodox, Catholic, and even the strange sects derived from Protestantism like Jehovah's witnesses and Christadelphians, believe that the redeemed in heaven are completely pure and totally sin free yet at the moment of death very few here on Earth either believe or teach that Christians are completely pure and totally sin free. The process by which one changes from Earthly impurity to heavenly perfection is called purgatory by Catholics and is called <insert secret word here> by Protestants. Orthodox people probably do not have an agreed vocabulary for the transition. Protestants appear to think the transition is instantaneous. Catholics teach that the transition is experienced and probably remembered as well as one remembers Earthly life when in heaven.

The Catechism of the Council of Trent says these things about purgatory
      Different Abodes Called Hell
      These abodes are not all of the same nature, for among them is that most loathsome and dark prison in which the souls of the damned are tormented with the unclean spirits in eternal and inextinguishable fire. This place is called gehenna, the bottomless pit, and is hell strictly so-called.

Among them is also the fire of purgatory, in which the souls of just men are cleansed by a temporary punishment, in order to be admitted into their eternal country, into which nothing defiled entereth. The truth of this doctrine, founded, as holy Councils declare,' on Scripture, and confirmed by Apostolic tradition, demands exposition from the pastor, all the more diligent and frequent, because we live in times when men endure not sound doctrine.

Lastly, the third kind of abode is that into which the souls of the just before the coming of Christ the Lord, were received, and where, without experiencing any sort of pain, but supported by the blessed hope of redemption, they enjoyed peaceful repose. To liberate these holy souls, who, in the bosom of Abraham were expecting the Saviour, Christ the Lord descended into hell.
      Last edited by MoreCoffee; 10-24-2017 at 06:40 PM.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

3. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      MennoSota is online now Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      73.07%
      Purgatory is just another heresy developed at the most vile Council of Trent where the devil fully devoured the pope and his minions.

Purgatory was defined at the Council of Trent in 1545-1563: "Whereas the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has from the Sacred Scriptures and the ancient tradition of the Fathers taught in Councils and very recently in this Ecumenical synod that there is a purgatory, and that the souls therein are helped by the suffrages of the faithful, but principally by the acceptable Sacrifice of the Altar."

Albion is offline Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      20.59%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      I shrugged it off at first but this video helped understand the Catholic view.
      I see how our denominations are equal in the body. For instance I see Catholicism as very devote to prayer, Protestant is very devote to keeping Catholicism in check also they keep strict scriptural adherence as Catholicism can help average people unlearned biblically to a fellowship until they become learned, they can decide to stay, leave to protestant or to self proclamations or to Pentecostals who are rejected by protestants and Catholics alike.
      Pentecostals are strictly devoted to worship and praise five times a week and even dispute amongst themselves to keep check within this black sheep view of apostolic ministry. Opinions will vary... Albion and Menno, for this is my personal understanding.
      Dear MoreCoffee, you might be proud that I have been subscribed to Sensus Fidelium for years, even though I find him harsh and brutal but not as much as vortex who I am also subscribed
      Since your topic is Purgatory, would you tell us what understanding or main points, etc. you took away from your look at the RCC's teachings on Purgatory?? What you found most persuasive, if anything, or least convincing. Whatever.

Thanks.

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.48%
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      Purgatory is just another heresy developed at the most vile Council of Trent where the devil fully devoured the pope and his minions.
      Instructed by the Holy Ghost is indeed a powerful proclamation. My church teaches to fully repent and stay cleansed and do no sin after the baptism in Jesus name and if you do to ask God on the spot for forgiveness and let his mercy correct you. Proverbs does say that even the just will sin seven times but I dont know where it says seven times a day as claimed. This simply helped my understanding of why the Catholic church came to this reasoning, I still keep to my church view but like I said, in my opinion, that Catholicism helps the unlearned into the fellowship and we are free to decide from there. It would be nice to go to Heaven for eternity after burning in fire intensely for a time, but why not just adapt to Christ living now? That's my view, but for the unlearned I see it differently... I know this all sounds contradictory but in all earnest understanding of grace this teaching gives the unlearned Hope other than retreat.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Okay, tell us what purgatory is. I want to know that you're not repeating slogans without having a clue what the thing you're denouncing is.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

8. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      73.07%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Okay, tell us what purgatory is. I want to know that you're not repeating slogans without having a clue what the thing you're denouncing is.
      Purgatory is a created argument by vile leaders in the RCC and confirmed at the most vile Council of Trent.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Purgatory is a created argument by vile leaders in the RCC and confirmed at the most vile Council of Trent.
      Great, you really do not have a clue what it is or what it means.

Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      73.07%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Great, you really do not have a clue what it is or what it means.
      How could I? It is found nowhere in the Bible, so it's clear that God doesn't teach it.
      You may claim it is in the apocrypha, but that too was confirmed at the vile Council of Trent.
      The Council of Trent was a council born in the bowels of hell.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.42%
      Purgatory is in the bible. You just do not know the bible very well MennoSota. That is why you do not see it when it is in front of you. Hidden from you in plain sight. Purgatory is even in your eviscerated 66 book "bible" - by the way, do you notice how like the number of the beast 66 is?