Bullying

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
They used to tell kids "tell an adult." There are times when that's the only approach, but a lot of the times teachers getting involved makes it worse. That assumes bullying that doesn't involve actual physical damage. That's the case in our local schools. I did once know a kid who was being physically bullied. When there's blood on the floor, that's when adults have to deal with it. And they did in that case.

The last I looked research was tending to say that the reaction of other kids is critical. Bullies work because others support them. If kids won't tolerate bullying, it won't happen as much. And if it does, supporting the victim emotionally afterwards removes a lot of the sting. I've started hearing kids say "don't be a bystandard," so I'm assuming that's what our local school is now teaching. (This was a 5th grader, by the way.)

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
They used to tell kids "tell an adult." There are times when that's the only approach, but a lot of the times teachers getting involved makes it worse. That assumes bullying that doesn't involve actual physical damage. That's the case in our local schools. I did once know a kid who was being physically bullied. When there's blood on the floor, that's when adults have to deal with it. And they did in that case.

The last I looked research was tending to say that the reaction of other kids is critical. Bullies work because others support them. If kids won't tolerate bullying, it won't happen as much. And if it does, supporting the victim emotionally afterwards removes a lot of the sting. I've started hearing kids say "don't be a bystandard," so I'm assuming that's what our local school is now teaching. (This was a 5th grader, by the way.)

yes, there is a "speak up" emphasis that has been going on for a while

https://youtu.be/ES-UH_VF9f4

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Teachers could do more, I always found it easier to goof off when the teacher was in sight rather than not seeing the teacher if she were outside, coming in at any given second. Maybe video should be something classrooms can consider, they have gotten rather cheap these days

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

That can work but requires a degree of solidarity among the rest of the class. It's easy to see why one wouldn't want to support the victim, if there's a good chance they will become the next victim.

The class bully I eventually fought back against essentially went through the class one by one, picking on each one in turn. Many people joined him, even if for no reason other than not wanting to end up in his crosshairs.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I remember when I was 6 a girl w red hair got bullied. Red haired or kids w glasses or fat kids always got bullied when I was young. They were from a higher class. They said to me, a group of girls: look! There's a flee! Oh. So I look. I see nothing. I thought ah they're just trying to trick me. No look she is the flee. And they pointed at that girl. I didnt even realize what they were doing. I just said: That ain't no flee. Go fool someone else.
LOL that girl was so happy that I stood up for her. W her bday she went to all the classes to treat the teachers and normally only kids from your own class get candy, but she gave me candy.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
And in high school they put me under pressure. You had to also pick on a weak one, otherwise you wouldn't fit in their popular group. Well, then not. We not popular ones made our own group.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
And in high school they put me under pressure. You had to also pick on a weak one, otherwise you wouldn't fit in their popular group. Well, then not. We not popular ones made our own group.

Three cheers for non-popular peoples!

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
It happened on cf singles too. There were the popular ones, but they went to another forum together, so they could just talk as popular ones w each other. We weren't invited. LOL but then almost nobody was left and I was bored to no end, so the place was taken over by the non populars having loads of fun and then the popular group came back and felt left out. That was funny.
Gosh I read they even bully in old people homes. It's crazy.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It happened on cf singles too. There were the popular ones, but they went to another forum together, so they could just talk as popular ones w each other. We weren't invited. LOL but then almost nobody was left and I was bored to no end, so the place was taken over by the non populars having loads of fun and then the popular group came back and felt left out. That was funny.

People can be very mean.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Cyber bullying is rampant these days. What can be done about it?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

Those forums didn't last. Most of the people that went to them are now back on CF, either under their main or new names, and the forums they "escaped" to are mostly abandoned.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Is this topic here because Donald's current wife got into a campaign against bullying?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is this topic here because Donald's current wife got into a campaign against bullying?

No. I didn't know she is doing that's. Good for her for being concerned about something besides what dress she is going to wear.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Cyber bullying is rampant these days. What can be done about it?

limit social media, especially with young kids. Parents should also insist that they are friends with their kids on facebook so they can monitor what they are saying and to who. I saw on the news that a male was portraying himself as a 12 year old and talking to another 12 year old girl and had her send nude pictures and videos of herself and then he threatened to send them to her friends if she stopped sending pictures. He is facing 8 charges now in court.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
limit social media, especially with young kids. Parents should also insist that they are friends with their kids on facebook so they can monitor what they are saying and to who. I saw on the news that a male was portraying himself as a 12 year old and talking to another 12 year old girl and had her send nude pictures and videos of herself and then he threatened to send them to her friends if she stopped sending pictures. He is facing 8 charges now in court.

Children under 13 shouldn't be on social media anyway but these days it seems parents yield as soon as the "everyone else does" line gets played.

Our world is so upside down and inside out these days, and social media does little to help. Generally the thing it seems to do best is help people feel inadequate and isolated.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Children under 13 shouldn't be on social media anyway but these days it seems parents yield as soon as the "everyone else does" line gets played.

Our world is so upside down and inside out these days, and social media does little to help. Generally the thing it seems to do best is help people feel inadequate and isolated.

My kids have a Facebook page but they only have friends that their dad approves of. Old family members. So the 8 y o put some drawings on it and all the aunts said: oh how nice. I gave him a profile w my office email so i get all these dumb emails. Look Roy have you noticed that aunt so and so posted this? He thought it was fun for a week but then he had like 30 comments on one drawing and said: mom can you tell em i have no time for Facebook? I gotta play soccer.

Top Bottom