Hero worship?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Gord Downie, of the Canadian band 'Tragically Hip', passed away last night at 53 y.o. I was/am a fan of their music, and was aware of them many years ago, although they had been primarily a Canadian act. he passed away from an aggressive form of brain cancer, and spent his last years bringing awareness of cancer, and supporting Canadian indigenous/Native rights.

But...

What has ensued today is nothing short of a placing a man on a pedestal. He has been given a sort of 'icon' status now that began when his cancer diagnosis was brought to light, but he, himself, seemed to be quite humble.

What do we do with our tendency toward cultural "hero worship"?

RIP Gord Downie

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
double post

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"Heros" can be a good thing. It's good to have models, examples, people who live exemplary lives.... We have a rich tradition in Christianity with the "saints". I think it helps to see REAL people in the REAL world - doing well and good. Mother Theresa sure comes to my mind.... I think of people too who rose above terrible conditions and realities - and are inspirations for those of us who struggle at times.

Of course, we need to remember that these are sinners..... they have their flaws and sins. In part, in a way, that actually helps make them heros (they are REAL).

It's just that I think our modern culture not infrequently chooses odd heroes....

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Gord Downie, of the Canadian band 'Tragically Hip', passed away last night at 53 y.o. I was/am a fan of their music, and was aware of them many years ago, although they had been primarily a Canadian act. he passed away from an aggressive form of brain cancer, and spent his last years bringing awareness of cancer, and supporting Canadian indigenous/Native rights.

But...

What has ensued today is nothing short of a placing a man on a pedestal. He has been given a sort of 'icon' status now that began when his cancer diagnosis was brought to light, but he, himself, seemed to be quite humble.

RIP Gord Downie

Give the Canadian media a week, and they'll be over it and back to making fun of Trump.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Give the Canadian media a week, and they'll be over it and back to making fun of Trump.

Donald is good for joke makers the world over

:smirk:

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
"Heros" can be a good thing. It's good to have models, examples, people who live exemplary lives.... We have a rich tradition in Christianity with the "saints". I think it helps to see REAL people in the REAL world - doing well and good. Mother Theresa sure comes to my mind.... I think of people too who rose above terrible conditions and realities - and are inspirations for those of us who struggle at times.

Of course, we need to remember that these are sinners..... they have their flaws and sins. In part, in a way, that actually helps make them heros (they are REAL).

It's just that I think our modern culture not infrequently chooses odd heroes....

Yes or the faith heros from Hebrews 11.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

But...

RIP Gord Downie

Hero worship is idolatry. Programs like Idols, the name already says it.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Oftentimes the way a news event is reported includes rhetoric that is meant to make the person exposed to it feel, or made to think they should feel - part of "the collective consciousness" in whatever agenda they are selling. Certain statements are presented as if they were common knowledge even though they may not be necessarily true or mostly true and not exaggerated. When looking up this gentlemen's death just on youtube - I found a news story that was just the kind of thing I think fits your description of "hero worship". It's full of flowery praise and exultation of a person - and it immediately makes me suspicious. Of course - everything they say could be true - but I'm wondering why they are making the deal of it that they are - ie: what other info are they trying to sell me by appealing to my emotions and empathy first? Can't always figure it - but it's often there somewhere.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Corrie ten Boom once preached somewhere and they announced her as the wonderful selfless terrific woman. Lol God said: tell em the truth and she shared how she had just gone to a meeting in Africa where a lot of ppl got saved, but she wanted the meeting to stop, because those mosquitos were bothering her and it was terribly hot.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The people who are of this world and not saved are getting all of the reward they will ever get during this lifetime and then they experience hell. While the saved often get no reward or little on this earth and then get eternal life and reward in heaven. I would rather be in the second group. The world can worship whoever they want. It makes no difference to me. I'm looking for the Lord's approval and heavenly rewards

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Oftentimes the way a news event is reported includes rhetoric that is meant to make the person exposed to it feel, or made to think they should feel - part of "the collective consciousness" in whatever agenda they are selling. Certain statements are presented as if they were common knowledge even though they may not be necessarily true or mostly true and not exaggerated. When looking up this gentlemen's death just on youtube - I found a news story that was just the kind of thing I think fits your description of "hero worship". It's full of flowery praise and exultation of a person - and it immediately makes me suspicious. Of course - everything they say could be true - but I'm wondering why they are making the deal of it that they are - ie: what other info are they trying to sell me by appealing to my emotions and empathy first? Can't always figure it - but it's often there somewhere.

My sentiments exactly. I hadn't expected the whole day to be a big to-do about it. I searched you-tube a bit, and found an interview with him from last year to get an idea of how he viewed himself. Not at all how he's being portrayed now. I watched a humble guy, struggling with his memory, and worried for his kids and family when he passed away. He kept working because that's all he knew to do. He seemed sort of mystified by all the adulation

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is there a difference between memorializing someone and hero worship? I kind of think so.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The people who are of this world and not saved are getting all of the reward they will ever get during this lifetime and then they experience hell. While the saved often get no reward or little on this earth and then get eternal life and reward in heaven. I would rather be in the second group. The world can worship whoever they want. It makes no difference to me. I'm looking for the Lord's approval and heavenly rewards
Amen to that.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Is there a difference between memorializing someone and hero worship? I kind of think so.

I think so. I was considering this for a bit. When I was a teenager, I was all broken up about a bass player who had passed away due to a bus accident while his band was on tour. He was a favorite of mine - an 'idol' you might say. To my teenage mind, it was hard.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The Lincoln memorial isn't the site of a temple for the religious worship of Abraham Lincoln. Anybody who believes that it is is likely to be a bit crazy.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I recall being saddened when Keith Green died in an airplane crash. His music was a blessing to many Christians in the late 70s and early 80s.
I also was/am quite sad to hear that Nabeel Qureshi died from stomach cancer this fall. He was a great source in bringing the gospel to Muslims and explaining Islam to Christians.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I recall being saddened when Keith Green died in an airplane crash. His music was a blessing to many Christians in the late 70s and early 80s.
I also was/am quite sad to hear that Nabeel Qureshi died from stomach cancer this fall. He was a great source in bringing the gospel to Muslims and explaining Islam to Christians.

I remember Keith Green, I was a young fellow back then. You must be old!

:smirk:

Top Bottom