Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The USA has a slogan "Make American Great Again" which echoes the slogan that Italy had seventy years ago. The sloganeer in Italy ...

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is MoreCoffee suggesting that the USA should Muzzle-ini itself?

Reactions: JRT

J.Money

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's pretty interesting. Although the slogan "Make America Great Again" came from Reagan's presidential campaign.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Quite possibly...and it's been pointed out that the MAGA slogan was used--or something very similar to it--by a surprisingly large array of earlier politicians, both foreign and domestic, and from both the political left and right.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here's one from a different election campaign: ‘Put Australia first.’

It, too, could be said to be reminiscent of a slogan once used by a fascistic organization.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It would be interesting to study the politics of tribalism. I worked with indigenous natives and a "prophet" in their tribe would talk about the soon to come day when the white man would be driven off the land.
It seems that humans are prone to tribalism at a small level and then up to greater society.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But there's actually no "tribalism" sentiment in the MAGA slogan.

I'd love to have my city be as vibrant and prosperous as it once was, for example, and I don't care at all if others revive at the same time. To that end, I'd like to have new employment opportunities here, new businesses, more new homes being built, and all of that probably would require good leadership. That's the idea.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The USA has a slogan "Make American Great Again" which echoes the slogan that Italy had seventy years ago. The sloganeer in Italy ...

The "guilt by association" ploy.....

"You must be a Nazi because you have blue eyes and Hitler had blue eyes." It's silly, it's a desperate move made ONLY when it's the only card the accuser can play, it's disallowed in debate and it's disallowed at many websites.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Unfortunately, it has become a familiar technique used all over social media these days, so it's not surprising to see here as well. Full blown, the way it works is to take one idea and associate it with another and then that one with another and so on until you can state a conclusion in which the last entry really has nothing to do with the first but it looks likely. And the speaker can always point to the first one and claim that it is known by everyone, so.......

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Interesting, given the underlying subject of this is obviously Donald Trump, I was reading a commentary the other day that showed how many people actually have some confidence in Donald Trump despite what they say if asked directly.

If people are asked what they think of Trump the chances are they will say something negative. But if people are asked more generally about their thoughts on the long term economic situation they are far more positive. If they truly thought so badly of Trump then logically they would also be gloomy about economic forecasts because if you've got a monkey behind the wheel it doesn't take a genius to conclude that the ship will probably crash. So it would appear that either people are less negative about Trump than they overtly express, or they believe the economy has little to nothing to do with the actions of the President.

It was an interesting read, I'll post it if I can ever find it again.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Make Christianity Haven great again! :groupheads:

A lot of slogans get recirculated through time...it's like you can't invent the wheel again :)

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Interesting, given the underlying subject of this is obviously Donald Trump, I was reading a commentary the other day that showed how many people actually have some confidence in Donald Trump despite what they say if asked directly.

If people are asked what they think of Trump the chances are they will say something negative. But if people are asked more generally about their thoughts on the long term economic situation they are far more positive. If they truly thought so badly of Trump then logically they would also be gloomy about economic forecasts because if you've got a monkey behind the wheel it doesn't take a genius to conclude that the ship will probably crash. So it would appear that either people are less negative about Trump than they overtly express, or they believe the economy has little to nothing to do with the actions of the President.

I believe you're right about that. It matters how the questions are asked, and we all should notice that the polling services--or the media reporting on the results--almost never bother to include the actual question that was being asked. Worse--and here is a point that few people realize--the polls do not just sample at random as is often thought. Almost all of these polls are based upon the results obtained from significantly more Democrats than Republicans (and, of course, there are also Independents). One of them that I was perusing the other day was based upon the responses obtained from approximately 50% more self-identified Democrats than Republicans.

Well, what should we expect them to have said, given the solid commitment on the part of the nation's Democratic Party leaders to the proposition that the president is the worst ever and ought to be impeached?

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

It was an interesting read, I'll post it if I can ever find it again.

People are probably less negative about Trump than they say, simply because they're aware that almost every media and social outlet is prejudiced against him. Who wants to be quizzed by someone who'll jump down your throat the minute you give an answer they deem unpopular? People also tend to ask leading questions, to steer the person being quizzed to give them the answer that they want. What about all those " surveys" that more or less stated that Trump didn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of being elected president? He is certainly no worse than Hillary Clinton would have been and he is interested in setting America back on a dominant path. I haven't heard of our current C- in-C giving " apology tours" the way our former C-in-C did. So, Trump likes to golf. If I recall correctly, so did Obama. Bill Clinton liked to do other things that he became notorious for. George W. Bush gave not a fig what the rest of the world thought of us and he glassed a couple of countries as a result of that September 11 attack. For some reason, what's good for America seems to be bad for the rest of the world. I still haven't been able to figure out exactly why that is.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Did Adolf Hitler have blue eyes?

Odd thing for Josiah to say because the video is not about Adolf. It's about Italy on the road to world war II.

PS: Donald is okay, he provides a lot of twitter entertainment. But you USA guys need to impeach him soon. Before he has a chance to mess things up more than he already has

:smirk:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Did Adolf Hitler have blue eyes?
Yes.

Odd thing for Josiah to say because the video is not about Adolf. It's about Italy on the road to world war II.
Perhaps, but the thread isn't about Italy on the road to war or anywhere else.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes.

Perhaps, but the thread isn't about Italy on the road to war or anywhere else.

The thread is about the slogan Make Italy Great Again and the interesting use of a similar slogan in the 2016 USA presidential elections. It isn't guilt by association as Josiah suggested. It's noting the coincidence of slogan wording. It will be interesting to see how matters play out. In Italy - which was poorly equipped militarily and endured widespread poverty - the matters played out badly. Italy was not ready for the world stage and the vast war that Germany and Japan foisted upon them. The USA is very strong militarily now and many of its people are comparatively well off. So the situation in the two nations differs significantly. Yet the same kind of slogans arose. And in the USA today there are deep divisions between people. One wonders how matters will play out.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Make Christianity Haven great again! :groupheads:

A lot of slogans get recirculated through time...it's like you can't invent the wheel again :)

Heh heh heh. Was CH "great" in the past?

:p

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Its great now

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The thread is about the slogan Make Italy Great Again .

LOL That's a "nice try," as they say. However, we all know that it's just another anti-Trump jab. That's the theme, this time dressed up with a video/picture of Hitler and Mussolini.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
LOL That's a "nice try," as they say. However, we all know that it's just another anti-Trump jab. That's the theme, this time dressed up with a video/picture of Hitler and Mussolini.

Okay, have it your way in your own posts. The thread is about what it is about. The video is about what it is about. I am not going to waste time with your spurious claims.

:Nooo:

Top Bottom