CH Cash
      (140,102 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.12%

Boy Scouts now accepts girls

I saw the news a few days ago that the Boy Scouts will now accept girls into their organization. Is this a business move? Inclusion? Stupid?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.26%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      I saw the news a few days ago that the Boy Scouts will now accept girls into their organization. Is this a business move? Inclusion? Stupid?
      What's next? Will boys be allowed to join the girl scouts? This seems really stupid to me. I remember years of going to cub scouts, though I didn't do boy scouts. We had a lot of great camping trips and a lot of it was about having fun with other guys and doing guy stuff.

Stravinsk is offline Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
      Widow/Widower
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      It's stupid for an organization defined by it's gender (and all definitions are exclusive in that they include one thing and exclude others) to make a mockery of it with the change. But - I'm not surprised. The stupidity didn't start with this - it started years ago - with the inclusion of gays and then the inclusion of gay leaders.

So - yeah - not surprised at all with the mockery of gender and the idea that gender is merely some sort of social construct (which it is not).

If I were a parent I'd steer way clear. Let the already dwindling numbers dwindle to nothing and join or start another organization that hasn't become the definition of stupid and perverse.

Josiah is online now Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      25.36%
      Former Boy Scout here....

I'm perfectly okay with it since there will be separate dens and troops. Actually, the older groups (Explorer Scouts, Sea Scouts, etc.) have been co-ed for decades and never a problem (usually, where girls are involved in those, it's usually sisters of guys already very involved). Girl Scouts really has nothing comparable, and certainly nothing remotely approaching Eagle Scout (which now will be available to girls).

I DO wonder how the camps will operate since I doubt there will be enough girls (and girl staffers) to run one exclusively for girls for a week - but maybe. Not sure it would be good to be co-ed in camp, although heaven knows lots of camps are coed and make it work.

The BSA was established to build men.... and as a very active former boy scout myself, the GUY aspect of it was a big draw - this was a BOY thing, with the GUYS. But again, the girls will have an identical program (because mostly being a man just means being an adult - it all applies for girls, too). I remember sisters of some boy scouts who wanted to be involved.... and I KNOW many would be excited about being able to pursue the Eagle Scout thing.

BTW, I'm not an Eagle Scout (not close) but I did complete two religious awards: Parvuli Dei when I was a Cub and Ad Altare Dei when I was a boy scout (the first was easy, the second was fairly extensive).

- Josiah
      Last edited by Josiah; 10-15-2017 at 09:16 PM.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

JPPT1974 is offline Apprentice Member
      Single
      Mood:
      Hungry

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      57.07%
      Never been in the Girl Scouts. But heard that Eagle Scouting is not in the Girl Scouts. As that is one of the reasons why.
      Ready for October Skies!

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,594,090 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      81.37%
      If this is to happen I really hope the rules change from where they were some years ago in the UK. I knew a guy who was a Scout leader and they were talking about admitting girls back then, in about the mid 90s. The trouble was that having girls present meant they had to have female leaders. At that time if a single girl showed up but there was no female leader present the entire evening had to be disbanded. They weren't even allowed to send the one girl home.

The child protection rules were also getting out of hand back then. My friend wasn't allowed to be alone with only one Scout but at the end of the evening if there was only one Scout waiting to be collected by his parents there wasn't much he could do about it. His options were to either accept that he was alone with one Scout, or to go home himself and lock the young boy out in the cold to wait for his parents to turn up. If he was dropping the boys off at home after an evening it was inevitable that one of them would be the last to be dropped off, but apparently that wasn't allowed either.

Part of the reason he quit was that the child protection rules, while clearly having laudable aims, made it all but impossible to actually run the troop.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (140,102 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.12%
      The Girl Scouts do not have an "Eagle Award" but they do have their own sets of awards that girls can earn and work hard for it as well.
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

Josiah is online now Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      25.36%
      Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
      Never been in the Girl Scouts. But heard that Eagle Scouting is not in the Girl Scouts. As that is one of the reasons why.

As I understand it, yes - that IS one of the reasons. There is no other youth organization (scouting or otherwise) that has any award with the prestige of an Eagle Scout. I never attained that (not even close, lol) but I knew several that did. One friend of mine credited that in large part for why he was accepted to Dartmouth.

But MY hunch is most of this comes from sisters. When I was in Explorer Scouts (a program for high school youth that focuses primarily on hiking and camping) that was co-ed. And had been for decades. I only personally knew of two girls involved in it, but both were the sisters of very active Explorers and daughters of the Leader - they just loved hiking and wanted to do what their brother and dad did. Now my troop didn't have any girls in it and the Leader didn't bring his wife (some do) and girls would have been an issue (hey, we bathed together in the creek or lake, lol) but nothing that could not EASILY be modified because a sister is along.

As I understand it, Girl Scouts was begun almost immediately after the Boy Scouts but has NEVER remotely been its equal. And truth is, a lot of girls LIKE the stuff that the BSA does and when I was involved, I knew of girls who wanted to be involved in the lower levels and especially in the Eagle Scout program. IMO, that's fine..... AS LONG AS they keep the troops separate. One of the things guys like about the BOY Scouts is that it's a guy thing.... in a very (and increasingly) co-ed world, guys like to be with guys and doing "guy things" (whatever that is).... especially in the 9-12 year old age group where Scouting is concentrated. I think if the troops in that age group are made coed, it will significantly change the milieu of things - in a way that's not really needed since these days, nearly everything is coed. And of course the whole point of the BSA is to "build men."

Just my half cent....

- Josiah
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (140,102 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.12%
      What things did the girls like to do that they don't do in Girl Scouts, Josiah? Besides be with boys.

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      52.84%
      Why not? In Holland they have boy groups, girl groups and mixed groups.