Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That's the moniker the denomination gave for itself (and the legal moniker in every state and country in which it owns and operates parishes, which it calls Stakes). But the critical, ridiculing name OTHERS used for it was "Mormon." For YEARS, the LDS and its members fought against that name... but they've given up (Just as Lutherans, Protestants, Methodist, Baptists, Quakers and a bunch of others eventually gave up). Today, even LDS folks refer to themselves as Mormons, and we see the LDS even in advertisments saying "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the Mormons."

I didn't even think about them. Would the label " Pietist" also have come from an unfriendly sneer, or did that name just naturally apply?

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That's the moniker the denomination gave for itself (and the legal moniker in every state and country in which it owns and operates parishes, which it calls Stakes). But the critical, ridiculing name OTHERS used for it was "Mormon." For YEARS, the LDS and its members fought against that name... but they've given up (Just as Lutherans, Protestants, Methodist, Baptists, Quakers and a bunch of others eventually gave up). Today, even LDS folks refer to themselves as Mormons, and we see the LDS even in advertisments saying "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the Mormons."

Right, I was born and have lived most my life in Utah 'the Meca of Mormonism' and watched this and other transitions take place. You will occasionally find an 'older' member who will proudly pronounce to everyone "well I consider myself a Later Day Saint!" actually saying the name in full for emphasis instead of just its typical moniker of 'LDS'.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
You see Apostolic Succession in the word "christian". Remarkable. No one I know sees that in the word.
I'm trying to figure out how anyone accepts the idea that the term Christian came by God's direct ordination. The only angle I can see is the attempt to argue apostolic succession. Otherwise the argument seems incredibly weak.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm trying to figure out how anyone accepts the idea that the term Christian came by God's direct ordination. The only angle I can see is the attempt to argue apostolic succession. Otherwise the argument seems incredibly weak.

It is a matter of lexicography. The word means what it means. The word being χρηματίζω which means "To be divinely admonished, to be instructed by a divine communication" and that it is used with that sense in Mat 2:12; Luk 2:26; Act 10:22; Heb 8:5; Heb 11:7; Heb 12:25.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't even think about them. Would the label " Pietist" also have come from an unfriendly sneer, or did that name just naturally apply?
I cannot think of a denomination, a church body, that calls itself by that word, however. It appears to be a description of a general grouping of churches based upon a certain doctrinal slant, but not what the OP was talking about.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

The word "priest" in English has its roots in the Latin word Presbyter which comes from the Greek Presbuteros meaning "elder" and signifying in the church one who governs in a congregation leading by service. It never had a negative connotation until the time of Wycliffe and then again in the time of Henry VIII and his successors (Mary excepted). It became a pejorative in words like "priestcraft" in company with "popery" and many other English taunts aimed at Catholics.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Right, I was born and have lived most my life in Utah 'the Meca of Mormonism' and watched this and other transitions take place. You will occasionally find an 'older' member who will proudly pronounce to everyone "well I consider myself a Later Day Saint!" actually saying the name in full for emphasis instead of just its typical moniker of 'LDS'.
So my question, Tigger, is whether the church itself -- or members as a matter of routine -- call themselves Mormons instead of LDS or something else. I'm thinking that this one could be a close call as far as our mythical list of churches is concerned. As Josiah noted, the Utah Church will use the word Mormon in advertisements, etc. but I think that's a concession made so that non-Mormons whom they are trying to reach will recognize what organization is being talked about.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
It is a matter of lexicography. The word means what it means. The word being χρηματίζω which means "To be divinely admonished, to be instructed by a divine communication" and that it is used with that sense in Mat 2:12; Luk 2:26; Act 10:22; Heb 8:5; Heb 11:7; Heb 12:25.
One word outside of context can mean whatever someone wants it to mean. Context is important and in this context I do not see your copied and pasted opinion as being valid.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I cannot think of a denomination, a church body, that calls itself by that word, however. It appears to be a description of a general grouping of churches based upon a certain doctrinal slant, but not what the OP was talking about.

Good point, thanks.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The word "priest" in English has its roots in the Latin word Presbyter which comes from the Greek Presbuteros meaning "elder" and signifying in the church one who governs in a congregation leading by service. It never had a negative connotation until the time of Wycliffe and then again in the time of Henry VIII and his successors (Mary excepted). It became a pejorative in words like "priestcraft" in company with "popery" and many other English taunts aimed at Catholics.
It is not much of a pejorative, apparently, considering that the word priest is used for the officiants in the Church of England (the Anglican church) in all editions of the Book of Common Prayer, for example 1549, 1559, 1662 and on down to the ones used today.

The BCP is the equivalent of the Catholic Altar Missal.

Priestcraft is, however, another matter and refers to something that is wrong, quite apart from whether or not the church uses the word priest for its clergy

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Sorry friend CL. I misread pietist as priest.

Not at all, MC. It is an easy word to misread. :) I think I've cashed all possibilities of names that originated as offensive slurs. I could probably say " Puritan," but we know them as Congregationalists today. :)

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Even a name like "Oakland Catholic Church" would be interpreted by most people as a Catholic Church but not as an Anglican one.

Depending on which "Oakland" you were talking about. If it were Oakland, California, it may have well been misappropriated by a few enterprising Pentecostals.

Top Bottom