... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Yes! Do not, by any means, partake of the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper without knowing about the policy not only of the church you visit, but also the policy of your own church in that situation! Do not interrupt the minister/ priest during his homily/ sermon and do nothing to draw unfavorable attention to yourself.

This is another situation where I feel the need to ask what the policy of a particular church has to do with anything, other than turning worshippers into first class and second class attendees. Jesus said "do this in remembrance of me". I don't recall Jesus saying anything about doing it but only if you've been cleared by the priest to partake. Whether or not I am partaking in a worthy manner is my responsibility - to create a situation where I need to ask the permission of the priest before doing what Jesus commanded does nothing other than create an artificial barrier between regulars and visitors.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have basically agreed with you on all of this, but it isn't really on point to go immediately to hypotheticals. Yes, churches ought to have a community outreach. Yes, all people should be welcomed to church. But that isn't the issue in this thread.

If we return to the question (What not to do in church?), it is quite reasonable to reply that one SHOULD try to be respectful when showing up, and that includes dress. If that occasional, exceptional, person who simply cannot afford anything but the one pair of pants he owns--or has some mental problems--walks through the door, then of course he should be admitted. And almost every church would do so. But that isn't the question here.

The thing is that any hypothetical situation may, one day, become a real situation. If the down-and-out decides to come to church are you prepared for him? If he walks through the door having heard something about God and wanting to know more, is he going to come back or is he going to feel judged and belittled? Because if he leaves feeling belittled the chances are his next stop is going to be a mosque, a Hare Krishna temple, a Jehovah's Witness kingdom hall or some such.

If anybody leaves a church feeling they aren't good enough to be a Christian the church has failed catastrophically and needs to seriously rethink their message.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Have you ever really talked to someone in deep depression who thinks they are worthless? A drug addict whose every cent goes to the habit, an alcoholic the same way? A prostitute that sees no way out? This is what ios walking the streets of every town and these are the ones who need the love of Christ manifested by the church, if they cant feel the love then they wont be reached. To many churchs stay within their walls and condemn the very ones they should be reaching and then wonder why people dont come. It isbnt the christians that we should be tryiong to reach or the others in the church but rather these people. It isnt pretty, its messy, it requires a commitment of time money and emotion but in the end it is worth every second. What they diont need is to be judged and put down.
Thats exactly why I love my church, in my home town if someone arrived late to the Catholic church, the priest would literally tell them to leave over the mic. Hopefully they arent all like that, but this church that I go to people literally wonder in with a friend and transform their lives in front of our eyes, these are the poor, drug addicts and prostitutes that come in unclean and leave clean and return in full on glory, the common congregationals of the church are mediators in the Spirit and we must remember that through us by the word of God and through the atonement of Jesus Christ salvation is delivered unto repentance. A truly amazing age we live in.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Uh, guys. Hello. What you are concerned about might be good for its own thread. THIS ONE is about what YOU shouldn't do in church, not other people. And if you watched the video, you can see that this thread was meant as a lighthearted exercise. That's what I thought, anyway.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I thought unless you were a part of the parish of a Catholic church you weren't allowed to participate anyway. .

Josiah is not a Catholic in communion with the Catholic Church. I think he's a Lutheran. I imagine his denomination practices "closed communion".

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thats exactly why I love my church, in my home town if someone arrived late to the Catholic church, the priest would literally tell them to leave over the mic. Hopefully they arent all like that, but this church that I go to people literally wonder in with a friend and transform their lives in front of our eyes, these are the poor, drug addicts and prostitutes that come in unclean and leave clean and return in full on glory, the common congregationals of the church are mediators in the Spirit and we must remember that through us by the word of God and through the atonement of Jesus Christ salvation is delivered unto repentance. A truly amazing age we live in.

I have visited numerous Catholic churches and have never had a priest tell someone to leave. Even priests understand that there are circumstances why people might be late arriving. Now the ones who might get dirty looks are the ones who leave immediately after communion or during the last hymn so they can get out of the parking lot quickly.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Uh, guys. Hello. What you are concerned about might be good for its own thread. THIS ONE is about what YOU shouldn't do in church, not other people. And if you watched the video, you can see that this thread was meant as a lighthearted exercise. That's what I thought, anyway.
Ok well you shouldnt allow a priest or preacher or anyone to tell me to leave the church, that is rude and is something one should never do in church. :)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have visited numerous Catholic churches and have never had a priest tell someone to leave. Even priests understand that there are circumstances why people might be late arriving. Now the ones who might get dirty looks are the ones who leave immediately after communion or during the last hymn so they can get out of the parking lot quickly.

It is a little bit rude to arrive (regularly) just before communion and after the Liturgy of the word. It would be justifiable to refuse communion to such a late arrival but I haven't seen that happen. Our parish priest is rather kind to late comers.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
lol thanks for vouching for other Catholic churches, but yes this was the case in my small town Catholic church, I am thankful none other had to experience that. This church also eyes minorities or people who are poorly underdressed because they are "poor". These are things that should have never happened at church im just using past experience.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have visited numerous Catholic churches and have never had a priest tell someone to leave. .
I agree. That story didn't 'ring true' when I read it either.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah is not a Catholic in communion with the Catholic Church. I think he's a Lutheran. I imagine his denomination practices "closed communion".
But he, like me, was a Roman Catholic for more years than you've been one. I can assure anyone who is wondering...we didn't forget everything we had learned the minute we walked out the door. :nono:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
But he, like me, was a Roman Catholic for more years than you've been one. I can assure anyone who is wondering...we didn't forget everything we had learned the minute we walked out the door. :nono:

Really?

:smirk:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I agree. That story didn't right true when I read it either.
Well let this be an example is all. I live in the south so maybe its a southern thing, but if you presume that im lying in defense of my church let me tell you another. You shouldn't damn other peoples faith, as it was in my church once, the preacher made some great points but totally missed the fact that we (The church as whole) have our own drawing in techniques for a Holy reason, we draw in certain peoples to the word of God but church bashing is never tolerated in my eyes, we have been through hell together but came out pretty peaceful considering we are bound by the word alone for there are no Apostles left and no Christ in person to correct us until the times comes. But the word of truth is light enough I just cant stomach diversity in a "hateful" form, even the 12 disciples argued and asked questions but we believers are still his church.
So just to be fair I am not defending anything I am merely pointing out.
Maybe we should have an old fashion pow wow roast of other denominations just so we know our straight up inconsistencies we have for a better purpose, sounds a little radical but come on this is just a forum. Seems to be MUCH pent up aggression towards each other obviously, "cant we all just get along?"

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well let this be an example is all. I live in the south so maybe its a southern thing, but if you presume that im lying in defense of my church let me tell you another. You shouldn't damn other peoples faith, as it was in my church once, the preacher made some great points but totally missed the fact that we (The church as whole) have our own drawing in techniques for a Holy reason, we draw in certain peoples to the word of God but church bashing is never tolerated in my eyes, we have been through hell together but came out pretty peaceful considering we are bound by the word alone for there are no Apostles left and no Christ in person to correct us until the times comes. But the word of truth is light enough I just cant stomach diversity in a "hateful" form, even the 12 disciples argued and asked questions but we believers are still his church.
So just to be fair I am not defending anything I am merely pointing out.
Maybe we should have an old fashion pow wow roast of other denominations just so we know our straight up inconsistencies we have for a better purpose, sounds a little radical but come one this is just a forum. Seems to be MUCH pent up aggression towards each other obviously, "cant we all just get along?"

Well, it seems that SOMEBODY has a lot of pent up resentments! Wow.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Well, it seems that SOMEBODY has a lot of pent up resentments! Wow.
Maybe a little, dont you?
Sorry that I get "emotion" and claim to speak the biblical tongues but I see you have no problem with that. [emoji18]

Last edited:

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Really?

:smirk:

Really. Leaving the Catholic Church doesn't give us amnesia ( in my case, that amnesia would go back eighteen years!) and we do retain certain things. :)

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Really. Leaving the Catholic Church doesn't give us amnesia ( in my case, that amnesia would go back eighteen years!) and we do retain certain things. :)

My question was asking if Albion has some reason to claim he was a Catholic longer than I have been a Catholic. Memory is not the issue.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
My question was asking if Albion has some reason to claim he was a Catholic longer than I have been a Catholic. Memory is not the issue.

Oh, my bad, man. Sorry. Okay, that's something else one shouldn't do in an unfamiliar church setting: don't automatically assume that a private conversation is open to public response.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Oh, my bad, man. Sorry. Okay, that's something else one shouldn't do in an unfamiliar church setting: don't automatically assume that a private conversation is open to public response.

You are welcome to respond. I did not criticise that but I did want to set the topic straight :)

Top Bottom