Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Jk, but I would like to hear some of your interpretations, parables or understanding of this specific passage about Peters trance...

On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Acts 10:9-16

YESLORDIWILL

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Married
I find it interesting that Peter was so shocked when this happened. It seems the whole time Jesus walked with him, he never straightly told Peter that this was okay.

As for interpretations and understanding, Peter says in verse 28; Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any MAN common or unclean.

So did Peter, after the vision, believe that he was able to eat unclean animals or only that he was able to go into the house of a gentile, which before that day hadn't happened?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
A spaceship lowered the sheet with animals in it. It was their version of a transporter like in star trek. The animals were being returned from one of their zoos I think

:smirk:

YESLORDIWILL

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Married
and here's the alien they found in the spaceship, it's real...authentic

83234783.jpg

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Lord was teaching Peter that the animals that he thought were unclean were not, in preparation for teaching Peter that some of the people he thought were unclean and unreachable were not. Immediately after this he goes to Cornelius' house who was a Gentile and sees God bestow on them the Holy Spirit. We don't realize what a radical idea it was that the Gentiles could be a part of the family of God also.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The Lord was teaching Peter that the animals that he thought were unclean were not, in preparation for teaching Peter that some of the people he thought were unclean and unreachable were not. Immediately after this he goes to Cornelius' house who was a Gentile and sees God bestow on them the Holy Spirit. We don't realize what a radical idea it was that the Gentiles could be a part of the family of God also.
Thanks, I first figure it had something to do with the old laws of eating unclean animals and God was reminding him that he had blessed them as he did all humans or something along those lines. I always skimmed over that part without pondering on it to much. Thanks for the help

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
With the exception of pterodactyls and the like, dinos would have needed the help of flying saucers to saur.

==============================================================================================

On a more serious note:

YESLORDIWILL in Post #2:
I find it interesting that Peter was so shocked when this happened. It seems the whole time Jesus walked with him, he never straightly told Peter that this was okay.

Jesus didn’t. Because it wasn’t.

Isaiah 52:11 Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing...
Numbers 16:26: And he spake unto the congregation, saying, Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins.
Gentiles were considered wicked and unclean because they worshipped false gods.
Numbers 19:22 And whatsoever the unclean person toucheth shall be unclean; and the soul that toucheth it shall be unclean until even. [A Gentile's house was thus considered unclean.]

Ever since the Babylonian captivity, Gentiles had been considered particularly unclean, and contact with them was to be avoided. Even the bonds of matrimony between a Jew and a Gentile had to be dissolved.
Please look at Ezra 10:1-19 ; Ezra 10:44 , Nehemiah 9:1-2 ; Nehemiah 10:28 , for an understanding of the religious environment in which Jesus and His disciples lived.

==============================================================================================

For the first 3 ½ years or so after Jesus’ death, the Gospel was preached exclusively to Jews. God had not yet revealed His theretofore veiled secret that the benefits of Jesus’ death were to be offered to the Gentiles as well. As far as Christian Jews knew, the restrictions placed upon the Jewish nation by God were still to be obeyed. They actually were still in force when Jesus walked the Earth.

The unveiling of that totally unexpected part of God’s plan, commenced with Peter’s unsettling trance. The full significance was well expressed by Paul in Galatians 3:28: There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. When a Jew became a Christian, he or she was freed from their former obligations – they were no longer a Covenant Jew in God's eyes.

I find it continually unsettling how the “whole counsel of God” is assiduously avoided by the churches of Christendom. Selected subsets of Holy Scripture are employed to bolster denominational security, totally ignoring what the Apostle Paul, the Apostle specially selected by the Risen Saviour, stated under direct inspiration in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 [emphasis added]:

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

In the shallowness of their teaching, denominations protect themselves from knowledge they consider bothersome.

(I don't understand why the Scripture references are not highlighting as blue, and selectable. Can anyone help?)

Last edited:

Asuk

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Is it alright to eat the aliens?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Asuk in Post #8:
Is it alright to eat the aliens?

It depends on your taste, I suppose.

God’s revealed dietary restrictions were for people bound by the Sinaitic Covenant, and for the pre-Flood faithful.

I’m not that adventurous, wasabi and other condiments notwithstanding.

If they were gelatinous, they’d slide down well, but.

Top Bottom