Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Can I agree that trinity is unity? Of course, but when I say that its heresy why? They are one.

I am sure that you want More Coffee's answer and that it will be forthcoming. In the meanwhile, here's mine. You said, without any hesitation, I assume, that three are one. How can three BE one? How can three--identified as three in Scripture--BE but one--which is also clearly stated in the Bible. There is one God but the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are identified as God and as not being the other one(s).

To go on insisting that it doesn't matter, that you want to think about something else, that the three are just names, etc. is to 'blow off' or refuse the Bible, which teaches us about the nature of God and is divine revelation. So we must assume that there was some reason why God revealed this information to mankind. To deny it is to be a heretic, sure. It is to de facto believe in another god. To say you don't understand it is not heresy, but that's not what I have been reading here.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I am sure that you want More Coffee's answer and that it will be forthcoming. In the meanwhile, here's mine. You said, without any hesitation, I assume, that three are one. How can three BE one? How can three--identified as three in Scripture--BE but one--which is also clearly stated in the Bible. There is one God but the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are identified as God and as not being the other one(s).
of
To go on insisting that it doesn't matter, that you want to think about something else, that the three are just names, etc. is to 'blow off' of refuse the Bible, which teaches us about the nature of God and is divine revelation. So we must assume that there was some reason why God revealed this information to mankind. To deny it is to be a heretic, sure. To say you don't understand it is not heresy, but that's not what I have been reading here.
No there is no reason for God to all of a sudden in the third century to say "yay behold I shew you a mystery, I am three peoples"

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No there is no reason for God to all of a sudden in the third century to say "yay behold I shew you a mystery, I am three peoples"

Well, of course he did not do that...so it doesn't mean anything if you say it. Read again what I wrote before. It is not some flippant joking around with numbers or saying that some jerk evangelist came up with his own conspiracy theory about Church history so it must be true.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Well, of course he did not do that so it doesn't mean anything if you say it.
Why would this be a divine revelation, that God reveled his trinity? It was man who made up the trinity to win converts under eternal damnation according to the creed.
This is why I dont think its from God, it is still in the creed that if you accept this you accept the Church or you will go to hell, if you dont accept the trinity you are a heretic. Thats not Godly
The only reason we first accepted trinity is because we had to under force not because God revealed it

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There is no difference between a Pope or murderer or any man for that matter, we all fall short of the glory of God and are called to repent. I've seen some quotes from the Pope that is direct heresy but I cant condemn them just as much as they can condemn me, they have no right for man is in error and anything man made will have mad man error in it.

The pope is not our topic. So I'll pass on that for now. But if you worry about men judging you on the basis of the doctrines that you teach and the things that you say then you ought to worry because the scriptures advise you to. These passages teach that men do in fact exercise judgement in matters of words and conduct. What you teach matters and may well have eternal consequences. That is not a threat. It is a witness to what Jesus said and what the holy scriptures teach.
When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you.' After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.' When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.' John 20:19-23

'Pray then in this way:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one.​
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:9-15

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, 'Who do people say that the Son of Man is?' And they said, 'Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.' He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?' Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.' Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah. Matthew 16:13-20

'If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax-collector. Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.' Matthew 18:15-20

For the sake of when I go into a Catholic church I will make the sign of the cross and pray In the name of the Father Son and Holy spirit because its not "names" its a singular "name". I just dont follow the man made creeds because it states that any person out side the Catholic church is condemned to Eternal hell, that is scare tactics and not the word of God.

The Creeds state that anybody who denies the truth taught in the creeds is in danger of hell and that is true. Any one who hears the truth and rejects it rejects the one who taught it and when their teaching is the teaching of Christ rejecting it means rejecting Christ. That is what Jesus said when he sent his disciples out to preach.
'Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the deeds of power done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. But at the judgement it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you will be brought down to Hades. 'Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.' Luke 10:13-16
The creeds say nothing about joining the Catholic Church (though I most heartily recommend that course of action to you). The words in the creeds are about what one believes and confesses and teaches. If you teach error and reject the truth then you are in danger and the creeds are right to inform you of that danger so that you can avoid it by believing what is true.

Can I agree that trinity is unity? Of course, but when I say that its heresy why? They are one. Would you say that for my sake of peace of mind that I should accept the trinity? Because I will adopt it but outside the creed, is a protestant who accept the trinity an imposter because he is not a Catholic? Answer me that and I will reconsider the trinity as mans "description" of how we could explain God.

When you say that "they are one" you use language very poorly because "they" can be one only in agreement and one in purpose and so forth but never one in person because "they" means several persons. It is wrong to use "they" as you have when writing about the persons of the Blessed Trinity. The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit are one but not only in a kind of union of purpose and thinking and so forth. The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit are one in being, one in power, one in every attribute that belongs to God because there is in truth only one God and he is God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit and the Father is not the Son, nor is the Son the Holy Spirit, nor is the Holy Spirit the Father. There is one person of the Father and another person of the Son and another person of the Holy Spirit. You have read the Athanasian Creed I think because I posted it for you before so I will not post it again here. The doctrine taught in it is easy to read and easy to understand even though it is difficult to grasp the words are not difficult it is the concepts that are hard and likely to stump a person who wants to know by experience or analogy or visually how these things can be so.

I will still call on God singular when I praise but I wont argue with trinitarians about that, is that fair?

No one can control what you think and no one wants to. Our purpose is to urge you to consider the truth and accept it if you want to. And to say that the UPCI teaches errors that endanger all who accept them.

In other words when someone asks me "do you believe in the trinity?" I can say "I believe whether Trinity or Singular they are God"
Although I would rather say yay yay or nah nah...

I wish you would say, and mean it, that you believe what the creeds teach because what the creeds teach is what Jesus teaches and what the holy scriptures teach.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Why would this be a divine revelation, that God reveled his trinity?
Why not? The whole of the Bible is instruction, and for us to know at least the generalities of the nature of God is undeniably important if only because we have to know how the ONE God whom the chosen people of God, the Jews, had believed in would send a Savior to bring the kingdom to reality could be God in the flesh. That takes some explanation, I'd think.

It was man who made up the trinity

That's nonsense, even though you've said it several times. It's all in the Bible except for that word. There was a dispute about the nature of God in the third century--was he an angel from God, just a man like a prophet, or God in the flesh? The Nicaean Council met to clear the air. All this conspiracy theory stuff you've picked up somewhere is a fiction, but of course any church or cult that teaches Unitarianism is going to have to spin history somehow in order to make its own people believe.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Why would this be a divine revelation, that God reveled his trinity? It was man who made up the trinity to win converts under eternal damnation according to the creed.
This is why I dont think its from God, it is still in the creed that if you accept this you accept the Church or you will go to hell, if you dont accept the trinity you are a heretic. Thats not Godly
The only reason we first accepted trinity is because we had to under force not because God revealed it

1. I think the Trinity IS - very clearly - in the Bible, although I admit the WORD (which means "Three-yet-one") is not. The doctrine affirms and proclaims what the Bible does: The Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God..... Each has divine attributes, acts as God, and is called "God" .... yet there are not 3 Gods but one. I think that's EXACTLY what the Bible proclaims as we take together all that Scrpture says about God. The beautiful and magnificence of this doctrine is that it says what the Bible stays and stops, it accepts all this as MYSTERY without any attempt to subject it to theories, philosophy, science or anything else; no attempt to subject one teaching to another. IMO, to accept any other view is to outright ignore some of what Scripture states.

2. It is true that the Athanasian Creed says we must believe this to be saved, but this is often misunderstood. This must be seen in the context of early Medieval thought when this Creed reached the (general) wording we know it by today. It was simply accepted that those with faith, those who were justifiied, those who are the Children of God and Heaven bound, thus teach correctly. That's it. That's all. This part of the Creed (looking at it historically) is only saying that Christians believe this (and Christians of course are saved). I would agree that in the Middle Ages (and really before and after that), there has - at times - been too strong a link/connection between what one articulates as dogma and what one trusts for justificiation. I'd not link them quite as closely as some Christians have and often still do. But that's not really the point in the Creed: Only that those saved believe this. You might disagree, of course - but that's really quite irrelevant to the teaching of the Trinity.

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Fair enough, if this was the outcome of medieval mass confusion as I have read, then I cannot reject it just because a few medieval jerks started going around burning people . I know that Trinity does not mean 3 gods, some churches insist that the Catholic church preaches 3 gods which IS polytheism though we praise the monotheistic God of Abraham, but so I hate to use a muslim argument that "they worship 3 gods and not the one true God"... I always saw Peter as the spokesperson on behalf of everyone there and not just Peter who will head the Church as its pope. Lets not discuss the papacy its beside the point.
If confusion was solved by accepting Trinity then for the sake of backsliding into that scene I will praise God how I wish, and because I accept the Son I accept his Father and yes of course the Holy Spirit I believe that they are one in unison, 3 parts if you will, 1 x three or whatever, in other words I worship your God and you worship mine because we worship the same God, I dont mind referring to him as trinity if asked, I know who I am praying to, yet I will not argue this or that way in any church or forum, rather I will honor God by respecting the common understanding of Trinity regardless of history. Phewww..
I wish no longer to discuss this for it leads to confusion but there you have it, we worship the same God.

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Problem
1b53b36c27ec912deebcc8e1df26ed34.jpg

Solution
005d3c949b517a7f6dd543c28778aa72.jpg

I'll take that

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Problem
005d3c949b517a7f6dd543c28778aa72.jpg

I'll take that
Looks like todays version of the shamrock that St. Patrick used.

Its certainly a better representation of God than a single circle with the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all written together on it. :wink:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Just a few verses that point toward God as one being in three persons.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-the-trinity/

While creeds can be helpful, unless they are given by God in the Bible, they cannot be considered infallible. What Rome has created is only of value if it agrees with scripture. That which is added to promote Rome as the only church is of no value. Thus we can accept the parts of the creeds that are biblical and reject the parts of the creeds that are self-serving comments regarding the church at Rome.

It is much better to let scripture speak for itself. In this regard we can see that the scriptures show God as one being and three equal and unified persons.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
God is omnipresent so like I said, it doesnt really matter [emoji14]

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Fidget spinners for God?

No, a "Trinity for dummies" lesson. I would have understood that. My youth leader tried with the weird triangle diagram thing-y. We were all confused when she was done.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No, a "Trinity for dummies" lesson. I would have understood that. My youth leader tried with the weird triangle diagram thing-y. We were all confused when she was done.

I think that the Athanasian Creed is easy to understand.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I think that the Athanasian Creed is easy to understand.

I agree. I don't recall that we discussed the creeds often, if at all. It would have been much more efficient - and central to the denomination (Presbyterian at the time)

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

LOL not a trinity but a triangle.
I like all those texts. I'm now showing a Jehovas witness from his own falsely translated Bible that there are 2 Jehovas in the O.T. w Abraham. One Jehovah asks fire from the Jehovah in heaven. I got inspired by that muslim who found Jesus in the Quran. You just can't take the power out of Gods Word no matter how much you try to alter it. JWs forgot to change some texts LOL.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes