Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Part of my tongue was removed to eliminate cancer. I can have foods that are soft and lumpy. Meats have to be fine and not dry.

I can't have rice, toast (although I can have bread in slurries), stringy veggies, nuts, fruits/veggies with skins.

I've been having mashed potatoes and meatloaf type foods and my first meal in the hospital after not eating for a week was lasagna :D What ideas can you come up for me for new foods?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Part of my tongue was removed to eliminate cancer. I can have foods that are soft and lumpy. Meats have to be fine and not dry.

I can't have rice, toast (although I can have bread in slurries), stringy veggies, nuts, fruits/veggies with skins.

I've been having mashed potatoes and meatloaf type foods and my first meal in the hospital after not eating for a week was lasagna :D What ideas can you come up for me for new foods?
Fish which is flaky, crab

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Ice Cream. The health food of a nation :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Fish which is flaky, crab

I'm not much of a fish eater but right now it sounds yummy. It's actually a great idea for when my husband and I go out to eat since I'll know the texture ahead of time. Thanks!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

Many fruits and veggies become "soft and lumpy" when put into a blender. That's one way you can keep up your nutrition without having to chew.

The same can be said for certain seeds and legumes that have been soaked. Some of the latter will need to be cooked though before mashing in a blender.

I recently had a strawberry desert that fit what you require. It was very soft and slurry-like. The recipe is simple: Add strawberries to a blender with desired amount of water to make a watery strawberry drink. Add desired amount of honey for sweetness and blend. After it has blended (make sure this step is after, not before) - then add chia seeds to mixture - a relatively small handful for a medium sized drink. Mix (but do not blend with a blade). Put in fridge. Strawberry yummyness with jello-like consistency (depends on how many chia seeds you add) will be ready in about 4 hours time.

Chia seeds are extremely high in Omega 3. :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can't have anything with seeds because I can't use my tongue to move them around in my mouth at all. I have numbness on part of the tongue so I don't know if anything gets stuck there for now. The numbness might go away or I might be having it forever.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I can't have anything with seeds because I can't use my tongue to move them around in my mouth at all. I have numbness on part of the tongue so I don't know if anything gets stuck there for now. The numbness might go away or I might be having it forever.

I can see you've never had chia in water. Properly soaked, the seed loses all hardness and is completely surrounded by the gel it emits. It becomes like a watery jello (like a slurry) - so it suits your requirements. Buy a small amount and put it in water for around 4 hours, and you will see.

Also - if you can have ground beef and fish (both of which can get "stuck") - you can also have properly soaked seeds and legumes (even if cooking is required after soaking for either to increase softness) and vegetables/fruits that have been turned into mush with blending.

But that is completely up to you.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Can you have mashed sweet potato? If you have some peas with mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potato then you'll have some lumps in with the mash.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can see you've never had chia in water. Properly soaked, the seed loses all hardness and is completely surrounded by the gel it emits. It becomes like a watery jello (like a slurry) - so it suits your requirements. Buy a small amount and put it in water for around 4 hours, and you will see.

Also - if you can have ground beef and fish (both of which can get "stuck") - you can also have properly soaked seeds and legumes (even if cooking is required after soaking for either to increase softness) and vegetables/fruits that have been turned into mush with blending.

But that is completely up to you.

I was specifically told to not have any seeds or fruits/veggies with skins, even if blended. There must be a reason on their part to add that in there.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Can you have mashed sweet potato? If you have some peas with mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potato then you'll have some lumps in with the mash.

I like sweet potatoes!

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I was specifically told to not have any seeds or fruits/veggies with skins, even if blended. There must be a reason on their part to add that in there.

I can have foods that are soft and lumpy.

Check with the hospital but it seems obvious to me that "soft and/or lumpy" is a requirement because of your recent surgery and the need to not place undue stress on your tongue while it heals - and not because of things getting stuck (which, by the way - for starches and plants your saliva is going to break down anyway - but human saliva doesn't break down animal flesh, be it cow, fish or chicken - so if IT gets stuck somewhere - it'll rot till it finds stomach acid ;) )

Peels of fruits are often neither "soft" nor "lumpy" - so can you have an orange *without* the peel? That is how most people have them, anyway.

Seeds, nuts, legumes are also not soft/lumpy - even soaked - but can be brought to that condition after soaking and then cooked. Chia, however, is different. Soaked just a few hours, it is about as soft and lumpy that a seed can get.

I would ask specifically for the reason and how long you must refrain. 99% sure it'll be until your tongue heals and no other reason.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

My wife sometimes makes a dish that's basically thinly sliced dried beef cooked in a white source. She usually serves it on toast but I guess that wouldn't work for you. The end result is pretty smooth and the meat ends up quite tender.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
You could probably have any minced meat, moistened with it's juices or gravy. Thanksgiving is coming up. You could have minced turkey with gravy, sweet potatoes, soft-boiled carrots in nutmeg sauce, and for dessert you could have pumpkin pie or baked apples with brown sugar butter and cinnamon. And the salad - you could make a veggie salad in a jello mold (this is how our parents used to get us kids to eat salad when we were young - shred the vegetables and load them into the mold).

You could probably have pretty much anything (without skins) if you mince it.

I sure hope the feeling comes back to your tongue.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
All good suggestions, thanks!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
All good suggestions, thanks!

Hummus is good. You could make Falafel too, though that may be more solid than you'd be happy with.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I love both hummus and falafel. Not sure what I can eat with the hummus since I can't have hard veggies or crumbly crackers.

I stole a piece of my husband's cheese pizza yesterday ;) Shhh. I had no problems eating it!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I love both hummus and falafel. Not sure what I can eat with the hummus since I can't have hard veggies or crumbly crackers.

I stole a piece of my husband's cheese pizza yesterday ;) Shhh. I had no problems eating it!

Hummus is tasty by itself :)

Top Bottom