Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There are some television-only "churches" in existence. Their members "attend" by watching the broadcast.
which raises the question of how to plug this fact into our discussion. Is such "attendance" part of new way of attending, in which case attendance wouldn't be down as much as is usually thought? Or is it not real attendance at all but more like a substitute for attendance?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
People moving away from attending meetings and replacing it with "attending" a video broadcast is part of what accounts for some decline in meeting attendance. "House churches" accounts for some of it too. And the increasing movement towards being "spiritual" but not "religious" also accounts for some. The largest contributor to the decline is probably loss of Christian faith and failing to instill it in the next generation.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
which raises the question of how to plug this fact into our discussion. Is such "attendance" part of new way of attending, in which case attendance wouldn't be down as much as is usually thought? Or is it not real attendance at all but more like a substitute for attendance?

We have an online service that streams live and then you can also watch it during the week. Our executive pastor told us last week that over 500 people watch the service online every week, which is more that one of our other sites where you go in person that has over 300 people. All total we have three different sites throughout the area that are a part of our church. I have no idea if they are counting online viewing or not in this statistics.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, that sounds impressive to me; and I have no concern at all about outreach that takes this form or, for that matter, if congregants who do attend church regularly supplement their worship life with a televised show of any sort. And of course people who cannot get to church because of work schedules or illness are much benefitted by the kind of programming you are describing.

The issue in this thread is, I think, only whether or not watching religious television is being made by some other people into an excuse for not attending worship services in person.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think websites like this can be abused in that way, too.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Your post verifies what I thought was the case. There is no need to attend meetings when one's faith tradition has symbolic meaning for sacraments and nothing more.
Not so, scripture also tells us to not forsake the gathering together and many other scriptures as well as the Old Testament point to gathering together, I was merely pointing out that if you wished to do communion at home in addition then it is permissible

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The idea of self-communion aside, it definitely is the case that denominations which do not believe in the Real Presence and do not offer communion every Sunday can point to other Biblical reasons why attending regular church services is beneficial. It's not the case, therefore, that these people have no 'need' of church attendance (while Catholics, per MC, supposedly do, thanks to their belief in the importance of Holy Communion).

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO....

I think we're ALL (in various ways) noting how radically our culture has changed..... Technology has been a big part of that (cars/transportation, communications, etc.). We simply "gather" in different ways, we define community differently. Add to that an every increasing radicalization of the idea of the individual (which SADLY has engulfed also Christianity) - and we have a whole new milieu. I'm not sure what we can - or should - do about that. And it's all happened and happening so fast....

IMO, we may have a "handle" on something our culture still holds to: the value of support. AA, weight watchers, even my fitness group - they are all based on the idea of supporting and helping each other. I think that's ONE aspect of the church - a community that embraces and supports, that teaches and corrects and holds accountable. Of course, culture increasingly rejects that this has to be "in person" (witness the "community" here!). Related, is I think my generation still embraces the idea of family. Marriage is down and divorce is high - but as an IDEAL anyway, my generation still embraces this as an ideal. This is another concept of the church - as family. In fact, it's a very ancient and biblical one (think the whole bride:Bridegroom thing, the brother/sister thing). We may have some handles.....

God forgive us.
God move us.

- Josiah

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Not so, scripture also tells us to not forsake the gathering together and many other scriptures as well as the Old Testament point to gathering together, I was merely pointing out that if you wished to do communion at home in addition then it is permissible

Evidently some think that gathering at home or watching a video is their way of complying with the verse in Hebrews 10.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:
IMO....

I think we're ALL (in various ways) noting how radically our culture has changed..... Technology has been a big part of that (cars/transportation, communications, etc.). We simply "gather" in different ways, we define community differently. Add to that an every increasing radicalization of the idea of the individual (which SADLY has engulfed also Christianity) - and we have a whole new milieu. I'm not sure what we can - or should - do about that. And it's all happened and happening so fast....

IMO, we may have a "handle" on something our culture still holds to: the value of support. AA, weight watchers, even my fitness group - they are all based on the idea of supporting and helping each other. I think that's ONE aspect of the church - a community that embraces and supports, that teaches and corrects and holds accountable. Of course, culture increasingly rejects that this has to be "in person" (witness the "community" here!). Related, is I think my generation still embraces the idea of family. Marriage is down and divorce is high - but as an IDEAL anyway, my generation still embraces this as an ideal. This is another concept of the church - as family. In fact, it's a very ancient and biblical one (think the whole bride:Bridegroom thing, the brother/sister thing). We may have some handles.....

God forgive us.
God move us.

Evidently some think that gathering at home or watching a video is their way of complying with the verse in Hebrews 10.

I wonder if that's not PART of the issue here.....

There was a day when "gather/assemble" meant PHYSICALLY, at some physical PLACE. That's how you are understanding that (me, too). Probably a small group of people (who live in a given locale and can't travel very far) in some mutually agreed upon and traditional spot. But that's not the culture in which the church now finds itself. Witness CH. Would most of the regulars here see coming here as "coming together" with other regulars? Witness our prayers and concerns or Lamm (whom none of us have physically met, most don't even know her real first name and fewer still her last name). CH is the "coming together" and in a sense, a family. That's new. It may be bad.... it may be good..... but it is what is. At least at this moment in an ever VERY RAPIDLY changing culture. I think we're all playing catch up..... all a bit bewildered..... everything seems in flux...... IMO, it's just part of the challenge the church faces right now.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if that's not PART of the issue here.....

There was a day when "gather/assemble" meant PHYSICALLY, at some physical PLACE. That's how you are understanding that (me, too). Probably a small group of people (who live in a given locale and can't travel very far) in some mutually agreed upon and traditional spot. But that's not the culture in which the church now finds itself. Witness CH. Would most of the regulars here see coming here as "coming together" with other regulars? Witness our prayers and concerns or Lamm (whom none of us have physically met, most don't even know her real first name and fewer still her last name). CH is the "coming together" and in a sense, a family. That's new. It may be bad.... it may be good..... but it is what is. At least at this moment in an ever VERY RAPIDLY changing culture. I think we're all playing catch up..... all a bit bewildered..... everything seems in flux...... IMO, it's just part of the challenge the church faces right now.
I agree that we are like family to each other for the most part but it does not and never will take the place of church and real life people, at least not for me

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I agree that we are like family to each other for the most part but it does not and never will take the place of church and real life people, at least not for me

Nor for me. CH is a kind of live entertainment. The people matter but the "gathering" is asynchronous. I type a post and it does not matter if I see an answer within a hour or a day. In face to face conversation it would be rude to ignore a comment from an acquaintance or a friend if you heard it.

Top Bottom