Artificial intelligence a fearful development?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
For a long time now people have speculated about what it would mean for humanity if we built artificially intelligent robots or weapons or something else. Does the possibility of artificial intelligence frighten you?

seekingsolace

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not really. I suppose the greatest comfort is knowing God is always in control. If I was not a believer then it would be concerning; but no more than mass epidemics, nuclear war, cataclysmic events etc.

You see some disturbing proposed uses for these AI robots mind. There are many dubious industries that will profit from marketing them.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Only from the standpoint of Revelation and what they might be used for

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's a bit frightening to know that transhumanism is a goal that many believe is just bound to happen. The human body is so amazing why would we want to replace it?
People wish to live longer and to gain artificial strengths, doing this will sever all ability to feel human emotions, seems pretty grim to me.
This is a really good documentary from an australian pod caster about transhumanism/further technology... Starts at 4:30
https://youtu.be/28VzkE-ZLVQ

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My sister has a Ph.D. in biology and works full time as a researcher.

Although her field is entirely unrelated to this, she has commented that as the 20th Century was dominated by physics and technology, the 21st in her opinion will be all about the fusion of biology and technology.... the line between machine and life blurred... As we SHOULD have dealt with the morality of things like the nuclear bomb and germ warfare in the last century, the whole morality of life will be up in the air in this century.

Scared?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm not so sure that biology and technology (meaning electronics and computer chippery) will be doing a lot of merging but I am fairly sure than machine learning and some kinds of "AI" will progressively make human knowledge and human genius less and less significant as machine bruit force processing of gargantuan quantities of data replaces human wisdom with machine cleverness. Humanity may not create the kind of dystopia that the book 1984 envisioned but we may manage to create a dystopia anyway; one that is full of unemployed human beings whose only mission in life is to entertain and be entertained as the machines do all the productive and interesting work.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Interesting thoughts, I seem to agree with Josiah’s sister. At least for the near future biology and technology is merging so fast that it’s difficult to keep up with the possibilities. From bionic eyes that let the blind see, to implanted contraptions that mimic organs that allow life to continue. To a person that can compete at an Olympic level without legs as a runner. I myself benefit from a Bluetooth insulin pump that is being upgraded to a smart device, actually it’s on the FedEx truck as I write this. I no longer test myself or administer insulin, the transmitter sends my data to my doctor and they can adjust. It soon will be without any intervention from me or the doctor (it can do it now) as they upgrade and it because smarter and more intelligent but I think it’s like the self-driven car, I couldn’t just send it to get an oil change by itself because some of us are worried about giving up total control, that’s the scary part.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Interesting thoughts, I seem to agree with Josiah’s sister. At least for the near future biology and technology is merging so fast that it’s difficult to keep up with the possibilities. From bionic eyes that let the blind see, to implanted contraptions that mimic organs that allow life to continue. To a person that can compete at an Olympic level without legs as a runner. I myself benefit from a Bluetooth insulin pump that is being upgraded to a smart device, actually it’s on the FedEx truck as I write this. I no longer test myself or administer insulin, the transmitter sends my data to my doctor and they can adjust. It soon will be without any intervention from me or the doctor (it can do it now) as they upgrade and it because smarter and more intelligent but I think it’s like the self-driven car, I couldn’t just send it to get an oil change by itself because some of us are worried about giving up total control, that’s the scary part.

The scary bit is that even if machines are ever so polite and ever so nice about it they will still be doing everything important and human beings will be bored witless because they will be comparatively so stupid that they are unfit to do anything much that is important.

:scared:

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
The scary bit is that even if machines are ever so polite and ever so nice about it they will still be doing everything important and human beings will be bored witless because they will be comparatively so stupid that they are unfit to do anything much that is important.

:scared:

I will agree that for many this is the scenario that can ensue. But not much can be done to make sure no one is left behind. But for the foreseeable future, this will be an individual choice as I see it happening even with my family and friends today. People that love to sweep their floors won’t be handing the chore over to a Roomba, no matter how hard you try to convince them that it will free up their time. That’s why I believe we will always have libraries with “real” books. That’s why we still find the Model T in a parade interesting, but it’s rare to see a 20 years old driving it. I think eventually, those bored and stupid humans will die off and generations of individuals will take their place that will be able to adapt and find something constructive to do, even if they don’t attend Starfleet Academy.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I will agree that for many this is the scenario that can ensue. But not much can be done to make sure no one is left behind. But for the foreseeable future, this will be an individual choice as I see it happening even with my family and friends today. People that love to sweep their floors won’t be handing the chore over to a Roomba, no matter how hard you try to convince them that it will free up their time. That’s why I believe we will always have libraries with “real” books. That’s why we still find the Model T in a parade interesting, but it’s rare to see a 20 years old driving it. I think eventually, those bored and stupid humans will die off and generations of individuals will take their place that will be able to adapt and find something constructive to do, even if they don’t attend Starfleet Academy.

Star fleet is a nice fantasy but not one that is likely to become real since travel above the speed of causation (300,000 Km/sec) seems impossible and "transporters" are just too unrealistic to ever happen :)

Top Bottom