Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
To begin, I think research by barna makes a logical fallacy from the very outset - and that fallacy is called "begging the question". Here, it's not a question of whether violence exists in schools - but people are being asked the question of why as if there is only one answer - or one answer fits best or all.

It is hard to generalize these things. Would someone from a broken home be more likely to be violent? Maybe. How about a hidden, untreated mental illness? Those are popular these days - and doctors can diagnose one without a single shred of biological evidence. My guess is that for this to be a genuine reason it would be rare.

The ease of access to guns in the possible answers is really telling in my opinion. It shows the propaganda has worked well. For in reality - as much violence has occurred if someone smashes into another with their car, or killed another with a knife or cooking pan - but somehow it's sooooooooo much worse if a gun is involved instead. If two-fifths of American Adults believe the implement of violence is the actual cause of it - then it shows the propaganda is working well.

Looking back on my life as a kid I got into some punch-ups at various times and for various reasons. My parents are not, nor have ever, divorced. I wasn't raised in a violent or abusive home. Me nor my brother were never abandoned, never had access to guns, and were never diagnosed with a mental illness. The reasons specific to our different violent scraps in schools couldn't be found in a study like this that asks a begging question - but rather - by asking each of us, because that's the only way one could have a chance at having the specific reason the study is inquiring about.

Yes, that's true. It also makes you wonder how two kids raised in the same home and go through much the same circumstances and one turns out with mental illness and violent and the other adjusts well and achieves some things in his or her life. Some people are like flowers that grow through cement cracks. They just bloom where they are planted no matter what.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Bullying is a major factor

There is no doubt that bullying plays a part. a recent shooting that I heard about gave this as the reason the kid brought two guns to school. One kids died and three others were wounded.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
There is no doubt that bullying plays a part. a recent shooting that I heard about gave this as the reason the kid brought two guns to school. One kids died and three others were wounded.
Its sad and is present in almost every school shooting

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Right, guns have always been available to youth in the U.S. When I was growing up my father gave me his 22 single shot rifle that he used as a youth and we just didn't see the shootings that are so common place now. I think that when the norm of a healthy family unit breaks down its inevitable to progress to the wider society and now we are at epidemic levels of youth violence.

Sure, it seems to me that the gun is merely the symptom of the problem. Once someone has made the decision to go out and harm other people the gun is nothing more than the tool of choice to achieve the aim - as the UK demonstrated after banning handguns the people who want to do harm will just use knives or baseball bats or whatever else.

If things were as simple as "more guns = more safe" then places like Johannesburg would be the safest places on earth. If it were as simple as "more guns = less safe" then Switzerland and the US would be awash in rivers of blood. When lawful gun owners in the US are estimated to own between 300-600 million guns and anything up to a trillion rounds of ammunition, I think it would be abundantly clear if that were the problem.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Sure, it seems to me that the gun is merely the symptom of the problem. Once someone has made the decision to go out and harm other people the gun is nothing more than the tool of choice to achieve the aim - as the UK demonstrated after banning handguns the people who want to do harm will just use knives or baseball bats or whatever else.

If things were as simple as "more guns = more safe" then places like Johannesburg would be the safest places on earth. If it were as simple as "more guns = less safe" then Switzerland and the US would be awash in rivers of blood. When lawful gun owners in the US are estimated to own between 300-600 million guns and anything up to a trillion rounds of ammunition, I think it would be abundantly clear if that were the problem.
Bullies do lifelong harm yet it seems as if it either cant or wont be prevented. Much talk of zero tolorance but in reality there is still bullying

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Bullies do lifelong harm yet it seems as if it either cant or wont be prevented. Much talk of zero tolorance but in reality there is still bullying

Yes I read that from one school shooter. Insane what they did to him in school. I always have the idea that it's worse in America. It's forbidden here for kids to bully in any way or fight. My eldest is in a special school w a lot of wild kids and kids w problems who'd be bullied on normal schools and they can't even use Whatsapp after school cuz the teachers will read what they write. I think most bullying here is after school on internet. Some kids committed suicide because of it.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Just read in the news: 7 teenagers burned a school in Malaysia, 20 dead, because they were bullied and they were on pot.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The trouble with bullying is that it's often not the sort of thing that can be objectively defined, and a clever bully will figure ways that their victim can't do much about it or they fall foul of the rules. It's easy to say that there is a policy of zero tolerance but actually enforcing it, especially when bullies are often good at gaming the system, is another matter. And where bullying is more emotional than physical it gets even harder - if instead of physically hurting someone the bully and their gang simply makes sure the person is socially excluded it's all but impossible to do anything about it, simply because the obvious justification for the bullying is that this group just doesn't care to hang out with that person.

In my school days I managed to avoid the class bully for a time. Eventually he turned his attention to me but didn't expect the response he got. Because he created a situation where my only options were to either let a group of people do whatever they had in mind or fight back hard it was a bit of a no brainer and when he was isolated because most of the group fled and he was facing someone much bigger than him, angry, ready to break his head with a chair if he got close enough, he decided it was safer to leave me alone. In a way it's sad that these days fighting back against the bully would most likely land me in more trouble than the bully.

Top Bottom