CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      67.48%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      That is part of a pastors job, to maintain order.
      I would agree. And many Pastors don't take this responsibility seriously. Many do. But after we are educated through scripture, isn't it our responsibility to follow the command?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Cor. 4:27-28
      If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. (emphasis mine)
      I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide...
      But I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride..
      - Dream Theater

DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      65.18%
      Quote Originally Posted by meluckycharms View Post
      If you don't mind me asking, are you AOG? Also, after hearing this, it seems understandable for people to "fake it" when it comes to speaking in tongues. They are probably afraid of what their congregations will think of them if they didn't. I wouldn't want people assuming I wasn't saved because my pastor is telling me it's "a must".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      I don't know what AOG is.
      I'm not sure if people can fake it, if so the other person couldn't really tell the difference, it's between them and God if its real or fake. Trying to draw a line of authenticity is impossible and its as dangerous as accusing someone of being demon possessed, but I do believe the 'must' talks make a lot of people upset, i don't they would fake it to fit in tho.

Edit: Assembly of God? No I'm just a Christian that attends a good old fashion small town Pentecostal
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 01-13-2018 at 04:09 PM.

3. Likes meluckycharms liked this post
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      65.18%
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      I would agree. And many Pastors don't take this responsibility seriously. Many do. But after we are educated through scripture, isn't it our responsibility to follow the command?
      I do the 'speak to thyself and to God' bit

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,232,062 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.51%
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      Question, until you speak in toungues how do you know if there is someone to interpret? Also It is the Holy Spirit that interprets and can use anyone so to me this is a part of how to tell if it is genuine or not
      Isaiah 40:31

meluckycharms is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      89.57%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      I don't know what AOG is.
      I'm not sure if people can fake it, if so the other person couldn't really tell the difference, it's between them and God if its real or fake. Trying to draw a line of authenticity is impossible and its as dangerous as accusing someone of being demon possessed, but I do believe the 'must' talks make a lot of people upset, i don't they would fake it to fit in tho.

Edit: Assembly of God? No I'm just a Christian that attends a good old fashion small town Pentecostal
      Ok. I know that some Pentecostal denominations have a different polity. Assemblies of God are more like the Baptist because they're autonomous. The Church of God is more like the Methodist because they are bishop led. Assemblies of God tend to be a little less consistent in their theology because their lack of oversight.

meluckycharms is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      89.57%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      Question, until you speak in toungues how do you know if there is someone to interpret? Also It is the Holy Spirit that interprets and can use anyone so to me this is a part of how to tell if it is genuine or not
      Well...this is where I begin to have a separation from most Pentecostal denomination. My personal position is that "Speaking in tongues" is not to be confused with "praying in the spirit". Speaking in tongues is when the Holy Spirit empowers you to literally speak another language that you are not normally familiar with. Like if I all of a sudden I started speaking ancient Hebrew or Russian. All it takes is someone who knows the language to interpret it. I have personally witnessed two occasions where this has happened.

Praying in the spirit can be found in Romans 8:26 and is not intended to be interpreted for others. It's just between you and God.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.
      Romans 8:26 NIV

8. Likes Imalive liked this post
      Albion is online now Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      38.69%
      Studies have shown that it relieves stress, it's liberating to to utter out gibber jabber other than conforming for the moment to your mother tongue.
      Yep. You've explained that several times before and I completely "get it."

It frees the part of your brain that controls language along with the frontal lobe and its even referred to as the "third brain", it's quite natural too, how do you think languages start in the first place? We start off as toddlers gibber jabbering and I bet there is a tiny bit of stress that attaches to picking and choosing words to say, the tongue is the most powerful weapon of mankind.
      OK

I admit it sounds like gibberish to me and to you, I admit that it's adlib by the spirit but definitely not adlib by thoughts.
      NOW you have moved into the area of theology and are without a real explanation. When you said you made these sounds because it feels good, etc , there's no issue for anyone to dispute. When you simply stipulate that, instead of the above, it's the Holy Spirit moving in you...you have only a theory. And this one is less believable than many others since, as said before, the phonies have been documented many times over. They all claimed that it was the Holy Spirit, too, you know.

Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.23%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post

OK

NOW, you have move into the area of theology and are without a real explanation. When you said you made these sounds because it feels good, etc , there's no issue for anyone to dispute. When you simply stipulate that, instead of the above, it's the Holy Spirit moving in you...you have only a theory. And this one is less believable than many others since, as said before, the phonies have been documented many times over. They all claimed that it was the Holy Spirit, too, you know.
      There's enough texts on it. I posted em once for Menno.
      How to discern if it's good or not: look at the fruit. He got saved when he did, just like they got saved in Acts and he tested it. And he didn't go to some weird charismaniac false teacher who laid hands on him to receive it.

Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      65.18%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post

OK

NOW you have moved into the area of theology and are without a real explanation. When you said you made these sounds because it feels good, etc , there's no issue for anyone to dispute. When you simply stipulate that, instead of the above, it's the Holy Spirit moving in you...you have only a theory. And this one is less believable than many others since, as said before, the phonies have been documented many times over. They all claimed that it was the Holy Spirit, too, you know.
      Teehee!
      The bad apples always ruin it for the rest. By the way what's so bad about it feeling "good"? I see that as a gift in itself, 'knowing' God feels good too and so wouldn't we want to wish it on everyone? God wants us to be happy too so is it selfish or selfless? I would never have spoken tongues if I hadn't come to know God, it doesn't seem like something I would ever think of before.
      I'd rather see a bunch of kids speaking tongues everyday at 4:20 than getting high, since it feels so good and all.

12. Likes Imalive liked this post
      Albion is online now Veteran Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      38.69%
      Teehee!
      The bad apples always ruin it for the rest. By the way what's so bad about it feeling "good"?
      Nothing. I thought I'd been entirely accepting on that point.

I would never have spoken tongues if I hadn't come to know God, it doesn't seem like something I would ever think of before.
      I'd rather see a bunch of kids speaking tongues everyday at 4:20 than getting high, since it feels so good and all.

14. Likes DHoffmann liked this post