Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      The sermons are really incredible. Its not all standing up and shouting I mean we do sit and listen, read, bow our heads and pitch our tents. The initial "feeling" "Holy Ghost high" came and went after a week of the first visit. It was a shock to my world but I've learned to adjust. I thought I had to become one in the class of the "goody goody" arrogant types, the ones who boast and judge everyones acts and turn people off while listening to "inspirational/Spiritual" christian rock, no offense to that music, I was really into for a week but it started sounding like the same song with the lyrics rearranged. I dont expect anything from God but love and forgiveness. Faith in him is strength, is mind body and soul for me, if i turn my back he will turn his. God is on my mind 24/7 and has been for the past 5 years or so, I was just confused as to what to believe church wise. The catholic church became such a stumbling block for me personally but now all that past confusion has been put away. Order came back in my life when I found joy in worshipping the lord.
      Wow im really starting to ramble on huh?
      But like I said, the sermons are amazing, its not all "Jehovah's Fitness"

P.s. i don't believe speaking in tongues separates the church or breaks the body of Christ. As I recall all 7 churches had separate instructions to fit into the one body of Christ or Temple of Christ. Am I wrong on this? I thought we were warned of evils coming into the church in Paul's day and John goes into more detail in Revelation and sends letters to 7 churches, one of which is ready for rapture from the tribulations, the others having charges against but are expected to repent.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by DHoffmann; 09-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.

tango is online now Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,640,145 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      83.09%
      Quote Originally Posted by DHoffmann View Post
      Thanks, maybe I need to work on how I word things a little better.
      The church is very low key from what i've seen of other pentecostal churches. Its very calm and inviting and the energetic feeling I get is because im usually very lethargic and apathetic, its great to feel up lifted and light again. Thanks all

Some pentecostal churches are best described as silly. I attended one for a time and ripping verses out of Scripture to mean the exact opposite of what they actually mean in context was depressingly commonplace. They talked a good game but the reality never matched the rhetoric - they declared themselves prosperous but couldn't pay the rent, they declared themselves delivered but seemed to be permanently needy, and so on. Others are very good. Some are in between.

Having been involved in the occult and (to a lesser extent) with hypercharismatic churches there are a few things that ring warning bells for me, to the point that for me "test all things, hold fast what is good" is a reminder not to be too quick to reject things because they look too much like things I have found to be wanting (hence my disclaimers ). Sometimes it's hard to describe things, especially when trying to put a spiritual experience into words when you're potentially still trying to make sense of it yourself.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

3. Likes DHoffmann liked this post
      Pray DHoffmann prayed
      DHoffmann is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      Some pentecostal churches are best described as silly. I attended one for a time and ripping verses out of Scripture to mean the exact opposite of what they actually mean in context was depressingly commonplace. They talked a good game but the reality never matched the rhetoric - they declared themselves prosperous but couldn't pay the rent, they declared themselves delivered but seemed to be permanently needy, and so on. Others are very good. Some are in between.

Having been involved in the occult and (to a lesser extent) with hypercharismatic churches there are a few things that ring warning bells for me, to the point that for me "test all things, hold fast what is good" is a reminder not to be too quick to reject things because they look too much like things I have found to be wanting (hence my disclaimers ). Sometimes it's hard to describe things, especially when trying to put a spiritual experience into words when you're potentially still trying to make sense of it yourself.
      I thought it was silly at first, im the type that is very introverted and self conscious of myself and what others think. At the same time im very egotistic especially because im a song writer/musician but have horrible stage fright. So imagine that at a pentecostal church lol, i absolutely NEEDED that humiliation to finally get over what other people think of me. I bet I look like a complete idiot at the church but its better than selfishly praying by yourself while in a church when Gods life giving blood tells us in the good book - to be like children, rejoice sing and praise God, jump on top of your clothes, raise your hands high, lift up your head, comfort and love one another, faith is worthless without Love... Our God is a consuming fire

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (141,506 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.29%
      Faith in him is strength, is mind body and soul for me, if i turn my back he will turn his.
      Do you truly believe that? Jesus said, "Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20 God doesn't turn His back. It's always man who does so. God will let man drift away, but He rescues His sheep.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

6. Likes Confessional Lutheran liked this post
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Do you truly believe that? Jesus said, "Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20 God doesn't turn His back. It's always man who does so. God will let man drift away, but He rescues His sheep.
      I agree. Man turns away from God and if he rejects the calling to repentance but expects the lords blessing the lord will say "I never knew ye"... same difference or no?

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (141,506 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      75.29%
      I agree. Man turns away from God and if he rejects the calling to repentance but expects the lords blessing the lord will say "I never knew ye"... same difference or no?

Your sins were forgiven at the cross. Rejection of the Savior at your death is what prevents you from receiving that forgiveness. It really doesn't sound like you've rejected Him. Are you afraid that you'll reject the Savior and His forgiveness?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

9. Likes Confessional Lutheran, Josiah liked this post
      Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Your sins were forgiven at the cross. Rejection of the Savior at your death is what prevents you from receiving that forgiveness. It really doesn't sound like you've rejected Him. Are you afraid that you'll reject the Savior and His forgiveness?
      I was afraid before because although I thought of him nonstop and studied scripture I was still confused due to drawbacks of leaving Catholicism and having no fellowship with any children of God. The only attendees of churches I notice around my area are basically the elderly. Everyone else are usually either atheist, deist/new age, or drop outs of the Catholic church, they might attend if their parents go with their parents, only a few here (that I know of) actually study the bible and even they never ask others to join them to their church, so many are shut out so to speak. No one discusses faith because of fear of ridicule and I get overwhelmed when someone actually says something scriptural. I am noticing that many of my atheist friends are converting to Christianity at an amazing rate, its spreading fast around here.
      Im not afraid anymore, thanks again for talking with me. Good company here, hope I haven't offended anyone. God bless

11. Likes Brighten04 liked this post
      psalms 91 is online now Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,834,221 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      86.9%
      Keep the faith brother and if you ever wish to discuss we are here.
      Isaiah 40:31

13. Likes Josiah, Brighten04 liked this post
      Pray DHoffmann prayed
      IACOBVS is offline Junior Member
      Mood:
      Sad

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      44.16%
      Just be careful. I grew up in a "fun" Pentecostal church. Now I see it as mostly funny. I do have some fond memories though.

Mood:
      Amused

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.17%
      Its all the same church in my eyes. As long as the message is clear and strong and guided by the Holy Ghost and by the Word I really don't care for names or denominations, its all church. As long as they dont blast one another and as ong as they preach in Jesus name i'll go, Catholic, protestant as long as the sermon is true to the word (despite the dispute between them, both are made up of faithful and good people/meek). But I wont go for mormons, JW or anything like that. I'll likely keep to this current church and attend others by invitation, or sadly funerals, but its all under Christ Jesus amen

16. Likes Brighten04 liked this post