Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Just be careful. I grew up in a "fun" Pentecostal church. Now I see it as mostly funny. I do have some fond memories though.

I have some scary memories from visiting as a child with friends. I wish it had been funny because it really traumatized me for Christmas one year :(

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I got saved in a pentecostal church. Yay!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What people dont understand they fear

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What people dont understand they fear

This is true but only tells half the story.

Sometimes people reject things out of hand because they don't understand them but there are other perfectly valid reasons for being suspicious of something.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have been around the Pentecostal movement for many years now and while I will agree that there are excesses at times in the movement I find that most times people do not understand what is happening or else do not know the biblical basis for some things. What I do find disturbing no matter what your beliefs are is when people call something satanic without ever finding out if there is a biblical basis for it. I fear for them because if it is truly of God then they have just called the Holy Spirit a devil.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have been around the Pentecostal movement for many years now and while I will agree that there are excesses at times in the movement I find that most times people do not understand what is happening or else do not know the biblical basis for some things. What I do find disturbing no matter what your beliefs are is when people call something satanic without ever finding out if there is a biblical basis for it. I fear for them because if it is truly of God then they have just called the Holy Spirit a devil.

What about the frauds and liars? We are to always be on guard. There are plenty of charlatans in all churches who are there for the attention and are not of God.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think we ought to be careful about labelling any established Christian practice as "Satanic." At the same time, however, this doesn't mean that the practice we're discussing here is indeed Biblical. It's similar in some ways, and dissimilar in others; but the gift of tongues that was an important part of the life of the early church ceased to be a normal experience once the purpose for which it was given was accomplished.

That doesn't make Christians who believe otherwise insincere, but neither does it mean that those other Christians who don't agree that today's tongues are a continuation of the tongues described in the Bible should be dismissed as people who don't "understand."

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What about the frauds and liars? We are to always be on guard. There are plenty of charlatans in all churches who are there for the attention and are not of God.
What about them? That is why we are to hear from God and have spiritual discernment. We do not shut down a move of God because there are fakes.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

You are right that we shouldn't be too quick to call something satanic. "Test all things" is a reminder to, well, test all things rather than blindly accepting everything just because it happens under the pretence of being Godly or blindly rejecting them because they don't look exactly like something we are familiar with.

That said I can't help thinking it's better to err on the side of keeping things at arms length, than to err on the side of launching headlong into everything new. If something is truly from God he can make it clear with a second message, and if it is not from God we haven't accepted toxic teachings out of fear of missing out on something.

"Sign up now or miss out" sounds more like a dodgy used car salesman than the maker of the heavens and the earth.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Just because something practiced is not necessarily in the scripture doesnt mean it can't be of the Holy Spirit. If demons be cast out in Jesus name and by his name the sick be healed than it is NOT satanic!
Bashing another church's practice is dividing the body of Christ. I think Catholicism is weird but I believe it to be great bait for large fish, pagans/gentiles in those days took the bait that is Christ and generations later the generational curse was lifted. Every church has a Judas in it every once in a while and even now are wickedness in the church according to Paul, you will know them by their fruits. we of divided denominations are one Holy in Christ Jesus amen.

Luke 20
And it came to pass, that on one of those days, as he taught the people in the temple, and preached the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes came upon him with the elders, And spake unto him, saying, Tell us, by what authority doest thou these things? or who is he that gave thee this authority?And he answered and said unto them, I will also ask you one thing; and answer me: The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then believed ye him not? But and if we say, Of men; all the people will stone us: for they be persuaded that John was a prophet. And they answered, that they could not tell whence it was. And Jesus said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.

Love your brothers, accusers of the brethren lack understanding. Keep the mark of God in your foreheads and call no brother a fool. Amen

1 John 4:20
If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just because something practiced is not necessarily in the scripture doesnt mean it can't be of the Holy Spirit. If demons be cast out in Jesus name and by his name the sick be healed than it is NOT satanic!
However, there IS a Biblical basis for believing both of those things.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
However, there IS a Biblical basis for believing both of those things.
Please share! I tried my best at making it evident off the top of my head, I read Luke last night and some of the responses on this thread was starting to sound like they could make one doubt his faith which is extremely dangerous more so for someone who has finally joined to the fellowship of believers. They mean well and Im thankful for the concern and it turn it made me realise something I had missed before.
The thread about "sacraments" had me thinking as well.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Please share! I tried my best at making it evident off the top of my head, I read Luke last night and some of the responses on this thread was starting to sound like they could make one doubt his faith which is extremely dangerous more so for someone who has finally joined to the fellowship of believers. They mean well and Im thankful for the concern and it turn it made me realise something I had missed before.
The thread about "sacraments" had me thinking as well.

Why would the issue of tongues make one doubt faith since faith is in the Savior who died for your sins?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Why would the issue of tongues make one doubt faith since faith is in the Savior who died for your sins?
It would have for me before and definitely could now for a person like I was. It's not the issue of tongues but the issue of concerns for an entire denomination under the Lords name.
We shouldn't question one because of their denomination or tradition, a Church under Christ Jesus name is sacred and biblical, non biblical denominations with a false christ are false completely.
Revelation starts off to letters toward THE denominations, THE as in the number of completion, 7, the Body of Christ is spread out East to West unto the ends of the known world, each with it's own duties and purpose, they grew from the "seven" churches of gentiles and coverts/believers.
I'm talking tho about my concern, practices of another denomination can be Holy and not described entirely in detail about its specific traditions by scripture.
Some hints maybe, as in revelation when Johns perceives "anti-christ" as he who opposes and exalts himself above everything called god or is worshipped.
I have gone to different churches in my area of which its members dangerously question and attempt to rebuke another denomination because the preacher would preach it, I can't agree with this one bit.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It would have for me before and definitely could now for a person like I was. It's not the issue of tongues but the issue of concerns for an entire denomination under the Lords name.
We shouldn't question one because of their denomination or tradition, a Church under Christ Jesus name is sacred and biblical, non biblical denominations with a false christ are false completely.
Revelation starts off to letters toward THE denominations, THE as in the number of completion, 7, the Body of Christ is spread out East to West unto the ends of the known world, each with it's own duties and purpose, they grew from the "seven" churches of gentiles and coverts/believers.
I'm talking tho about my concern, practices of another denomination can be Holy and not described entirely in detail about its specific traditions by scripture.
Some hints maybe, as in revelation when Johns perceives "anti-christ" as he who opposes and exalts himself above everything called god or is worshipped.
I have gone to different churches in my area of which its members dangerously question and attempt to rebuke another denomination because the preacher would preach it, I can't agree with this one bit.

Even questioning doctrine of denominations isn't a reason to question faith in the Savior.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Also, when I say "members" I mean as well "Christians" who will write letters to the church they are at in anger, because their certain church has a different view or way of understanding in the bible. Whereas I see no reason because it's still truth under many perspectives such as the four books of the NT, Gods witnesses.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Even questioning doctrine of denominations isn't a reason to question faith in the Savior.
Exactly

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No one here doubts and they hold their ground which is good but some of the claims against each other tell me "stop fighting"
None is the greater, but I haven't noticed anyone HERE lose faith, but consider the small who visit or stumble upon this forum

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No one here doubts and they hold their ground which is good but some of the claims against each other tell me "stop fighting"
None is the greater, but I haven't noticed anyone HERE lose faith, but consider the small who visit or stumble upon this forum

I am not understanding why someone would lose faith in the Savior from people who are discussing doctrine. Why would anyone fighting make someone not want to believe in Jesus and His death and resurrection as well as forgiveness sins? No one should look to the Christians who are still in these sinful bodies to know whether the Christ is real. Look to the Christ Himself for assurance. Trust in His Word.

Top Bottom