Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have plenty of time to think about next year's garden. Right now we use the plot as a fire pit.

So, I'm asking everyone for help and tips and ideas on how to build my garden.

The dimensions are 24 feet wide by 28 feet deep. That's huge! We have all kinds of animals that roam the area such as deer, groundhogs and voles so we need some sort of protection to keep them out. I considered leaving a small area for them to feed off and so that I can watch them ;)

How do I build this?

What should I plant? What plants grow well next to each other?

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Plant some carrots...everyone loves carrots

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Lammchen, we are going to need more information.

Where is the plot? What is the topography? Is it sheltered or wind swept? North or south facing? What sort of soil do you have? And finally what sort budget have you got?

Pete from Peterborough UK

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I'll ask my sister. She planted a banana tree in her garden.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sounds like you'll need a rifle to keep the pests away from your garden.

I have groundhogs in my back yard that I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of. I considered a rifle but live too near the main road, don't want people calling in reports of gunfire!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't forget to include some flowers..... something for the table, something for the heart.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lammchen, we are going to need more information.

Where is the plot? What is the topography? Is it sheltered or wind swept? North or south facing? What sort of soil do you have? And finally what sort budget have you got?

The plot of land receives full sun all day long and it's in the backyard where we see sunsets. There is no shelter very near it and I looked up the type of soil online and it's called ultisol (?). Wikipedia says it's a red clay soil.

Our budget is as cheap as we can make it :D

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sounds like you'll need a rifle to keep the pests away from your garden.

I have groundhogs in my back yard that I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of. I considered a rifle but live too near the main road, don't want people calling in reports of gunfire!

I like our little fat groundhogs! There is a blonde one (very light brown) and a brown one :D

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't forget to include some flowers..... something for the table, something for the heart.

I have some flowers elsewhere in the yard but that's a good idea to have something for the table!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I like our little fat groundhogs! There is a blonde one (very light brown) and a brown one :D

My cat Casper could take care of that problem for you. He loves to kill things. He has killed squirrels, rabbits and birds and mice

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My cat Casper could take care of that problem for you. He loves to kill things. He has killed squirrels, rabbits and birds and mice

Doubtful a cat would attack an adult groundhog.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I have plenty of time to think about next year's garden. Right now we use the plot as a fire pit.

So, I'm asking everyone for help and tips and ideas on how to build my garden.

The dimensions are 24 feet wide by 28 feet deep. That's huge! We have all kinds of animals that roam the area such as deer, groundhogs and voles so we need some sort of protection to keep them out. I considered leaving a small area for them to feed off and so that I can watch them ;)

How do I build this?

What should I plant? What plants grow well next to each other?

I think one of the first considerations is whether the garden is going to be raised, or sit on the ground. A raised garden provides a few advantages - less pests, less weeds, less bending over when harvesting etc. Some years back I went nuts digging up a large section of my front yard - getting all the grass and grass roots out, mixing up the soil and making a nice big semi circle around it with brick and rows in-between. I killed the grass growing just beside it and started planting my veggies and grains in small pots to be transferred to the rows once they were big enough.

Problem was - the grass around my brick wasn't deterred by a little poison, it grew back and the roots went under my brick perimeter. I later discovered that in order to do this properly - I needed to dig a small trench around 6 inches deep or so around the whole area, and fill it with something grass roots couldn't use - like sand. Big learning experience - and I had wasted a ton of time only to see my garden eventually over run with grass.

Familiarize yourself with growing seasons for different plants. Ya'll in the north are going into winter in a few months - so it'll be a wasted effort to plant tomatoes right now.

I don't know the answer to your wildlife problem - that's not an issue I have where I'm at - but I'm guessing raised sections might help curb at least some of them.

Here are some tips I've learned:

Compost bin. This is for organic scrap material that you'd normally throw away. The minerals are left behind and can be used to enrich your soil.

Unless you want to start buying fertalizer or use poop from farm animals that smell - start saving your urine. It contains NPK and is great for plant growth. Apply directly to soil (not plants - will burn) - can be applied to plants if diluted to 10 percent in water.

Start saving your eggshells - these are broken up into small pieces and they deter certain pests like slugs and snails that will eat your plant leaves.

- eggshells can also be powdered and added to soil - they are super rich in calcium!

You might consider getting your soil sampled to see what can be done to improve it - what minerals might be lacking, for example.

Start with veggies that are easy to grow to help you gain confidence. I started with potatoes. They are easy.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah...not going to save my urine. I'll consider the other tips!

The garden is sectioned off by wood already but it is not raised. It's too large of an area to do a raised garden because of the cost.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Yeah...not going to save my urine. I'll consider the other tips!

The garden is sectioned off by wood already but it is not raised. It's too large of an area to do a raised garden because of the cost.

If you plan to use the whole space, then it's worth the time to think about how you will keep the area relatively weed free and grass free. Some people do not mind weeding - and it's really not a big deal if it's kept on top of. But if your area becomes choked with weeds/grass then the plants that are meant to be grown have to compete and they can get choked of nutrients.

Why not start small? Then you can expand if you like gardening.

Fertilizer. Urine is free. It's also sterile, unlike poop. To most people it sounds disgusting or uncivilized but if you don't use something you throw away, you'll have to spend money for fertilizer. Whether that be some farm animal poo that stinks or a bag of commercial fertilizer that advertises it's been "scientifically tested" for "maximum growth" - it's still a product of something that was once alive but is now decaying plant and/or animal matter. Including their feces and urine.

YESLORDIWILL

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Married
Here's a great resource: https://www.youtube.com/user/MIgardener

In our area the city offers free compost and will even load it or deliver it for a small fee.

Most farms are looking for people who will take manure. Horse boarding facilities too, many times they will have equipment to load it and are happy to :•)

I've also learned that table scraps will compost in about the same time without being turned. We keep a bucket outside the kitchen door and fill it with coffee grounds/filters, egg shells, banana peels, corn cobs... then take it to a pile in the tree line. Each year start a new pile and use the old pile, easy if you have a spot. (animals never bother it as long as we stick to fruits, veggies, eggshells, and coffee grounds)

...and only plant what you like and what you'll use. One year I planted 50 tomato plants, that was overwhelming, lol.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
For some inspiration:
garden of my parents:
1504955955742.jpg

Or if you like my gardening better:
1504956017997.jpg

Take some rabbits, you won't have to mow.

Last edited:

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
The plot of land receives full sun all day long and it's in the backyard where we see sunsets. There is no shelter very near it and I looked up the type of soil online and it's called ultisol (?). Wikipedia says it's a red clay soil.

Our budget is as cheap as we can make it :D

Plant roses, they love clay soil and lots of sun.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married