Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you observe any fasts, feasts, or abstain from any foods on specific days for religious reasons?

Last edited:

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It’s against my religion to eat fish on Fridays.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you observe ant fasts, feasts, or abstain from any foods on specific days for religious reasons?

I love fish. I eat fish often. But not because a denomination commands of it me and I don't eat fish exclusively or especially on Friday.

My religion does suggest that I be responsible in what I eat, and so I pay a lot of attention to that, trying to eat foods good for me (yes, because of the Fifth Commandment so yes, for religious reasons). I tend to avoid a lot of saturated fats, added salt and refined sugars, and keep my calories in check. I mostly avoid desserts, "snack" foods and sodas to avoid empty calories and chemicals. Of course, I don't smoke, keep my "adult beverages" in check, exercise daily and keep my weight in line (I'm 6-0 feel tall and 175 pounds - slowing gaining weight but it's related to the body building).

And when I eat fish, I keep it to sustainable fish. Our oceans are in big trouble and many fish are being severely over-fished; consuming such is being bad stewards of God's planet. BTW, in Europe, the RC Denomination often mandated the eating of fish - so much so that many of the native fresh water fish of Europe were fished to extinction and many rivers became completely devoid of fish (this benefited the "salt water" fishing of Norway and Scotland, and when the 'New World' was discovered, much of the fishing shifted to North America where the over-fishing continued). IMO, this mandate of that one denomination just might be responsible for one of the sad ecological tragedies of the late middle ages; IMO we need to be good stewards of God's planet including attaining food in responsible and sustainable ways (fish is just ONE part of that), we have a long way to go and IMO it is a religious responsibility.

:smile:

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, I do participate in any fasts, feasts or abstain for religious reasons. I don't look down on those who do though.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, I did when I was younger, but now that I have diabetes and am insulin I would go too low if I didn't eat something

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
Nope I eat what I want, when I want. Simple as that really.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you observe any fasts, feasts, or abstain from any foods on specific days for religious reasons?

The third Thursday of every month is the church Dinner-on-the-Grounds where we bring a covered dish, gather together and share a meal. I try to attend every one. Does that count?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The third Thursday of every month is the church Dinner-on-the-Grounds where we bring a covered dish, gather together and share a meal. I try to attend every one. Does that count?

YES!

Church potlucks.... I love church potlucks.....

Now, at my Catholic church, the men held occasional fish fries...... All-you-can-eat fried fish and french fries, with tartar sauce. SO very, very bad for you.... but so good. Could pig out. Cheap too. And all the profits when to help something in the church (don't know what). I loved it. NOW... I'd pass on it because of health concerns but I gotta admit, I really loved it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My Parish has sausage sizzles every few months usually run by the youth (youth building community is their group's name) and the funds are usually donated to charities such as Saint Vincent de Paul's but these are not feasts (and definitely not fasts) for religious purposes.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My Parish has sausage sizzles every few months usually run by the youth (youth building community is their group's name) and the funds are usually donated to charities such as Saint Vincent de Paul's

Yum..... I gotta admit, Catholics are #1 when it comes to food. Partly because of the amazing diversity, SO many ethnic backgrounds.....

Top Bottom