Fake News

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Has anyone ever intentionally posted a fake news story that (by all accounts) could be true if it was true? How long did you let the story go before you let on?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Has anyone ever intentionally posted a fake news story that (by all accounts) could be true if it was true? How long did you let the story go before you let on?

Never posted it as a news story but back in the days when I worked in IT I periodically strung a user a line to see how long it would run before they figured I was teasing them.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, I've never knowingly passed along fake news. There are some cute sites though that let you create your own. I have a friend on Facebook who actually did one and it looked very real...except for the wording about it being fake news in the small print ;) There's also a cute newspaper creating site: newspaper.jaguarpaw.co.uk

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I thought I'd give it a try. It's an innocuous story that was posted to my wall that got a few people going, and I re-posted it. It has a couple people hooked so far :)

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
No, I've never knowingly passed along fake news. There are some cute sites though that let you create your own. I have a friend on Facebook who actually did one and it looked very real...except for the wording about it being fake news in the small print ;) There's also a cute newspaper creating site: newspaper.jaguarpaw.co.uk

Apparently the story originated from one of the 'create your own' sites. It looks pretty real if you just read the story and don't look at the site header. I figure I'll give it the day before I say anything. :)

But it is interesting from the "social experiment" standpoint. Some of the hidden camera joke programs that are on TV sometimes, I gotta wonder if real people really fall for some of them, they're so ridiculous, or seem so staged; but where does the line get drawn between "unbelievable" and "okay, this I accept..."

Last edited:

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Yes because I thought it was true. It was on cf about Romney being the rider on the white horse.
LOL I will never forget the response of Simply Put. He looked up my link and said: on their first page: E.T. not just fiction but a real story.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I thought I'd give it a try. It's an innocuous story that was posted to my wall that got a few people going, and I re-posted it. It has a couple people hooked so far :)

On Facebook? I didn't see you post anything?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Huh. That's weird

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I hate when you visit someone's page and it doesn't show everything the person has posted but just selects what it wants to show. So it's possible I saw it in my feed (and didn't notice) but I don't see it on your wall.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Check your reps

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have never posted news that was fake intentionally.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
It was interesting the responses it got. And, like I said, by all rights could have been true.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I'm sure I have repeated false information that I thought at one time to be true, but

No - I have never posted a false news story that I knew to be false, nor have I ever posted anything serious online about anyone that I knew to be false. However, I have been a victim of this and I look forward to the day when such persons get what they deserve.

Top Bottom