... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Assuming it's true and there isn't some aspect of it that isn't readily apparent, it does little other than relay the exact opposite of the message Jesus gave us. All that stuff about "whatever you do unto the least of these" and all that.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I thought it was fake at first because I just couldn't wrap my head around it. I don't live but 30 minutes from Houston and some of my friends and family live there, so.. I just watched a live feed from facebook of a Houstonian outside the entrance of Lakewood Church, the parking lot is wet, thats all.

The only reply I believe is that because its flooding in Houston its considered "unsafe" for people to get there.... Wut?.
I have relatives that are housing multiple families and this guy has a mansion in Houston....
I would say that this is career suicide but I guarantee, attendees will show up for service and the tax exempt judas church will continue.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It is heart warming. He posted prayers on Facebook.
Meanwhile...

A Houston furniture store is offering to help the thousands of displaced Texas residents that have nowhere to stay following the catastrophic flooding and dangerous conditions created by*Hurricane Harvey.

Gallery Furniture, a Houston-based chain store, opened two of its locations — one north of downtown, and the other west of the city in Richmond, TX — to residents seeking shelter as the*historic tropical storm*forced them out of their homes. In a post on*Facebook*on Sunday, the company announced it would have food, beds and restrooms available for anyone in need — including kenneled pets.

http://time.com/4919017/gallery-furniture-houston-harvey-hurricane-shelter/

Imagine that, this Christian furniture store entrepreneur opened up both stores for people to take refuge in, beautiful heart this man has.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
It looks like media spin and court of public opinion has begun. The article says they are open, who knows. I checked my Facebook page and some of my 'friends' are going on and on about being "un-friended" because they were upset about this (say what?). Another of my friends posted what he says were "pictures from Lakewood church" (right...) of flooded hallways and industrial fans. It could have been from any miscellaneous building. This has only just begun. LOL!

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
It looks like media spin and court of public opinion has begun. The article says they are open, who knows. I checked my Facebook page and some of my 'friends' are going on and on about being "un-friended" because they were upset about this (say what?). Another of my friends posted what he says were "pictures from Lakewood church" (right...) of flooded hallways and industrial fans. It could have been from any miscellaneous building. This has only just begun. LOL!

Just show em this:

1wHQ95O.png

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Foxnews wrote that there was a misunderstanding on this. The church announced it was closed for Sunday services because of the flooding so everyone interpreted it as the doors are closed because the building is flooded.

At any church I've been to if there is a weather related incident in the area the church closes for services as protection for the congregation.

Fox news also has a snip of an announcement that the church is collecting supplies such as baby food, diapers and formula and to bring it to the church and they'll dispense it to the shelters. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/2...as-floods-as-critics-blast-lack-outreach.html

I think they'll have to do a lot of damage control on this for years to come!

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Foxnews wrote that there was a misunderstanding on this. The church announced it was closed for Sunday services because of the flooding so everyone interpreted it as the doors are closed because the building is flooded.

At any church I've been to if there is a weather related incident in the area the church closes for services as protection for the congregation.

Fox news also has a snip of an announcement that the church is collecting supplies such as baby food, diapers and formula and to bring it to the church and they'll dispense it to the shelters. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/2...as-floods-as-critics-blast-lack-outreach.html

I think they'll have to do a lot of damage control on this for years to come!

If it was just about Sunday services, then it would make sense to mention those services. Instead - they aren't mentioned but what is mentioned in the initial response are numerous places where you can go if you need shelter - anywhere but the huge complex that is Lakewood Church. Even when criticized Mr. Osteen didn't say his church was a shelter at all - instead - it seems that now they were "collecting relief supplies". Mind you - this is completely missing from the previous announcement. In addition to all this, Joel Osteen's twitter appears to read like he has a bot running it or someone else, as right up and into the time of the flood there are bunch of tweets unrelated to it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...od-church-houston-hurricane-harvey/610947001/

Initial FB post: https://www.facebook.com/LakewoodChurch/posts/10155840984515864

On the website he has recently linked you can donate, of course.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Meanwhile...

A Houston furniture store is offering to help the thousands of displaced Texas residents that have nowhere to stay following the catastrophic flooding and dangerous conditions created by*Hurricane Harvey.

Gallery Furniture, a Houston-based chain store, opened two of its locations — one north of downtown, and the other west of the city in Richmond, TX — to residents seeking shelter as the*historic tropical storm*forced them out of their homes. In a post on*Facebook*on Sunday, the company announced it would have food, beds and restrooms available for anyone in need — including kenneled pets.

http://time.com/4919017/gallery-furniture-houston-harvey-hurricane-shelter/

Imagine that, this Christian furniture store entrepreneur opened up both stores for people to take refuge in, beautiful heart this man has.

From what i remember about "Mattress Mack" he has always been a very giving person

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If it was just about Sunday services, then it would make sense to mention those services. Instead - they aren't mentioned but what is mentioned in the initial response are numerous places where you can go if you need shelter - anywhere but the huge complex that is Lakewood Church. Even when criticized Mr. Osteen didn't say his church was a shelter at all - instead - it seems that now they were "collecting relief supplies". Mind you - this is completely missing from the previous announcement. In addition to all this, Joel Osteen's twitter appears to read like he has a bot running it or someone else, as right up and into the time of the flood there are bunch of tweets unrelated to it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...od-church-houston-hurricane-harvey/610947001/

Initial FB post: https://www.facebook.com/LakewoodChurch/posts/10155840984515864

Oh, I'm not defending him at all. Can't stand his bad theology! I was just stating more facts. And yes, I think he should definitely open it up as a shelter even if there is flooding around the building because some people will swim or have boats to get there. Churches are supposed to show love to their neighbors. This is the time for them to act.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

An external observer might be forgiven for thinking his response was little more than telling the cold hungry people "be warm, be filled" and sending them on their way. There's something about that in the Bible, if I recall....

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yeah didnt like him before and like him even less now, he really is not a preacher so much as a motivational speaker

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It sounds great that they are willing to let people drop off donations. I wonder if they will be making a donation of their own, or merely taking credit for acting as a conduit for the generosity of local people.

In many ways it reminds me of the supermarkets in the UK being very willing to let people like the food bank volunteers gather up donations. It costs the supermarket nothing, it gains them some publicity, and people buy more items (at full price, naturally) to donate. It would be far more impressive if the supermarket did something more like matching donations (buy one, get one free, as long as both were donated or similar). Otherwise it just looks as if they are quietly enjoying an increase in profits from the generosity of others.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Whatever he does I'm sure he'll make it tax deductible.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is it true that Osteen is claiming he didn't open up his church to Texas because he wasn't asked?

faramir.pete

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
Just to try to bring some semblance of balance to this thread, I think we need to recognise that Lakewood Church has in fact suffered flooding too and that it would be considered unsuited as a shelter. I have visited the church some years ago and can say that parts of the building are very low lying and would be inundated if the city flooded. So I believe the stories being circulated are no more than an attempt to discredit Joel Osteen by folks who do not agree with his preaching.
Personally I do not agree nor disagree with him, but to smear the whole church because of not agreeing with the personality leading it, is not particularly Christian and ought to be beneath a place calling itself a Christian Haven.

Pete from Peterborough UK

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Just to try to bring some semblance of balance to this thread, I think we need to recognise that Lakewood Church has in fact suffered flooding too and that it would be considered unsuited as a shelter. I have visited the church some years ago and can say that parts of the building are very low lying and would be inundated if the city flooded. So I believe the stories being circulated are no more than an attempt to discredit Joel Osteen by folks who do not agree with his preaching.
Personally I do not agree nor disagree with him, but to smear the whole church because of not agreeing with the personality leading it, is not particularly Christian and ought to be beneath a place calling itself a Christian Haven.

Very true, I didnt find out until later when he spoke publicly his reasons and concerns for opening up the church earlier.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Osteen himself confirmed on Today that the church did not flood. The parking garage across the street did!

Here's a quote from him on the Today show, “I don’t know if it’s unfounded but I think if people were here they’d realize there were safety issues, this building had flooded before, and so we were just being precautious (sic) but the main thing is the city didn’t ask us to become a shelter then,” he added."

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

There seem to be lots of reports circulating - some say the church had been badly affected by the flooding and was therefore unsuited (although I think I'd rather have a damp roof over my head than no roof at all, if I'd been forced to flee my home), others said there was a bit of water in the streets but the church was fine and still others said there was no meaningful water around the church at all.

As seems to be depressingly common these days there are lots of claims posted but without going to see it for ourselves it's hard to know which pictures are genuine and which are modified or faked.

Top Bottom