Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
So after my first time at a Pentecostal church I feel a bit transformed, the usual negative thoughts that used to flood my mind are instantly zapped away before they get a chance to distract me. My eye actually blinks like that of a nervous tick but its changing my world and my positive outlook on life is rubbing off. Im joyful for the first time since I was a child, I will continue on with this church so my cup runnith over. I dont judge people at all, we are sinners and we can turn away from sin through Jesus Christ.
My question
Is it normal to slip up a few times after receiving the spirit?
I cant wait to get back to church and I pray intensively everyday, but its almost been a week and at night when im trying to sleep my mind wanders in doubt.
Would a bible study on wed help pull me through the week? Thank you so much, God bless!

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Welcome to the community! (We DO need to address your faith icon, which says "Agnostic" Contact Staff and they can change that for you).

PERSONALLY, I'm very leary to give much heed to emotions/feelings (they seem to ebb and flow at will), but I rejoice when faith yields good things and so I rejoice for you.

Yes, regardless of how we feel, I think it is good practice to worship, study, pray and serve often and regularly - especially corporately (with other Christians). Perhaps it's MORE important when we don't "feel" like it. So yes, I encourage your participation in Sunday and Wednesday worship and study (and any other opportunities). And while a site like this can supplement that a bit, it can't replace that IMO.

Blessings to you!

Again, welcome!

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Thank you! I do plan on getting involved, I guess im feeling a little overwhelmed im just getting used to being in public again (ive been closed off for years).
I rejoice with you as well brother, I know that God is patient and by his grace he will guides us where he needs us to go. My faith has never been stronger but will continue to.

-btw, i dont know my its says agnostic and conservative etc, im using mobile can I find the staff in the sub forums?

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Welcome to CH! Glad you found a congregation to worship with:)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Welcome am glad to see you and if you have any questions please ask.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So after my first time at a Pentecostal church I feel a bit transformed, the usual negative thoughts that used to flood my mind are instantly zapped away before they get a chance to distract me. My eye actually blinks like that of a nervous tick but its changing my world and my positive outlook on life is rubbing off. Im joyful for the first time since I was a child, I will continue on with this church so my cup runnith over. I dont judge people at all, we are sinners and we can turn away from sin through Jesus Christ.
My question
I cant wait to get back to church and I pray intensively everyday, but its almost been a week and at night when im trying to sleep my mind wanders in doubt.
Would a bible study on wed help pull me through the week? Thank you so much, God bless!

Don't they have prayer meetings or studies during the week?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
My question

In answer to the question is it normal to slip up after recieving the spirit, the answer is yes. Look around thatchurch for noone is perfect and we all slip up, the question is what do we do when that happens. Are respentant and ask forgiveness and try not to do it again (and if you do this is also normal) key is that we should be doing it less and less. It is these experiences thatw e overcome that enables us to help others.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Don't they have prayer meetings or studies during the week?
Yes, they do but i work late during the week. I believe i can request that I leave a certain time on wed for bible study, i really need a good job with better hours. Looking forward to this sunday and hopefully wed.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
In answer to the question is it normal to slip up after recieving the spirit, the answer is yes. Look around thatchurch for noone is perfect and we all slip up, the question is what do we do when that happens. Are respentant and ask forgiveness and try not to do it again (and if you do this is also normal) key is that we should be doing it less and less. It is these experiences thatw e overcome that enables us to help others.
Thank you, I do feel like im getting stronger through the Holy Spirit. Before I drank and smoked everyday after work and even partook in street drugs as well, since last sunday I have been absolutely sober and smoking makes me feel sick so i cant do that either although i have been having about one or two a day as opposed to the first 3 days where i had none. I guess im afraid of relapse but i feel almost as if my DNA is changing and i just dont "want" things that will ruin me. God bless and thanks for your answers.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Welcome to the forum.

I generally don't rely on just one ministry to feed my spirit. I have a number of pastors and teachers and apps on my phone that I use to help link me to teaching that will lift me up. There is a site called oneplace.com that has a directory of numerous pastors and teachers that you might look at. Many of them have their own sites with resources and apps you can use to listen to in your car. I drive a lot for work, so I can listen to several messages a day if I want to.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
My question

Welcome to CH. What other churches have you visited and at this church was there preaching on Jesus who died for your forgiveness of sins could you please reveal to us? Was it preached that you are forgiven and you will slip up after receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit in your baptism because of the blood of our Savior and not because you are trying to be good?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Welcome to CH. What other churches have you visited and at this church was there preaching on Jesus who died for your forgiveness of sins could you please reveal to us? Was it preached that you are forgiven and you will slip up after receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit in your baptism because of the blood of our Savior and not because you are trying to be good?
This is the first church I have been to in about 7 years or so. I grew up catholic which honestly scared me as a kid and later I just couldnt get anything out of it. The scripture kind of pulled me out of the catholic church as well "call no man father" "confess your sins to no man" "faith cannot survive on tradition alone" etc.
I fell head over heels into the bible but without church it left me in between and bitterly confused. Catholic taught me that outside of the catholic church is no salvation and eternal hell after death, whereas the Pentecostal service taught me that Jesus died for our sins, and holds the keys to hell/power to unlock us from and save us from hell by receiving the spirit and turning away from sin (not turning from sin to receive the spirit but the opposite). I feel closer to the father and not egotistic about it either, since the church is an assembly of believers we can rejoice without pressure, unlike a catholic church that feels like a punishment. No offense to the Catholic faith at all, i just prefer evangelical sermons.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This is the first church I have been to in about 7 years or so. I grew up catholic which honestly scared me as a kid and later I just couldnt get anything out of it. The scripture kind of pulled me out of the catholic church as well "call no man father" "confess your sins to no man" "faith cannot survive on tradition alone" etc.
I fell head over heels into the bible but without church it left me in between and bitterly confused. Catholic taught me that outside of the catholic church is no salvation and eternal hell after death, whereas the Pentecostal service taught me that Jesus died for our sins, and holds the keys to hell/power to unlock us from and save us from hell by receiving the spirit and turning away from sin (not turning from sin to receive the spirit but the opposite). I feel closer to the father and not egotistic about it either, since the church is an assembly of believers we can rejoice without pressure, unlike a catholic church that feels like a punishment. No offense to the Catholic faith at all, i just prefer evangelical sermons.

You have it and dont let anyone tell you different or try to take you from the church that is feeding you. There are many doctrines out there and know that there are those who will try to move you off what you know to be true but stand firm.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My question

Hi, and welcome to the board! I hope your time with us is greatly blessed.

To look at your question. It's perfectly normal to slip up - none of us are perfect and we'll all fall off the wagon from time to time. If you want an example just look at Peter who denied Jesus three times shortly after promising he'd do nothing of the sort. This was the same Peter who had previously walked on the water and been entrusted with the revelation that Jesus was "the Christ, the son of the living God".

I'd echo the caution someone else (Josiah?) sounded about leaning too heavily on feelings simply because feelings come and go. Some churches err on the side of services being staid to the point some would say they are dull and repetitive, other churches err towards an excessive focus on how things feel. Focusing on how things feel tends to lead people to endlessly chase a "spiritual high", which in turn has a tendency to cause people to take their mind off God and focus on gaining what is little more than a transient emotional experience (I spent time on just such a goose chase).

You can study the Bible with or without others. It's often good to discuss Scripture in detail with others, even if only to help catch errant ideas before they get ahead of themselves. I'm something of a thinker and it's good for me to talk with others because sometimes I latch onto an idea only for it to spin out of hand, and someone else can pull me back down to earth.

I'm not sure what you're describing when you want a Bible study to "help pull (you) through the week"? Could you clarify what you're hoping it will do for you?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Hi, and welcome to the board! I hope your time with us is greatly blessed.

To look at your question. It's perfectly normal to slip up - none of us are perfect and we'll all fall off the wagon from time to time. If you want an example just look at Peter who denied Jesus three times shortly after promising he'd do nothing of the sort. This was the same Peter who had previously walked on the water and been entrusted with the revelation that Jesus was "the Christ, the son of the living God".

I'd echo the caution someone else (Josiah?) sounded about leaning too heavily on feelings simply because feelings come and go. Some churches err on the side of services being staid to the point some would say they are dull and repetitive, other churches err towards an excessive focus on how things feel. Focusing on how things feel tends to lead people to endlessly chase a "spiritual high", which in turn has a tendency to cause people to take their mind off God and focus on gaining what is little more than a transient emotional experience (I spent time on just such a goose chase).

You can study the Bible with or without others. It's often good to discuss Scripture in detail with others, even if only to help catch errant ideas before they get ahead of themselves. I'm something of a thinker and it's good for me to talk with others because sometimes I latch onto an idea only for it to spin out of hand, and someone else can pull me back down to earth.

I'm not sure what you're describing when you want a Bible study to "help pull (you) through the week"? Could you clarify what you're hoping it will do for you?
Thanks for the help.
About the pull through the week.. I suppose its because of how i see the world differently now, im realizing that if the people i see on a daily basis have nothing to say or do but to curse and act perverted, then I also need to see people with understanding around me somewhat as well. i dont mind being around the people at all but too much of its negative nature cant be good for me as i dont associate with anyone outside of work. Ive kind of been a hermit for the past three years. I see that my positivity is rubbing off on them which makes me happy, now that i dont swear or smoke anymore they notice it and watch there tongue, but they havent asked me why... yet :)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks for the help.
About the pull through the week.. I suppose its because of how i see the world differently now, im realizing that if the people i see on a daily basis have nothing to say or do but to curse and act perverted, then I also need to see people with understanding around me somewhat as well. i dont mind being around the people at all but too much of its negative nature cant be good for me as i dont associate with anyone outside of work. Ive kind of been a hermit for the past three years. I see that my positivity is rubbing off on them which makes me happy, now that i dont swear or smoke anymore they notice it and watch there tongue, but they havent asked me why... yet :)

Even if they never ask you why, if they notice that something is different that can be a seed in its own right. Years ago I loosely worked with a guy (he was from another office, and I never met him in person) but he'd apologise for use of even mild profanity when we talked on the phone. I never knew entirely why - when we talked on the phone it was almost exclusively business but I guess he noticed I didn't swear like a drunken sailor, like so many others in the office.

Too much negativity can be unpleasant but we can't "go into the world and preach" unless we first, well, go into the world. It's easy for Christians to hide behind this church activity and that church activity, never actually going out and doing anything that doesn't come under the umbrella of "church" in one way or another. Or we do all sorts of things to invite people to come to church with us but don't go to meet them where they are.

One good analogy I heard years ago that related to the concept of "be in the world but not of it" was to look at a boat. The water isn't supposed to be in the boat, but if the boat isn't in the water it serves no purpose at all.

If you're wanting a Bible study to help you stay close to God, chances are you can get what you need by spending time in prayer. If you're feeling like you need the Bible study to maintain the feeling that God is there, make sure you're not chasing feelings. The reason I mention that is because in my younger years Iwas badly misguided by people who encouraged me to believe that Iwas experiencing God's presence when really what I was experiencing was a natural emotional high, that in turn led me to seek experiences rather than seek God. In that regard I'm reminded of when Elisha was told to keep his eyes on Elijah until he was taken into heaven. When the fiery chariot descended from heaven a lesser man would have been distracted by the signs and wonders (and if I'm honest I suspect I would have been so distracted) and missed the main event of Elijah being taken up in a whirlwind.

Do you have Christian friends you can hang out with during the week?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Even if they never ask you why, if they notice that something is different that can be a seed in its own right. Years ago I loosely worked with a guy (he was from another office, and I never met him in person) but he'd apologise for use of even mild profanity when we talked on the phone. I never knew entirely why - when we talked on the phone it was almost exclusively business but I guess he noticed I didn't swear like a drunken sailor, like so many others in the office.

Too much negativity can be unpleasant but we can't "go into the world and preach" unless we first, well, go into the world. It's easy for Christians to hide behind this church activity and that church activity, never actually going out and doing anything that doesn't come under the umbrella of "church" in one way or another. Or we do all sorts of things to invite people to come to church with us but don't go to meet them where they are.

One good analogy I heard years ago that related to the concept of "be in the world but not of it" was to look at a boat. The water isn't supposed to be in the boat, but if the boat isn't in the water it serves no purpose at all.

If you're wanting a Bible study to help you stay close to God, chances are you can get what you need by spending time in prayer. If you're feeling like you need the Bible study to maintain the feeling that God is there, make sure you're not chasing feelings. The reason I mention that is because in my younger years Iwas badly misguided by people who encouraged me to believe that Iwas experiencing God's presence when really what I was experiencing was a natural emotional high, that in turn led me to seek experiences rather than seek God. In that regard I'm reminded of when Elisha was told to keep his eyes on Elijah until he was taken into heaven. When the fiery chariot descended from heaven a lesser man would have been distracted by the signs and wonders (and if I'm honest I suspect I would have been so distracted) and missed the main event of Elijah being taken up in a whirlwind.

Do you have Christian friends you can hang out with during the week?
Wow exactly, my friend calls it a high and he can come off kind of arrogant and has to correct people when they swear, he told me to expect it but...
From experience yes I was not feeling so much of a high but alive, and after a few days i still feel very well alive im just soaking up the world around me too because i know that they must mingle to seed. He has just converted over from wicca and witchcraft so its a huuuuuge leap for him one that i possibly cant relate to, so my eyes are peeled and ears sealed, he claims he has gifts already but i know to test his spirit. I guess you can say he is my one christian friend but he is extremely based on "feeling" so we are very different, i am overwhelmed for him to have taken such a leap and found the Lord but forgive me he is very anxious it worries me.
I need friends in general but im patient and feeling relaxed for the first time in forever.
The water in the boat analogy is perfect.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Wow exactly, my friend calls it a high and he can come off kind of arrogant and has to correct people when they swear, he told me to expect it but...
From experience yes I was not feeling so much of a high but alive, and after a few days i still feel very well alive im just soaking up the world around me too because i know that they must mingle to seed. He has just converted over from wicca and witchcraft so its a huuuuuge leap for him one that i possibly cant relate to, so my eyes are peeled and ears sealed, he claims he has gifts already but i know to test his spirit. I guess you can say he is my one christian friend but he is extremely based on "feeling" so we are very different, i am overwhelmed for him to have taken such a leap and found the Lord but forgive me he is very anxious it worries me.
I need friends in general but im patient and feeling relaxed for the first time in forever.
The water in the boat analogy is perfect.

I can understand what your friend described, having a past in the occult myself. It is possible he already has spiritual gifts becoming apparent and, having been involved in the occult before, it is entirely possible he will have a sense of discernment that goes beyond what most people would expect. For myself I tend to be very sensitive to when something just doesn't feel right but as I mentioned before it's important not to be ruled by feelings. That feeling that something is wrong will encourage me to look more closely at something, rather than reject it out of hand.

It's good to test his spirit - the Bible specifically calls us to "test all things, hold fast what is good" (1Th 5:21). This is another area where it's very easy to err one side or the other - some folks will reject everything they don't understand while others will throw discernment out of the window and assume anything that happens in church must be from God, anything that "feels right" must be from God, and any inkling they get in their mind must be God guiding them. Too far one way and we risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater, too far the other way and we get led down all sorts of spiritual dark alleys.

In Acts 17 Paul praised the Bereans for how they "studied the Scriptures daily" to test whether things were true. No praise for "searching their heart", "examining their feelings" etc, they searched the Scriptures.

Among the fruit of the Spirit are peace and joy, so if you're experiencing those it's probably a good sign.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I can understand what your friend described, having a past in the occult myself. It is possible he already has spiritual gifts becoming apparent and, having been involved in the occult before, it is entirely possible he will have a sense of discernment that goes beyond what most people would expect. For myself I tend to be very sensitive to when something just doesn't feel right but as I mentioned before it's important not to be ruled by feelings. That feeling that something is wrong will encourage me to look more closely at something, rather than reject it out of hand.

It's good to test his spirit - the Bible specifically calls us to "test all things, hold fast what is good" (1Th 5:21). This is another area where it's very easy to err one side or the other - some folks will reject everything they don't understand while others will throw discernment out of the window and assume anything that happens in church must be from God, anything that "feels right" must be from God, and any inkling they get in their mind must be God guiding them. Too far one way and we risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater, too far the other way and we get led down all sorts of spiritual dark alleys.

In Acts 17 Paul praised the Bereans for how they "studied the Scriptures daily" to test whether things were true. No praise for "searching their heart", "examining their feelings" etc, they searched the Scriptures.

Among the fruit of the Spirit are peace and joy, so if you're experiencing those it's probably a good sign.
So far I have seen good of him since his renewal of faith in Christ. We are currently towns apart because of hurricane harvey, i stayed and he evacuated wharton county. Hopefully it calms down enough where we can attend this sundays service, and you are right the scripture is my sword and in times of delay I always have protection.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So far I have seen good of him since his renewal of faith in Christ. We are currently towns apart because of hurricane harvey, i stayed and he evacuated wharton county. Hopefully it calms down enough where we can attend this sundays service, and you are right the scripture is my sword and in times of delay I always have protection.

Scripture, read in context and rightly divided, will guide you through uncertainties. I stress "in context" and "rightly divided" because if you rip verses out of context you can end up with all sorts of silly conclusions.

A church I attended for a fairly short time used to pull Job 22:28 out of context. The verse says "'You will declare a thing and it shall be established for you". When they first read it something didn't feel right, so when I got home I looked up the verse and, sure enough, that's what it said. The trouble is it wasn't God who said those words, it was Eliphaz the Temmanite, who was chastised by God in Job 42:7. So what the church had done was wrench a verse out from its proper context and stand on a promise that not only did God never make but God had some stern words of correction for the person who did say it.

All that aside, I hope you stay safe with the hurricane.

Top Bottom