• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Matters Archive - Thread: What happened?

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,926,339 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      7.39%
      Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsk View Post
      I'm having fun video recording this message from "Nederland", because for the 3rd or 4th morning in a row, it seems the IP I regularly use has to "knock" and DNS is totally unrecognized for a set period before I can see the site, while a Tor node can get in immediately without problems. So also other proxy type services have no problem seeing the website, only me when I use my normal IP (which also, incidentally, has no issues seeing other websites - JUST this one). While I am here under Tor or other proxy - other visitors who are logged in often show on the bottom of the webpage - showing that it is apparently not offline to anyone but the person using my normal IP.

Of course this must all be in my imagination. Strav is just exercising that stupid paranoia again. Except, recording it this time. I wouldn't have bothered to do that but I really don't like being lied to.
      Seriously Strav, what's with the comments about being lied to?

If it was down to a trust issue I wouldn't have the same issues with you. If I wasn't trusted to the point I wasn't wanted here I wouldn't have the pretty black lettering.

Nobody is saying you aren't having issues, just wondering why you seem to be assuming that having issues means it's something personal. We're talking a connection between a PC and a server here, subject to the usual vagaries of internet connections.

A lot of servers have semi-intelligent processes to screen out things that look like they may become problems. It's the sort of thing you'd expect in a world where the DDoS is a pretty standard exploit to take a server offline for a time. I won't pretend to know the details of just what server is hosting this board but I'd hazard a guess we're not looking at our own dedicated server at this stage so may also be subject to the vagaries of glitches relating to other servers. My own web space is hosted on a shared server, primarily for reasons of cost, and over the years occasionally I've had issues that were ultimately related to another user of the server.

You don't necessarily even have to be doing anything specifically naughty to get tagged as a possible threat to a server - the semi-intelligent processes are looking for the kind of thing that is typically associated with an attack and takes preemptive steps. DNS errors are something else, and I honestly don't know why I get those from time to time other than to observe that, like you, it tends to happen from my tablet and when I've been offline for a time. I'm wondering whether a recent Chrome update has caused it, because it seems to be presenting me with "faster page" options that don't work as well, and I've never seen the problem on my laptop.

As for security at a server level, in many ways it's much like physical security. As I'm sure you know there was a recent bombing on the London Underground and, as is often the case, the initial assumption is that it's probably Islamic terrorists. So in the hunt for those planning similar attacks, perhaps security types are looking out for young men with brown skin and beards, carrying large backpacks on the Tube. That doesn't mean that every young man with brown skin and a beard and a backpack is a terrorist, just that they are more likely to get checked out.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,926,339 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      7.39%
      Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsk View Post
      I'm having fun video recording this message from "Nederland", because for the 3rd or 4th morning in a row, it seems the IP I regularly use has to "knock" and DNS is totally unrecognized for a set period before I can see the site, while a Tor node can get in immediately without problems. So also other proxy type services have no problem seeing the website, only me when I use my normal IP (which also, incidentally, has no issues seeing other websites - JUST this one). While I am here under Tor or other proxy - other visitors who are logged in often show on the bottom of the webpage - showing that it is apparently not offline to anyone but the person using my normal IP.

Of course this must all be in my imagination. Strav is just exercising that stupid paranoia again. Except, recording it this time. I wouldn't have bothered to do that but I really don't like being lied to.
      Seriously Strav, what's with the comments about being lied to?

If it was down to a trust issue I wouldn't have the same issues with you. If I wasn't trusted to the point I wasn't wanted here I wouldn't have the pretty black lettering.

Nobody is saying you aren't having issues, just wondering why you seem to be assuming that having issues means it's something personal. We're talking a connection between a PC and a server here, subject to the usual vagaries of internet connections.

A lot of servers have semi-intelligent processes to screen out things that look like they may become problems. It's the sort of thing you'd expect in a world where the DDoS is a pretty standard exploit to take a server offline for a time. I won't pretend to know the details of just what server is hosting this board but I'd hazard a guess we're not looking at our own dedicated server at this stage so may also be subject to the vagaries of glitches relating to other servers. My own web space is hosted on a shared server, primarily for reasons of cost, and over the years occasionally I've had issues that were ultimately related to another user of the server.

You don't necessarily even have to be doing anything specifically naughty to get tagged as a possible threat to a server - the semi-intelligent processes are looking for the kind of thing that is typically associated with an attack and takes preemptive steps. DNS errors are something else, and I honestly don't know why I get those from time to time other than to observe that, like you, it tends to happen from my tablet and when I've been offline for a time. I'm wondering whether a recent Chrome update has caused it, because it seems to be presenting me with "faster page" options that don't work as well, and I've never seen the problem on my laptop.

As for security at a server level, in many ways it's much like physical security. As I'm sure you know there was a recent bombing on the London Underground and, as is often the case, the initial assumption is that it's probably Islamic terrorists. So in the hunt for those planning similar attacks, perhaps security types are looking out for young men with brown skin and beards, carrying large backpacks on the Tube. That doesn't mean that every young man with brown skin and a beard and a backpack is a terrorist, just that they are more likely to get checked out.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.