Do you ever eat any vegetarian dishes or food?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I used to be a vegetarian for 10 years but not anymore. I do like to eat vegetarian foods at time, too. Do you?:lick:

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Always except when I eat fish or bbq.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to be a vegetarian for 10 years but not anymore. I do like to eat vegetarian foods at time, too. Do you?:lick:

Well, yes! Every time I eat vegetables by themselves. ;)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I actually like vegies.... and I'm a major salad eater. But I've never been a vegetarian.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I hated eating meat when I was younger but then when I got to be in my 30s I discovered I'm healthier when I include it in my diet.

That being said I do like to have meatless meals. Tofu is something I really never learned to like though so it's not something I'll go out of my way to eat.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I love meat and seafood to much to ever eat that way

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Yes, most of my meals are meat free. However I do like bacon! :lick:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

YESLORDIWILL

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Married

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our neighbors had some cute friendly chickens that would come around to say hello...and I still eat chicken :D

YESLORDIWILL

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I'm a huge animal lover but still at times don't mind eating them, weird

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah, I'm a huge animal lover but still at times don't mind eating them, weird

My daughter has guinea pigs and I know that in some countries those are eaten. But I just can't ever do that!

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I hated eating meat when I was younger but then when I got to be in my 30s I discovered I'm healthier when I include it in my diet.

That being said I do like to have meatless meals. Tofu is something I really never learned to like though so it's not something I'll go out of my way to eat.

Oh I love that. Was raised vegetarian, so when you get nothing else but cooked brown beans w a slice of bread or a baked piece of cheese or an egg day in day out, tofu is delicious if you discover it, with enough salt and stuff, otherwise it's tasteless. I asked my dad: How on earth could you get 3 kids to eat without meat? It's the only thing my kids like.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm an indirect vegetarian.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Oh I love that. Was raised vegetarian, so when you get nothing else but cooked brown beans w a slice of bread or a baked piece of cheese or an egg day in day out, tofu is delicious if you discover it, with enough salt and stuff, otherwise it's tasteless. I asked my dad: How on earth could you get 3 kids to eat without meat? It's the only thing my kids like.

Mom's side of the family raised during and post WW2 - first in Holland, then the USA. Mom comes from a large family (and poor too) - and meat (excepting eggs) was rarely on the menu, even after immigrating to the USA. No one grew up malnourished. People who are malnourished on vegetarian diets are usually not eating the right plant foods for their protein and mineral needs.

Personally - at this point I still eat meat - although less than I used to. I love my vegan meals.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I suppose if meat isn't an option then tofu would be heaven :)

I used to like a certain brand of veggie burger when my daughter went vegetarian for a couple years. It had more flavor than a meat burger and could easily be microwaved in a rush for a meal.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I suppose if meat isn't an option then tofu would be heaven :)

I used to like a certain brand of veggie burger when my daughter went vegetarian for a couple years. It had more flavor than a meat burger and could easily be microwaved in a rush for a meal.

I used to buy tofu. Every once in a while I still do. Plain tofu is pretty much tasteless - like some other beans - so the taste is going to depend on what spices it's mixed with and how it's cooked. Really though - it's just one option among many. Here's a comparison between tofu and pumpkin seeds. As you can see - pumpkin seeds blow tofu away in many areas, including protein and iron content. Overall vitamins and minerals are also much higher:

Tofu: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4468/2

Pepitas: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3066/2

The pre-packaged veggie burgers offered where I'm at typically are tasty but don't fill you up for long. The main ingredient is usually potato - so it makes them cheap to make for the manufacturer, and a poor choice for a consumer looking for a suitable meat replacement.

Btw - have you heard of the "impossible burger"? It sounds interesting to me - not sure I'm game though. In any case - not available here in Aus at the moment.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I haven't heard of the Impossible Burger until you wrote it. The FDA won't approve it yet from what I am reading.

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
My daughter is a vegan has been for a long time now so we changed with her to being a pescatarian/vegetarian, no meat comes in this house anymore, when we go shopping we by pass the meat section as we now call it death row..

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I haven't heard of the Impossible Burger until you wrote it. The FDA won't approve it yet from what I am reading.

Just the one ingredient that gives it the authentic beef taste. Soy Leghemoglobin - which is a component of soy plant's roots and is apparently mass produced through a process involving yeast for use in the burger.

The FDA has just recently not given approval on the basis that soybean plant's roots have never been part of human's diet. While I agree it's not a normal menu item in any culture I'm aware of - I do doubt it's never been tried, and it is natural in the sense that the ingredient itself is natural - but this may be the first time it has been mass produced for a more concentrated amount in vegan foods (in this case a vegan burger) using yeast.

Given it's history with Aspartame and other products, I do not trust the FDA to not be without bias here - and while I'm not sure I'm on board all the way with the ingredient - the burgers it is made with are very popular and a lot of people say it tastes like meat and would gladly give up meat to have this substitute.

If that sentiment is popular world wide, AND the ingredient is truly safe - this is very big food news - it would effect a lot of industries, including heavily hitting the meat industry.

Top Bottom