Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Is there a go to food or drink that gives you energy? Is it coffee? A smoothie? Pasta?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I drink a few cups of coffee in the mornings but mostly because I'm addicted to it rather than strictly for energy. The energy gained is not the kind of energy you want before a long run - it's more the instant adrenaline/noradrenaline that caffeine forces your body to use to produce that "alert" status rather than giving true energy.

I also drink coffee on occasion after certain meals, and I also think this is the reason caffeinated drinks are a given in certain "typical" Western meals, whether they be fast food or restaurant. Those meals being characterized by a fairly equal portion of carbohydrate (complex or simple) and animal product - meat/eggs etc. After scarfing down a sizeable portion of animal protein and some bread or pasta - within an hour or so I find myself wanting to take a nap rather than do anything else. This is because the body is expending an enormous amount of energy just trying to digest such a meal. So, coffee or caffeine drink to "the rescue".

That being said - meals involving soaked/cooked legume and/or soaked seed type (completely replacing animal protein) + complex carbs such as pasta or wholegrain bread provide no such digestion difficulties and thus leave me with energy rather than rob me of it. No caffeine required after these type of meals.

I don't do it nearly as often as I should - but when I add sprouted grains (I dehydrate them first and powder for storage) to fruit or vegetable juices on an empty stomach I can experience mild to crazy energy levels depending on my waking state - how much sleep I've gotten that night/week - whether or not I used alcohol and how much, etc.

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
I drink coffee but honestly it does nothing for me on the energy side to be honest, cant say I found any foods either that works. The only thing that works is getting enough sleep which sadly I dont anymore it must be an age thing I dunno but its annoying like hell sometimes. I think if its a nice day and the sun is out that makes me feel good and I can actually get to doing things my back and foot allowing me to now .. still in a lot of pain from both but under the doctor and physio unit enough tho I cant do many of the exercises yet.. so will tell her that on thursday... Pasta makes me tired because its a food that just sits there in your tummy and makes you feel warm and sleepy..lol...Altho I do like pasta alot.. rice I like to but not sure if they make energy of sorts...

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know that people will balk at this...but sugar gives me energy! I get really hyper on a bit of sugar :D I have a super clean house though LOL

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I know that people will balk at this...but sugar gives me energy! I get really hyper on a bit of sugar :D I have a super clean house though LOL

It gives everyone energy. The amount of energy, how many minerals are used in the giving of it, how long it lasts and how big the "sugar blues" are depend on the kind of sugar a person eats though. A wholegrain pasta or bread will still break down into sugar - but more slowly than eating something made with sucrose or glucose. The whole grains come with minerals and vitamins that help metabolize that sugar as they are slowly converted from complex starches into simple glucose or blood sugar.

Pure white sugar and other processed sugars still need vitamins and minerals for them to impart their energy. If they aren't present in the sugar source (and they aren't in white sugar) - they come from your body's mineral and vitamin stores - leaving you with less.

If a person eats no carbohydrates at all and only meat - the body is still going to start converting the animal protein into sugar to keep up glucose levels in the blood.

So, no balking from my pov - just realize that your sugar source alone doesn't give you energy - it still requires vitamins and minerals for that to happen - and if those aren't contained in the sugar source - they have to come from your body's reserves. So eating a processed sugar is still introducing a thief into your body - one that will rob it of various minerals and vitamins in order for it to be metabolized.

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No

I understand what you mean there Lamm I love sugary things, like cakes, sweeties, biscuits etc, but have to be careful how much I eat of it now as I'm diabetic and make to much as it is now.. But I do still eat some just have to watch how much even tho I am on med's for it...

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is there a go to food or drink that gives you energy? Is it coffee? A smoothie? Pasta?

Depends what you mean by "gives you energy".

A cup of coffee is good for a quick pick up but not good as a fuel source. When I did long distance cycling I'd start the day with oatmeal, then top up with cereal bars and calorie loaded candy around the route.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Further to the above, I remember a time when I was in the grocery store looking at the nutritional information for their candy and doing much mental arithmetic to figure out which one offered the maximum calories for the minimum cost. A store employee came by and asked if I needed help, and when I said I was looking at the calorie content they helpfully guided me towards the sugar-free options. They seemed puzzled when I said I was actually looking for the one with the most calories in it, but relented when I explained why :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Depends what you mean by "gives you energy".

A cup of coffee is good for a quick pick up but not good as a fuel source. When I did long distance cycling I'd start the day with oatmeal, then top up with cereal bars and calorie loaded candy around the route.

Yes! I loved when I did a lot of cycling because I could eat ANYTHING I wanted and still lose weight!! I wish I could cycle around here but it takes too long to drive to a spot to do it and then cycle and then drive back home. My days are too busy to spend all that time so I just use my trainer in the basement. I'll never be able to ride long there now because it's not as fun as being outside. But it's helping me to lose weight...and I'm still eating candy ;)

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
There really isn't anything that makes me feel energetic. A nice beer makes me feel a bit of a lift! lol

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There really isn't anything that makes me feel energetic. A nice beer makes me feel a bit of a lift! lol

My husband likes beer too. Which kind is your favorite?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My husband likes beer too. Which kind is your favorite?

I like just about any beer except the mass produced stuff. If it's Miller Lite, Bud Lite, Coors Lite etc, the only reason I'll drink it is if it's socially awkward to refuse it.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This may come as a surprise but beans are a wonderful food for fighting fatigue as they contain magnesium and iron and stabilize blood sugar. For Lammchen, a jelly bean is not included in the selection of beans to give energy, my dear.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Sleep works better. I drank 20 coffee today but still haven't woken up. Time to go home from a very productive day at the office.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I want more sleep. After having a cough for 5 weeks (it's really almost gone except for rare moments) and now my husband has begun coughing...sleep is not going to be the norm for a while.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Joshs Mountain Dew maybe lol

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I really think I could be considered an addict of caffeine. Let's just say it's bad and leave it at that.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Doesn't overload of caffeine have a negative effect instead of giving more energy?

Top Bottom