• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Ethics & Debate Center - Thread: How do Love and Judgement Differ?

    1. #1
      Ruth's Avatar
      Ruth is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Midwest
      Posts
      4,095
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      10,156
      CH Challenge
      8
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (18,195 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,345
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      63.34%
      Rep Power
      346

      Cool How do Love and Judgement Differ?

      How do Love and Judgement differ? Can you love and judge, too?
      Judge tenderly, if you must. There is usually a side you have not heard, a story you know nothing about, and a battle waged that you are not having to fight.Hidden Content

    2. #2
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      69
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      12,627
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      1,317
      CH Challenge
      89
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (3,232,062 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      54,439
      Level
      59
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.76%
      Rep Power
      588
      Absolutely you can
      Isaiah 40:31

    3. Likes Ruth liked this post
    4. #3
      Josiah's Avatar
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      6,590
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      116,220
      CH Challenge
      270
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      67,720
      Level
      64
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.4%
      Rep Power
      894
      IMO, it has to do with attitude and purpose.....

      JUDGING is condemned in the Bible. it stems from a "holier-than-thou" attitude that seeks to put down others (and thus make self look better by comparison); it seeks to hurt. This is condemned because it is the anti-thesis of love and because it ignores the reality of our own sinfulness, our own fallen nature.

      CORRECTING is mandated in the Bible. We are to apply the Law. But it stems from great humility (for we too are sinners who live and breathe ONLY because of God's mercy, grace and forgiveness) and with the purpose of HELPING our brother, to help them up (not put them down). There's an old Christian saying that goes something like this: "The church is not a country club for those who egotistically CLAIM to be goody-goody but a hospital for those who know they are sick." We're in this together.... and we need the help of each other.... and that involves both Law and Gospel (properly applied).


      That's my half cent....


      - Josiah
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

    5. Likes Lämmchen, Ruth liked this post
    6. #4
      tango's Avatar
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...
       
      Mood:
      Bemused
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      Elsewhere
      Posts
      6,314
      CH Cash
      3,030
      CH Challenge
      32
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,950,971 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      28,751
      Level
      46
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      8.3%
      Rep Power
      718
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      IMO, it has to do with attitude and purpose.....

      JUDGING is condemned in the Bible. it stems from a "holier-than-thou" attitude that seeks to put down others (and thus make self look better by comparison); it seeks to hurt. This is condemned because it is the anti-thesis of love and because it ignores the reality of our own sinfulness, our own fallen nature.

      CORRECTING is mandated in the Bible. We are to apply the Law. But it stems from great humility (for we too are sinners who live and breathe ONLY because of God's mercy, grace and forgiveness) and with the purpose of HELPING our brother, to help them up (not put them down). There's an old Christian saying that goes something like this: "The church is not a country club for those who egotistically CLAIM to be goody-goody but a hospital for those who know they are sick." We're in this together.... and we need the help of each other.... and that involves both Law and Gospel (properly applied).


      That's my half cent....


      - Josiah
      With respect, I think judging is critically important. It's far from condemned in the Bible - what is condemned is unrighteous judgment. Many pull Matt 7:1 out of context and merely quote "judge not, lest ye be judged yourself" but if it's taken in the context of the next few verses it's clear that Jesus isn't telling us not to judge, he's telling us to judge righteously. He condemns those who pick at specks in the eyes of others while they have logs in their own eyes (the unrighteous, or hypocritical, judgment) but goes on to say how we should remove the log from our eye so that we can see clearly to remove the speck in our brother's eye (emphasis mine). There's no sense that we shouldn't be removing the speck, merely that we should remove our own log first.

      We cannot correct someone unless we have considered their actions and judged them to be sinful. We cannot reject the teaching of the false christs and false prophets that Jesus warned us about unless we test their teaching against Scripture and judge it to miss the mark.

      As you quite rightly say we should do so in love - there's a world of difference between loving correction and being haughtily judgmental.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

      "If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

      The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

    7. #5
      MennoSota is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      3,941
      CH Cash
      16,598
      CH Challenge
      232
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      16,097
      Level
      36
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.26%
      Rep Power
      414
      God is Love. God is also Judge. These attributes work perfectly together.

      It would not be a loving judge who did not enforce the law. The judge would be unjust by not enforcing the law. A just judge is a loving judge. Fair and righteous. To allow a law breaker to go free without paying the penalty for the crime would be reprehensible and immoral.

      Perfect love and perfect judgment go hand in hand with perfect harmony.

    8. Likes Imalive liked this post
    9. #6
      Imalive's Avatar
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,315
      Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      497,906
      CH Challenge
      0
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      10,573
      Level
      30
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.25%
      Rep Power
      268
      Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
      How do Love and Judgement differ? Can you love and judge, too?
      For people?
      Yes Paul judged that it was bad that a guy lived w his dads wife and delivered him over to satan out of love cause later he was saved.

    10. #7
      Imalive's Avatar
      Imalive is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      2,315
      Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      497,906
      CH Challenge
      0
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      10,573
      Level
      30
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      53.25%
      Rep Power
      268
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      God is Love. God is also Judge. These attributes work perfectly together.

      It would not be a loving judge who did not enforce the law. The judge would be unjust by not enforcing the law. A just judge is a loving judge. Fair and righteous. To allow a law breaker to go free without paying the penalty for the crime would be reprehensible and immoral.

      Perfect love and perfect judgment go hand in hand with perfect harmony.
      Yes but He also hates evil. People sometimes say He only hates the sin, not the sinner, God loves everyone. I cannot believe He loves people who are now in hell like those pharisees He judged quite harshly. He hates the devil.

    11. #8
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      2,737
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      4,507
      CH Challenge
      84
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      15,118
      Level
      35
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.79%
      Rep Power
      427
      Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
      How do Love and Judgement differ? Can you love and judge, too?
      I can love some people only by God's strength alone. I think the key is to first focus on loving God and then he grows in us the fruit of the Spirit which is love.

    12. #9
      MoreCoffee's Avatar
      MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      16,031
      CH Cash
      19,858
      CH Challenge
      695
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      43,319
      Level
      54
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      10.84%
      Rep Power
      674
      I guess the question is "How can a person both love and condemn another?"

      Love does not mean "blind to the other's wicked acts" so clear apprehension of the wicked things done by the other ought to bring condemnation of the wicked things done. Love may mean forgiving the wickedness if it is within the power of the one who condemns to also forgive.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

      He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •