What would you do - has this ever happened to you?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
This is the first time I've experienced this.

I had a bunch of garlic that I bought a few weeks back. It was from a local grocer but marked "product of China". Last night I decided to pulverize it and dehydrate it. I opened all the bulbs to separate each clove prior to throwing them into the blender. After adding a little water and blending what came out was a creamy white substance I spread out on dehydrator trays.

Prior to this, I had used my dehydrator to dry a bunch of onion - also pulverized and made into a paste to spread out on the trays. The bottom tray hadn't completely dried though - so I left it in while using the remaining empty trays to spread the garlic paste around.

This morning - I looked and much of the garlic paste is a bright GREEN! Panic - did I miss some off garlic? I didn't notice any when I was blending it. Did it spread everywhere?

Look online...read a few articles where this can happen because of certain chemical reactions that have to do both with a heat change and garlic and onion exposed to each other at the same time.

So now I have a bunch of dehydrated green garlic. I'm not sure whether to keep it. It's not like I spent a whole bunch on it - maybe $4 or something all told.

Have you ever experienced this with garlic, either cooking or dehydrating it??

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
That's really weird! No. I have never had anything like that happen before. Is the taste okay?

I just googled and everyone is saying the exact same thing...like they all copied and pasted from the source ;) But I did find a site that said the garlic flavor will be stronger the greener it is.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I don't normally taste test garlic on it's own - so I couldn't tell you if there was a difference between this and non-green garlic - but it was very strong.

I've decided to keep it. I found a few more articles detailing the same thing from different sources. That - and I don't think it's possible for garlic to go off so quick even if I had missed a rotten bit. I don't think I did - I checked all the cloves and there was no hint of decay that I could see at any time prior to this morning - not in the cloves, not after they were blended - and the green was not moldy green - but bright green, almost fluorescent.

I'll be mindful though. If for some reason I start seeing smurfs or something dancing around my kitchen after eating a garlic flavored meal - I'll know where to look.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Yes, please keep us informed if you're created some new drug ;)

Top Bottom