Business and personal values

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi there, I am newbie to this forum so you will not know me (yet). Iwould like to offeryou some advice here, and like all advice you can always ignore it if it does not chime with you :).

I am 60 years old and have worked in about 8 different positions many as a consultant which meant I was asked to support other companies that I did not choose to work for and some of them had ethics I did not agree with. So to a certain extent I recognise your dilema and problem.

Thankfully, for you, it is you that has the final call on this decision. You can choose to not work for this new company and turn down any interview and save yourself and your prospective employer a great deal of heartache.

The truth is you do NOT agree with their stated ethical position on abortion. And for the record I share your views in ths. Thequestion running through your head at the moment is will you be able to take the job and keep your views private? That is what are the chances of you having to counsel a pregnant woman who wants an abortion?

Well all I can say is if the company has this as a stated value, then it will happen sooner than later. And you will then be in a worse place than you feel right now, because you will have said you can work within the constraints when in truth you cannot.

Make the decision now. Look elswhere and move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even though I come from the more liberal side of things and am pro-choice, I liked your response, and took the time to pray for God's will to be done.

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes. Pro-choice in the sense that one clinician cannot insert their values against abortion with a youth who may be considering it, just as another clinician cannot insert their values in favor of it with a youth who is considering having their child, or is considering adoption. Some Christians consider adoption against Christian values as well, or single-parent homes. There are actually a lot of 'nuances' behind their policy.That's what I was alluding to earlier about what seems "cut and dry" not being so at all, and why I really needed the time to consider this.

But pro-choice isn't anti-adoption ... it's pro-choice. That's the big difference.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
At the end of the day if he takes the job he will have to serve his employer and his client - which means - taking a positive stand towards abortion when his client decides that, and taking a positive stand towards having a child when his client decides that.

As much sense as this may not make, the stand I'm being asked to take is neutral insomuch as my value system doesn't enter the counselling picture, best case scenario. Of course, I'm not naive enough as to think that my personal value system won't be challenged, deeply at times, because I know that many times I've faced, and will face situations that go against some deeply held values. But, because a client has decided on a 'different path' it becomes my issue, and professional duty, to resolve the issue for myself if it has affected me personally.

That isn't really the role of a Councilor, in my opinion - it's the role of an Advisor until a strong decision is come to - then the Advisor status fades to a "yes man" status.

A counselor really isn't either one - something I learned early on. There was a time that a counselor did act as more as an advisor, and when the 'good advice' wasn't taken, then the person was being 'resistant' and needed a 'corrective' plan. I also played the part of the complacent "yes man" until the outfit I was working for had their major contract pulled for unethical treatment and started to go out of business. Then, either I woke up and jumped the sinking ship, or drowned along with the rest of the crew. I jumped ship very quickly. I took quite the verbal beating from the director for that, didn't get my final pay for a month, and he didn't speak to me for close to a year.
So, yes, there will be the times that an ethical or moral stand will have to be taken. It could well be that I'll find myself somewhere down the road in a position unrelated to the one I'm interviewing for where I'll have to say "you know, I just can't..."

So, we'll see. Thanks for your experience.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
This is off-topic, but I would be more than happy to talk with you privately about this. My Mum had cancer ... and died. But her mindset wasn't helpful ... positive, etc... yet she died, and no one got to say good-bye, because in her head, she was going to live.

It is off topic in the sense that the subject matter differs, however the point I was making about criteria and coming to conclusions was on topic.

I thank you for your offer, but I need to politely decline. I would rather speak publicly about the subject matter as I have done so in the past on this MB and others. My wife and her parents died within a 3 year time span -all of cancer. Just in the last year or so, another friend died of cancer. Without exception - every single one of them took the "orthodox" route to some degree or another, and without exception - they all suffered because of it. They were given false hope and lies about "breakthrough new drugs and treatments" which were, in some cases, encouraged by family who hasn't a clue what the cancer scam and industry is about.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Waiting on a good word for this position. One more reference for them to check, and waiting for their contract with the funder to be finalized.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My wife and her parents died within a 3 year time span -all of cancer. Just in the last year or so, another friend died of cancer.
I'm so sorry. When did this happen? How old were they?

Without exception - every single one of them took the "orthodox" route to some degree or another, and without exception - they all suffered because of it. They were given false hope and lies about "breakthrough new drugs and treatments" which were, in some cases, encouraged by family who hasn't a clue what the cancer scam and industry is about.
What is the "orthodox" route, and what is the alternative routes you consider better choices? 😕

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I'm so sorry. When did this happen? How old were they?

What is the "orthodox" route, and what is the alternative routes you consider better choices? 😕

My wife, in her early 30's and her parents were older - 70's, 80's. My friend, in her 50's.

The "orthodox" route are the choices offered to those in the Western world by the establishment as - surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. The alternative routes are often resisted because they involve large lifestyle and diet changes. Or they are (or were) illegal because they are a threat to the establishment.

Top Bottom