Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you go to Flea Markets? Have you ever sold anything in a Flea Market?

This morning my husband and I went to a new one in our town and it was really small. Once it grows with more sellers I'd be interested in returning.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Can't stand them. Avoid them like the plague.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some of them can be interesting. There's one not far from where I live where most of what gets sold is junk - it's far from rare to walk around and think I've thrown away nicer stuff than what they seriously expect people to pay for. But every once in a while you can find a gem there. I bought a clock for an absolute steal a while back. It didn't work (I knew that when I bought it, my plan was to fix it) but even so the price was just silly.

There's another one a few miles from home that's somewhere between a flea market and an antique cooperative. Every once in a while I go and have a look around, usually if I just want to while away some time. I hardly ever buy anything there because the prices are perhaps most tactfully described as "optimistic".

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I got rid of my cooties at one, but picked up something much worse. He didn't treat me right. :p

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I like them once in a while. Now my sister goes often and if you tell her to keep her eyes open for a specific item she can come up with amazing finds for cheap:)

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
We used to go mainly for toys but we haven't been to one in years now, I think I have enough of my own stuff to be fair. I should sort out my old childcare stuff and go sell it myself...

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was little I used to think thats where you go to buy fleas..I was silly..lol

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I was a teen there was a booth at the local flea market that sold GIANT JELLY DONUTS!! These things must have been the equivalent of 5 jelly donuts! They were fresh and so good :D

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

This morning my husband and I went to a new one in our town and it was really small. Once it grows with more sellers I'd be interested in returning.

years ago our youth group in Virginia got a booth and sold Crispy Cream donuts for a fund raiser. Don't ever do that by the way, especially in the summer. Donuts melt.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I used to frequent one back in Michigan every week. They had a good variety, and the vendors usually had new stuff every week. It was indoor/outdoor, so it was easy to spend a few hours.
The major flea market in Vancouver, I haven't been to yet. When finances allow, I plan to make a day trip of it.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

Go to: Yes, sometimes.
Sold at: Have not, no.

There's a lot of junk at such markets, of course - but sometimes you can find a bargain on something that someone else obviously considers junk but suits your needs. The ones in my area also typically feature fresh produce and grains for sale cheaper than the supermarket.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If I had time to look through the tools I probably should buy some new pipe wrenches.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Farmer's markets are more interesting to me than flea markets. Unless there's a lot of antiques to look at they hold no interest to me.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If I had time to look through the tools I probably should buy some new pipe wrenches.

If your local flea markets are anything like mine I wouldn't bother. I've seen people trying to sell taps and dies that were so badly rusted I'd be amazed if they worked at all. Yes, I guess you can scrape the rust off but if you want something with a particular thread pattern you want the thread pattern, not what's left of the thread pattern after all the rust is removed.

One thing I find quite remarkable about so many craft shows is the sheer number of people who file in, wander past all the vendors without really looking at anything, buy a hideously overpriced cookie and then file right back out again. I guess it's the same mentality that goes to Taco Bell when there's an authentic Mexican restaurant right next door, or goes away on vacation to eat at McDonalds.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Some of it, I think, is having that one thing in mind that they're looking for. My dad restores antique cars, and before a major car show every year in Hershey, PA, he gets online with a bunch of guys to compare 'notes' about who has what. but he'll typically come back with a certain "look what I found..." as well.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Farmer's markets are more interesting to me than flea markets. Unless there's a lot of antiques to look at they hold no interest to me.

There is supposed to be a huge Farmer's Market about an hour from me. A guy from where I used to work told me to put a big cooler in my car to take things home! I'm waiting for family to visit so they can go with me and have fun :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some of it, I think, is having that one thing in mind that they're looking for. My dad restores antique cars, and before a major car show every year in Hershey, PA, he gets online with a bunch of guys to compare 'notes' about who has what. but he'll typically come back with a certain "look what I found..." as well.

You're right that some people are going for just one thing so they stroll past everything else.

It also could be that some are frequent fliers and know what everyone is selling ;)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You're right that some people are going for just one thing so they stroll past everything else.

It also could be that some are frequent fliers and know what everyone is selling ;)

Or frequent fliers who know most of it is junk?

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Farmers markets are great to mill around on a Saturday morning while its still cool and pick up some fresh produce and other items.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Although it can be nice to reminisce while perusing the antiques in a flea market, I find that the junk from my youth is not something I wish to purchase and have in my home so I too favor farmer markets where there are more useful products such as food grown by local farmers. Keeping the locals in business is important to me.

Top Bottom