Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Quad Cities style pizza originated in the area of Iowa and Illinois. It then extended throughout the Chicagoland area into Indiana. It starts with a crust that has a nutty flavor then a spicy sauce and very fine crumbled sausage with a hefty amount of cheese topping.

Here is a link to the recipe I used:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/quad-cities-style-pizza/15158/?utm_term=.56a869c367cf

Make Ahead: The dough needs to rest in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours, then needs to sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.

Servings:
Tested size: 16 servings; makes two 12-inch pies

Ingredients

For the crust
4 ounces (1/2 cup) warm water
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast, preferably SAF brand
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) malt syrup (see headnote)
4 1/2 cups (18 ounces) bread flour, or more as needed
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2/3 cup (5 1/3 ounces) ice water

For the toppings
1 tablespoon fennel seed
2 cups cooked, finely crumbled Italian sausage
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
18 ounces (4 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

For the crust: Combine the warm water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough-hook attachment; let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, then add the malt syrup, flour, salt, pepper, dried oregano, sweet paprika and ice water. Beat on low speed for about 2 minutes, then increase the speed to medium and mix for another few minutes to form a dough that is smooth and elastic.

Divide the dough in half; wrap each portion in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours. Before shaping the pizza, bring the dough to room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.

Place a pizza/baking stone on the lowest oven rack; preheat to 450 degrees. If you don’t have a baking stone, invert a large baking sheet on the lower rack.

Place each dough ball on top of its own 12-inch square of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to stretch and roll each dough ball into a 12-inch round, folding the edges of the dough over about 1/2 inch and crimping with your thumb and forefinger, to form a lip.

For the toppings: Stir the fennel seed into the cooked and crumbled sausage. Stir the crushed red pepper flakes into the tomato sauce. Spread half of the tomato sauce across the surface of each dough round. Sprinkle the seasoned sausage evenly over the sauce, then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese, being sure to spread it evenly over the sausage.

Use a pizza peel to carefully transfer one pizza (with its parchment paper) to the pizza/baking stone; bake for up to 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.

Let the pizza sit for a few minutes before using kitchen shears to cut it crosswise into strips that are about 1 1/2 inches wide; then cut down the center (so the long strips are cut in half). Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.

One thing I learned is do NOT use a rolling pin to roll out the dough! Use Parchment paper and with two fingers start spreading the dough out from the center without overworking it. You want the air bubbles to remain otherwise the crust is too dense!

My homemade pizza sauce was good but it wasn't the same as from the pizza place back home so I'll keep trying others. I also wanted to add that I sprinkled grated Romano cheese over the sausage before adding the mozzarella.

My Pizza pic:
86a0ebe1-893a-4b41-beac-99840d7f2f57.jpg

Top Bottom