CH Cash
      (113,624 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.15%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Often people stop posting in a thread when it becomes apparent that their interlocutors are no longer responding to the argument at hand. Or when prayer is deemed more effective and fruitful than further discussion. So I cannot agree with you that "When people get offended by theological discussion it's not because of any flaming that has gone on but the fact that they don't feel they can back up what they believe." Such may be the case in a few cases but I regard it as unlikely to be true in many.
      Prayer is fine but that isn't conversation. There are members here who want to discuss theology and I've heard them say they don't want kumbayah because that won't help them grow. When someone's theological stance is questioned, that's not flaming the person. That's an important distinction that needs to be addressed.

I do realize there are people more sensitive than others who shouldn't be participating in theological discussions if they cannot handle their beliefs being challenged. They should know that about themselves and maybe stay out of such threads and remain in the chat threads or fun threads. That doesn't make them unChristian do that.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      49.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Prayer is fine but that isn't conversation. There are members here who want to discuss theology and I've heard them say they don't want kumbayah because that won't help them grow. When someone's theological stance is questioned, that's not flaming the person. That's an important distinction that needs to be addressed.

I do realize there are people more sensitive than others who shouldn't be participating in theological discussions if they cannot handle their beliefs being challenged. They should know that about themselves and maybe stay out of such threads and remain in the chat threads or fun threads. That doesn't make them unChristian do that.
      I do not agree.
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (113,624 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.15%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      I know of at least ten who left because of the slant the board had and that is not speculation as many of them pm'ed me and told me that. Personally I think the slant has improved and I hope that eventually some of these will come back.
      There has never been a slant to the board as the claim has gone. We've been told we're a Catholic site...yet we have one active Catholic. He happens to be the top thread starter! Thank you to MoreCoffee for growing the board

If members don't want to see so many Catholic threads being discussed they have every right to start new threads. Don't blame the thread starters who are trying to keep the place alive by insinuating there is a slant to the board. Start new threads! I've encouraged members from the beginning to do so and will continue until Romanos decides that if there is no activity that the site should have the plug pulled.

Members leaving is something that will happen on every site for a wide variety of reasons. Some leave because they don't like certain members. Others leave because they don't like the way theological discussions are going. Others leave because they aren't being paid enough attention to or don't feel welcomed. And others leave because there isn't enough activity on the board (not enough new threads to post in/not enough posts to respond to).

This isn't just Romanos' site. You're all a part of keeping it alive. It can't just be up to staff to try to hold it together. That means that if the site dies everyone is partially responsible.
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

4. Likes Romanos liked this post
      MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      49.95%
      One naughty Catholic spoils the whole forum!

I can't help but laugh at the idea that I have managed - single handed - to make CH into a Catholic web site
      Pope Gregory I was well known for his alms to the poor, and he gave quite generously of the riches donated to the Church by the wealthy people of Rome. Everything from money to land was given to the poor in some fashion. He made clear to his subordinates that their duty was to relieve the distress faced by the poor.

He ordered his clergy to go out into the streets to find and care for the poor in person.

Wilhemena is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      18.55%
      Here is my take on this, for what it's worth, and feel free to disagree or agree or perhaps ignore what I have to say, I'm an onion with many layers and won't be harmed by someone's opinion here or anywhere. That is how it is as you age not that anyone should listen because I am old but here I am rambling instead of speaking my mind. My activity in certain forums here is limited not because I do not want to put myself out there with my beliefs, oh goodness no, it is just that I have heard many of the same questions and arguments or debates as some refer to over the years so rarely has anything exciting and unique come up. Now, that does not mean I won't learn something new that our Lord would like to present to me through his scriptures but I have given my reason as to why I do not vigorously respond to the threads in question.

With that said, I adore the members who have a strong passion for our Lord and if they desire to push forth the gospel and it does not give false witness than bravo to them and carry on! If you have someone leave because of your passion then don't feel guilty, for we are all adults here and they have chosen to take that path that steers them away from here and we all live by our own choices.

The naysayers of this site could very well be those who are holding it back and stunting the growth if the lookers on see all that negativity coming forth from them because who would give the best reviews than the existing members of any site. I was an outsider looking in at one time and I assure you that I would not have been persuaded to join if I came across declarations from members who were not happy here. Present yourself wisely or don't present yourself at all, that's food for thought and my two cents.

7. Likes Tigger, Josiah, Lämmchen, IACOBVS, Romanos liked this post
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (113,624 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.15%
      One naughty Catholic spoils the whole forum!

I can't help but laugh at the idea that I have managed - single handed - to make CH into a Catholic web site
      If more members would create new threads then your monarchy would be overtaken If they want you to continue to reign, then that's their fault!

9. Likes IACOBVS liked this post
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (113,624 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.15%
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhemena View Post
      Here is my take on this, for what it's worth, and feel free to disagree or agree or perhaps ignore what I have to say, I'm an onion with many layers and won't be harmed by someone's opinion here or anywhere. That is how it is as you age not that anyone should listen because I am old but here I am rambling instead of speaking my mind. My activity in certain forums here is limited not because I do not want to put myself out there with my beliefs, oh goodness no, it is just that I have heard many of the same questions and arguments or debates as some refer to over the years so rarely has anything exciting and unique come up. Now, that does not mean I won't learn something new that our Lord would like to present to me through his scriptures but I have given my reason as to why I do not vigorously respond to the threads in question.

With that said, I adore the members who have a strong passion for our Lord and if they desire to push forth the gospel and it does not give false witness than bravo to them and carry on! If you have someone leave because of your passion then don't feel guilty, for we are all adults here and they have chosen to take that path that steers them away from here and we all live by our own choices.

The naysayers of this site could very well be those who are holding it back and stunting the growth if the lookers on see all that negativity coming forth from them because who would give the best reviews than the existing members of any site. I was an outsider looking in at one time and I assure you that I would not have been persuaded to join if I came across declarations from members who were not happy here. Present yourself wisely or don't present yourself at all, that's food for thought and my two cents.
      I really appreciate your words of wisdom!

Staff doesn't mind listening to members who are disgruntled but I think you have a good point that when members are complaining too often that it puts the whole site in a bad light. They aren't helping

We do have the Member Admin Center where we welcome members to tell us what they like and don't like about the site. We're always looking for ways to improve. It's the unfounded claims such as this is a Catholic site...when we only have active Catholic that makes me raise my eyebrows and wonder if we're at the same forum?

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      78.04%
      One naughty Catholic spoils the whole forum! I can't help but laugh at the idea that I have managed - single handed - to make CH into a Catholic web site

I rejoice in having at least one active Catholic here! I wish we had many more, but I rejoice in having you here, Philip. While we obviously disagree (actually it's rare, it's just what tends to get discussed), each with each other to exactly the same degree on exactly the same issues because, well - you are a conservative/traditional Catholic and I a conservative/traditional Lutheran now, and for those unaware, Catholics and Lutherans while very similar are not in absolute lock-step total agreement in everything (some Catholics and Protestants are not aware of that). But you do a good job of communicating Catholicism here, I just wish you weren't alone in doing that.

It is ABSURD for any to regard this as denominational. There is and never has been one denominational dominance here. And I rejoice in that.

Pax Christi

- Josiah
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

12. Likes Lämmchen liked this post
      ~Jo~ is offline The Cakeslayer
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Always look on the bright side
      of life..

Mood:
      Tired

Country
      UK
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (10,050 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.69%
      Hmm ok after reading everything I'm not 100% sure how most of the posts have anything to do with the women leaving but then what do I know..

Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (113,624 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.15%
      Quote Originally Posted by ~Jo~ View Post
      Hmm ok after reading everything I'm not 100% sure how most of the posts have anything to do with the women leaving but then what do I know..
      We still have women posting here as you see and Strav has informed us of some secret reason dealing with some unknown punitive actions according to Rens. As for why Brighten and Cassia have left, only they can divulge that. But not all of our women have left. I think we've always had a higher ratio of men to women as members here anyway.

15. Likes Josiah liked this post