Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Often people stop posting in a thread when it becomes apparent that their interlocutors are no longer responding to the argument at hand. Or when prayer is deemed more effective and fruitful than further discussion. So I cannot agree with you that "When people get offended by theological discussion it's not because of any flaming that has gone on but the fact that they don't feel they can back up what they believe." Such may be the case in a few cases but I regard it as unlikely to be true in many.

Prayer is fine but that isn't conversation. There are members here who want to discuss theology and I've heard them say they don't want kumbayah because that won't help them grow. When someone's theological stance is questioned, that's not flaming the person. That's an important distinction that needs to be addressed.

I do realize there are people more sensitive than others who shouldn't be participating in theological discussions if they cannot handle their beliefs being challenged. They should know that about themselves and maybe stay out of such threads and remain in the chat threads or fun threads. That doesn't make them unChristian do that.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Prayer is fine but that isn't conversation. There are members here who want to discuss theology and I've heard them say they don't want kumbayah because that won't help them grow. When someone's theological stance is questioned, that's not flaming the person. That's an important distinction that needs to be addressed.

I do realize there are people more sensitive than others who shouldn't be participating in theological discussions if they cannot handle their beliefs being challenged. They should know that about themselves and maybe stay out of such threads and remain in the chat threads or fun threads. That doesn't make them unChristian do that.

I do not agree. :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know of at least ten who left because of the slant the board had and that is not speculation as many of them pm'ed me and told me that. Personally I think the slant has improved and I hope that eventually some of these will come back.

There has never been a slant to the board as the claim has gone. We've been told we're a Catholic site...yet we have one active Catholic. He happens to be the top thread starter! Thank you to MoreCoffee for growing the board :)

If members don't want to see so many Catholic threads being discussed they have every right to start new threads. Don't blame the thread starters who are trying to keep the place alive by insinuating there is a slant to the board. Start new threads! I've encouraged members from the beginning to do so and will continue until Romanos decides that if there is no activity that the site should have the plug pulled.

Members leaving is something that will happen on every site for a wide variety of reasons. Some leave because they don't like certain members. Others leave because they don't like the way theological discussions are going. Others leave because they aren't being paid enough attention to or don't feel welcomed. And others leave because there isn't enough activity on the board (not enough new threads to post in/not enough posts to respond to).

This isn't just Romanos' site. You're all a part of keeping it alive. It can't just be up to staff to try to hold it together. That means that if the site dies everyone is partially responsible.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
One naughty Catholic spoils the whole forum!

:smirk:

I can't help but laugh at the idea that I have managed - single handed - to make CH into a Catholic web site :p

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Here is my take on this, for what it's worth, and feel free to disagree or agree or perhaps ignore what I have to say, I'm an onion with many layers and won't be harmed by someone's opinion here or anywhere. That is how it is as you age not that anyone should listen because I am old but here I am rambling instead of speaking my mind. My activity in certain forums here is limited not because I do not want to put myself out there with my beliefs, oh goodness no, it is just that I have heard many of the same questions and arguments or debates as some refer to over the years so rarely has anything exciting and unique come up. Now, that does not mean I won't learn something new that our Lord would like to present to me through his scriptures but I have given my reason as to why I do not vigorously respond to the threads in question.

With that said, I adore the members who have a strong passion for our Lord and if they desire to push forth the gospel and it does not give false witness than bravo to them and carry on! If you have someone leave because of your passion then don't feel guilty, for we are all adults here and they have chosen to take that path that steers them away from here and we all live by our own choices.

The naysayers of this site could very well be those who are holding it back and stunting the growth if the lookers on see all that negativity coming forth from them because who would give the best reviews than the existing members of any site. I was an outsider looking in at one time and I assure you that I would not have been persuaded to join if I came across declarations from members who were not happy here. Present yourself wisely or don't present yourself at all, that's food for thought and my two cents.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One naughty Catholic spoils the whole forum!

:smirk:

I can't help but laugh at the idea that I have managed - single handed - to make CH into a Catholic web site :p

If more members would create new threads then your monarchy would be overtaken ;) If they want you to continue to reign, then that's their fault!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here is my take on this, for what it's worth, and feel free to disagree or agree or perhaps ignore what I have to say, I'm an onion with many layers and won't be harmed by someone's opinion here or anywhere. That is how it is as you age not that anyone should listen because I am old but here I am rambling instead of speaking my mind. My activity in certain forums here is limited not because I do not want to put myself out there with my beliefs, oh goodness no, it is just that I have heard many of the same questions and arguments or debates as some refer to over the years so rarely has anything exciting and unique come up. Now, that does not mean I won't learn something new that our Lord would like to present to me through his scriptures but I have given my reason as to why I do not vigorously respond to the threads in question.

With that said, I adore the members who have a strong passion for our Lord and if they desire to push forth the gospel and it does not give false witness than bravo to them and carry on! If you have someone leave because of your passion then don't feel guilty, for we are all adults here and they have chosen to take that path that steers them away from here and we all live by our own choices.

The naysayers of this site could very well be those who are holding it back and stunting the growth if the lookers on see all that negativity coming forth from them because who would give the best reviews than the existing members of any site. I was an outsider looking in at one time and I assure you that I would not have been persuaded to join if I came across declarations from members who were not happy here. Present yourself wisely or don't present yourself at all, that's food for thought and my two cents.

I really appreciate your words of wisdom! :)

Staff doesn't mind listening to members who are disgruntled but I think you have a good point that when members are complaining too often that it puts the whole site in a bad light. They aren't helping :(

We do have the Member Admin Center where we welcome members to tell us what they like and don't like about the site. We're always looking for ways to improve. It's the unfounded claims such as this is a Catholic site...when we only have active Catholic that makes me raise my eyebrows and wonder if we're at the same forum?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One naughty Catholic spoils the whole forum! I can't help but laugh at the idea that I have managed - single handed - to make CH into a Catholic web site

I rejoice in having at least one active Catholic here! I wish we had many more, but I rejoice in having you here, Philip. While we obviously disagree (actually it's rare, it's just what tends to get discussed), each with each other to exactly the same degree on exactly the same issues because, well - you are a conservative/traditional Catholic and I a conservative/traditional Lutheran now, and for those unaware, Catholics and Lutherans while very similar are not in absolute lock-step total agreement in everything (some Catholics and Protestants are not aware of that). But you do a good job of communicating Catholicism here, I just wish you weren't alone in doing that.

It is ABSURD for any to regard this as denominational. There is and never has been one denominational dominance here. And I rejoice in that.

Pax Christi

- Josiah

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
Hmm ok after reading everything I'm not 100% sure how most of the posts have anything to do with the women leaving but then what do I know..

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hmm ok after reading everything I'm not 100% sure how most of the posts have anything to do with the women leaving but then what do I know..

We still have women posting here as you see and Strav has informed us of some secret reason dealing with some unknown punitive actions according to Rens. As for why Brighten and Cassia have left, only they can divulge that. But not all of our women have left. I think we've always had a higher ratio of men to women as members here anyway.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
We still have women posting here as you see and Strav has informed us of some secret reason dealing with some unknown punitive actions according to Rens. As for why Brighten and Cassia have left, only they can divulge that. But not all of our women have left. I think we've always had a higher ratio of men to women as members here anyway.

Not secret, just not specific. The reason was stated to me as a theological reason. The punitive actions, since you've clarified that the only ones had to do with Snerfle at that time - yes, they concerned him and were seen through the lens of this theological reason. A perceived bias.

Since Rens has chosen to briefly explain to me in private, and not to share here, I only wanted to speak generally and not just repeat what she shared with me verbatim.

Just for clarity - I don't happen to share Ren's opinion. I don't think the punitive actions against Snerfle had anything to do with people's differing theology or bias - or if they did - it was a very minor part - and the reality had much more to do with the flaming that Lam has mentioned earlier.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Father in heaven, Thank you, Lord, for salvation in Jesus only, thank you that we are saved because you chose to give us your Son Jesus to die and pay for our sins and rise from the grave securing our salvation.
Thank you for our sisters in Christ being faithful to your Word and also the call you have on each of their lives, doing what you would have them do at this time in their lives.

Please protect each one with your Holy angels and armor. If it be your will, please bring more here, and others back, to have a fuller fellowship and to extend forgiveness and encouragement, as deeply loved and needed members of the body of Christ. Thank you for them, Lord.

Also, Lord Jesus, if there's anyone on this site who isn't saved or is unsure if they even CAN be, please let them know how much you love them, and have them embrace the once for all forever sacrifice you gave for them upon the cross. Help them settle it once and for all, Jesus, that you are their Saviour and Lord, and anyone who comes to you by faith you will in no wise cast out.
Hallelujah and thank you, Lord, for all your love, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Until we actually hear from the 3 ladies who have left maybe that's the end of the thread for now?

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
ok thanks for replying everyone.

Top Bottom