Would your youth think this was "cool"?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This is the most recent (unedited) FB update for the youth group at a church I once attended. The youth group call themselves "Ill Ministries"

"Whats up crew!! We have had a great year!! Tomorrow night is the last core group of the season and the last youth night of the season till September. All guys core groups are heading to get air abbotsford - details via your core group leaders. and girls groups you will also be getting details via core group leaders for yours. - We love you all! PEACE
SUMMER SESH: YOUTH ALPHA WILL BE STARTING JULY 4th @ ___ 6:30-8:30 - Dinner, games, and great conversation"

Is that engaging to youth? I don't know, myself. Youth was a while ago :)
If you were not a member of "Ill Ministries", would you want to know more?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
This is the most recent (unedited) FB update for the youth group at a church I once attended. The youth group call themselves "Ill Ministries"

"Whats up crew!! We have had a great year!! Tomorrow night is the last core group of the season and the last youth night of the season till September. All guys core groups are heading to get air abbotsford - details via your core group leaders. and girls groups you will also be getting details via core group leaders for yours. - We love you all! PEACE
SUMMER SESH: YOUTH ALPHA WILL BE STARTING JULY 4th @ ___ 6:30-8:30 - Dinner, games, and great conversation"

Is that engaging to youth? I don't know, myself. Youth was a while ago :)
If you were not a member of "Ill Ministries", would you want to know more?

I'd need to do a search for "air abbotsford" but the rest is comprehensible even though it is way too "millennial"

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It sounds exactly like what I'd hear from someone in the 25 and less kids. The girls might be wondering why they don't get to go to Get Air Abbotsford though LOL

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I guess this one was pretty mild. Abbotsford Air was (I think) referring to our yearly air show, and maybe the reference was to arrangements to attend. The language I typically see, though, was closer to the reference to "SUMMER SESH!" and similar euphemisms. At times, I think youth engagement goes a bit off the rails. Because I've been on the other side of things, and know some of the social service programs out there in the community for youth, this type of engagement seems like it would be foreign to them. The youth in the area seems to be a bit more mature than this, and typically don't talk this way. Or maybe they do, and I don't notice. Idk...
Perhaps the adults get a different FB update :D

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh, I thought it was a trampoline park!

Some of the 20somethings I used to have as students would say "sesh" without hesitation! I think the only thing I wouldn't hear is "We love you all!" That's more of the 30-50 something crowd.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Adult version:

Members of ‘XYZ Assembly’: My how the year has gone by so quickly! Remember, we will be returning to our regular Sunday schedule of one service per week at 10:00 am. Sunday school and child care will be provided. Please remember to connect with your cell-group leaders about attending the upcoming Abbotsford Air Show! Details are forthcoming. Pastor Pete would also like to remind everyone that our summer ‘Alpha’ program is beginning soon, so bring your neighbors, friends, and yourselves for a wonderful time of conversation, games, and light supper!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Adult version:

Members of ‘XYZ Assembly’: My how the year has gone by so quickly! Remember, we will be returning to our regular Sunday schedule of one service per week at 10:00 am. Sunday school and child care will be provided. Please remember to connect with your cell-group leaders about attending the upcoming Abbotsford Air Show! Details are forthcoming. Pastor Pete would also like to remind everyone that our summer ‘Alpha’ program is beginning soon, so bring your neighbors, friends, and yourselves for a wonderful time of conversation, games, and light supper!

Sooo wordy! LOL

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
You'd prefer "SUMMER SESH!"? :D

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's zany so it would attract my attention more.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Young folk always have had their coded languages. Many times the code is revived from a previous generation. It's part of growing up. Now that I am no longer in the "youth" category I prefer standard English.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Young folk always have had their coded languages. Many times the code is revived from a previous generation. It's part of growing up. Now that I am no longer in the "youth" category I prefer standard English.

That's cool :240:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Funny, our youth group probably would have put out something similar to the adult version - but they were Presbyterian so it went with the territory :D

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would hang out with them..they seem chill

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was never "cool." Even when I was a youth, I was never a youth.

I have no clue what "they" regard as cool. When I relate with youth, I regard them as adults - and treat them pretty much the same. Doesn't seem to be a big problem, but it's very likely they don't think I'm cool. And there's probably a good reason for that.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was never "cool." Even when I was a youth, I was never a youth.

I have no clue what "they" regard as cool. When I relate with youth, I regard them as adults - and treat them pretty much the same. Doesn't seem to be a big problem, but it's very likely they don't think I'm cool. And there's probably a good reason for that.

Weren't you on message boards as a kid? That makes you cool in my book :D

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Weren't you on message boards as a kid? That makes you cool in my book :D

It NEVER ceases to amaze me how many people "remember" me from CF when I was like 16.... or some other sites when I was like 12! I hardly remember myself from then! I was passionate, struggling, too open.... I'm MUCH more at peace with all (even self) now.... much happier now (my wife has a lot to do with that)... "peace" that's a good word. I HATE that I'm often seen as argumentative and fightsy.... I was just struggling, troubled, DEEPLY seeking something. Sometimes people treated me like ________ but I wasn't detoured. People.... and Jesus..... gave me what I sought.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I definitely was not 'cool'. Even the youth leader let me know that.That's getting pretty low at that stage :D

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I definitely was not 'cool'. Even the youth leader let me know that.That's getting pretty low at that stage :D

Naturally I was always cool :smirk:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

You see a person who isn't cool is the one who tells others they aren't...so your Youth Leader he was lame ;)

Top Bottom