Women - Do you eat?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Sure, your bodies grow babies, and you run marathons; but 'Special K' wants you to know that you do it all because.....

You eat.

Thoughts?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's true in a way.

When my daughter had her eating disorder her brain got really messed up...because she wasn't feeding it. If you feed the body you feed the brain. Luckily the damage that was done was reversible and my daughter is fine now! :)

So I kind of get where they're going with that eating thing and how it helps us do things. But then again, we all eat.

Another way I look at it is that there are women who skip breakfast. Without saying it this commercial says to Eat Breakfast.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I think the initial kerfuffle, from what i read, was the idea of linking 'Special K' products specifically to being a strong woman. Sort of a misguided marketing ploy. Special K itself has gone on to say they are specifically re-branding it's product toward that end - empowering women. But does consuming a breakfast/snack product contribute to female empowerment? That was the question raised. Here's the initial article:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/foodanddri...t-and-fails-hilariously/ar-BBByePH?li=AAggsmr

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I think the initial kerfuffle, from what i read, was the idea of linking 'Special K' products specifically to being a strong woman. Sort of a misguided marketing ploy. Special K itself has gone on to say they are specifically re-branding it's product toward that end - empowering women. But does consuming a breakfast/snack product contribute to female empowerment? That was the question raised. Here's the initial article:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/foodanddri...t-and-fails-hilariously/ar-BBByePH?li=AAggsmr

LOL! So by default they are alienating the male market for Special K? I hate food marketers - because for processed food the marketing is typically full of half truths, stupid platitudes and exaggerated benefits.

One has to be sort of daft to actually believe that buying and consuming a processed cereal actually makes a woman more 'empowered'.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I read the link you've given and I don't agree that it's a feminist advertising approach. Special K has long promoted dieting toward women. But not men. I remember a commercial of a woman wanting to fit into a special dress or bikini and that eating that cereal helped her achieve that goal. It gave a low calorie count which implied that women shouldn't eat much.

I think the new slogan is lame. But it doesn't encourage eating disorders like the other one did. I think because I had an eating disorder in high school and so did my daughter that I view things with that in mind. Kudos to Special K for encouraging women to feed their brain!

Top Bottom