Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
My dad is getting deeper and deeper into genealogy and I need to get his password for the computer program he uses or no one will ever know about his research some day in the future.

Does anyone here use any software for their genealogy?

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No, my dad does. He looked it all up. We have Jewish ancestors, from Surinam, we even have black family members. A Jewish slave owner in Surinam married his slave. And a Dutch guy who sailed the sea and once rebuked a storm on see. The Jewish guy found Jesus in the Torah and wrote a book how he got saved. One got eaten by a sword fish, that was his brother. He took care of his kids and we're family from the sword fish guy. The rest is uninteresting so that I don't know. Oh my moms granddad was the Dahlia king. He invented the Dahlia.

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
My bloodlines are Colonial American: my people had all settled the area by the time Independence was declared in 1776. My ethnicity is largely English, partly Scottish and Scots- Irish, 1/8 French and 1/16 German and a little Swiss mixed in. My ancestors settled Virginia ( some went to Kentucky), Maryland, North Carolina ( and later Tennessee) and Louisiana.

My father's side of the family was largely Methodist ( with one Lutheran going back to the early 19th Century, my 3X great grandmother, Frances Montgomery Stoneburner, daughter of Gottlieb Steinbrenner and Margarethe Bars, attended the new Jerusalem Lutheran Church in Lovettsville, VA). The Gooding side of the family was from Fairfax County and the name had gone through so many mutations ( Gooding/ Goodwin/ Goodin) that tracking the family is truly very difficult. The Dove and Dennis families that married into the Gooding family were old style Virginians. My dad's mother, Elna Thorne, was a Marylander ( Methodist religion) from Oxon Hill. The Thornes were in Maryland from the early days.

My mother's side of the family's more complicated. The McDonalds were a Scottish family from the Cape Fear Highland settlement in what is now Cumberland County, North Carolina. The English Coxes and Cecils, the Scots- Irish Lawsons and the Scottish Bairds married into the McDonalds, while the German Peavyhouses married into the Cecils, the New England Smiths married into the Bairds. That was my maternal grandfather's side. My maternal grandmother's side was Louisiana French, through the Pecots, Armelins, Perrets and Bossiers, while German Coast German Rommels and von Arensbergs married into these Louisiana French families.
That was her mother's side. Her father's side of the family, the Cornetts, were from Kentucky, but they settled Virginia first, as Anglicans. Her father's mother, Nancy Maggard, descended from Swiss Anabaptists ( Hans Maegert migrated to Pennsylvania in the early 1700s and the name morphed into Magard as they went down to Virginia. His great grandson, Samuel Maggard, married a Scots- Irish woman named Rebecca Robertson before they moved down into Kentucky). So, the Maggards and Cornetts were Baptists by the time my great grandfather, Henderson Cornett, was born in Hindman, Kentucky. He met my great- grandmother when he went down to New Orleans, looking for work. My great grandmother came from a devoutly Catholic family and when she married a Protestant, her family disowned her until Henderson agreed to take instruction in the Catholic faith. My grandfather McDonald was raised as a Presbyterian, but later became a Baptist, as did my previously Catholic grandmother. They met in Washington, DC, in the early to mid twentieth century.

I was born in 1973, in Fairfax. Virginia, the younger child and only son of my parents. I was raised as a Baptist, became Catholic when I was 21 and later on became Lutheran, when I was living in Florida in 2013. So, there's my bloodline.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I am, you are, we are Canadian!

;)

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
This is an interesting thread, to see how many people are more than one ethnicity - people of all ages. Canada is known for being multicultural (as opposed to American "melting pot"), but multiculturalism happened a whole long time before PM Pierre Trudeau put a name to it. I am 50% English, 25% Swedish, and the rest a little Irish (not enough to matter) and the rest was Yugoslavia (not sure where, though, so can't say in today's geographical terms). The English is all from my dad's side - he is 100% English. My grandpa on my mom's side was Swedish. I'm not sure how my Granny's breaks down on mom's side. In fact, mom only found out about a decade ago that she has an eighth of Irish in her.

My mom dug into genealogy when she was going through the empty nest syndrome, and she continued her research with the advent of the internet sites that deal with these matters. Most of her information came from older family generations and what they recalled from their childhoods.

My mom's grandfather's brother died on the Titanic when he was 19. Our family still has a letter he mailed the day before he sailed. He was in steerage.

On my dad's side, there is a story about Tennyson and when he wrote "Crossing the Bar" - I don't recall the details about that part of it so much, but my ancestors were tradesmen - they had an ocean vessel and did trade with ports in Africa (iirc) - all I know is we were very surprised to find someone of African ancestry who has my father's last name - considering dad is 100% English. Anyway, they had a legitimate business, but they were running rum on the sly. lol. Another ancestor was a madam of a brothel. Not all were of such ill repute, though, as we had some who were lawyers, and there was even a castle in the family. When I was a young lady (lol) I met some of my English relatives, and they offered to take me to England, show my the castle, introduce me to the relative who owned it, and teach me about my heritage. Sadly, partying was more important and so I decided to stay in Canada and party on. However, when the owner of the castle died, the family sent her son's (a lawyer) revolving bookcase that he was given upon graduating from law school. He had the same initials as me, and it was on an engraved slab of silver on top of the bookcase. If you're still reading this, wow. I thought I was the only one who thought my family history was half entertaining. lol

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Mine is simple. Mum was English, Dad Swedish. Both were many generations the same though Mum would have had Scottish ancestry judging by the surnames on her side.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm German and Danish..... but I like Mexican and Italian food.

One of the MANY great things about being an AMERICAN is that you are welcomed, invited, encouraged to appreciate ALL cultures and heritages....

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm German and Danish..... but I like Mexican and Italian food.

One of the MANY great things about being an AMERICAN is that you are welcomed, invited, encouraged to appreciate ALL cultures and heritages....

Be careful Josiah, Donald may throw you behind the wall (into Mexico I think) for eating Mexican food.

:smirk:

Last edited:

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Be careful Josiah, Donald may through you behind the wall (into Mexico I think) for eating Mexican food.

:smirk:

Nothing beats good Mexican food. I don't think Trump would be able to withstand the backlash if he tried to meddle with that. Same with good Chinese, Japanese and Thai food ( which I happen to like).

Last edited:
Top Bottom